ForumsThe TavernGlasses

130 19234
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Who's got them and why?
I had an eye exam today and will be having to get glasses for the first time for astigmatism in my right eye. I should get my glasses sometime after the holiday.

• 130 Replies
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

It's painless.

I prefer being without glasses as much as possible... which is only when I go to sleep. Without my glasses I can't see much at all. I don't want to find myself in a situation where I suffer from serious bodily harm or even death, because I can't see.

Hmm...

Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

I have glasses, I'm quite short sighted, I should probably wear them. I do not, however, wear my glasses. The main reason for this? They make me look like Sosuke Aizen from Bleach.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

They make me look like Sosuke Aizen from Bleach.

That doesn't seem that bad.
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081219163021/bleach/en/images/thumb/c/cf/Pre-Defection_Aizen.jpg/190px-Pre-Defection_Aizen.jpg
Evanpunked
Evanpunked
48 posts
Nomad

I have some really bad eyes, like -5.0 or somewhere around there, really near-sighted. Have the worst eyes in my family. Guess you just get used to wearing glasses all the time

IcyIndia
IcyIndia
1,344 posts
Nomad

Ok, judging by Evan's post, I have somewhere around -7.6. I think.

So, here's a question. Does wearing glasses make your vision better or worse? Besides the effect of wearing glasses.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Does wearing glasses make your vision better or worse?

Wearing your crutch (glasses) helps you see because it focuses light directed into your cornea. So your vision is better from this, but your vision naturally deteriorates over time. It has nothing to do with wearing glasses itself. So every 1-2 years, I myself have to go get newly-updated prescriptions because my vision goes up by about 2-4 points.

And when you wear glasses, most of the focusable areas are sharp, but the areas around the glasses are blurred, but those are the areas that you aren't focusing. It's no big deal. So if you do plan on getting glasses, you will get used to it in about a month.
IcyIndia
IcyIndia
1,344 posts
Nomad

And when you wear glasses, most of the focusable areas are sharp, but the areas around the glasses are blurred, but those are the areas that you aren't focusing. It's no big deal. So if you do plan on getting glasses, you will get used to it in about a month.

Was this directed at me? I wear glasses. I've worn them since I was five, so I suppose I'm pretty used to it.
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

I have glasses cause i read too much in da dark. DON'T DO IT! it really screws up ur eyes-_-

Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

That doesn't seem that bad.

Not unless your friends are rampant anime fans who will constantly remind you of the fact - and force you to dress up like Aizen.
C_is_for_Cookie
C_is_for_Cookie
713 posts
Nomad

I had glasses! Got contacts last year yays
they took me like a year to get too haha because my eyes are like super sensitive or something. They didn't really appreciate having some clear thing stuck up there.
Anyways... my best friend's cleaning lady stole my backup glasses, so I get some new ones soon and im excited! I had the plastic rectangle ones and they were really cute so I'll probably get some like them. Theyre kinda a pain though, especially when you can't wear sunglasses or with ski goggles so I'm really liking my contacts(:

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

I have -7,5 in my left eye and -8 in my right eye, so I know what I'm talking about.
Glasses are way better than contact lenses for the eyes, at least on a long term run. Contact lenses are a little better for focusing since the correction area is right on your eye, however, it causes said eye to become more fragile over time. Wearing lenses from morning to midnight will slowly cause you eyes to become so sensible that they may become impossible to operate with laser surgery. Also, this fragility may result in your eyes becoming so frail that they won't be able to whistand lenses anymore. It is strongly suggested that you take off your lenses after supper and put on glasses so your eyes can relax from the stress caused by the apposition of the contacts.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

As long as your cornea is fully intact, there should be no reason why you can't get LASIK eye surgery. How would lenses directly affect your organs if it naturally deteriorates over time?

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

As long as your cornea is fully intact, there should be no reason why you can't get LASIK eye surgery. How would lenses directly affect your organs if it naturally deteriorates over time?

The stress caused by the apposition of the lenses slowly pushes microscopic veins in the iris; once these veins are steadily rooted, it becomes dangerous to operate with laser. I'm not a professional, but I've seen plenty of optometrists, thrust me.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I can barely make out the big E, and after that it's all a blur. I've been thinking about a monocle.

Monocles are win. You can use a scaled down photograph of a Snellen chart as basis for determine your eyesight. Real-life charts are much bigger.
CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

Well I have glasses but I have contacts as well which I usually wear during the week or Im working.

Showing 61-75 of 130