ForumsThe TavernGlasses

130 19235
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Who's got them and why?
I had an eye exam today and will be having to get glasses for the first time for astigmatism in my right eye. I should get my glasses sometime after the holiday.

• 130 Replies
zlajba946
zlajba946
27 posts
Nomad

yeah i'm wearing glasses for about 12 years

my left eye turns a bit right nothing serious but i have to weart theem
and i can do well witouth them

iheart801
iheart801
71 posts
Nomad

I have had glasses for about 17-18 years now. I am extremely near sighted. Take off my glasses and I can only see clearing for about 7 inches in front of my face, everything past that is blurry. You learn to live with glasses. Plus you get to pick out fun glasses to wear.

deadhead50
deadhead50
341 posts
Nomad

i 'wear' glasses, only when im put in a situation to put them on they give me a headache if i wear them all day and the doc told me too D:<

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

The only glasses i've ever worn are the fake lens ones, sadly.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

The only glasses i've ever worn are the fake lens ones, sadly.

How is this a sad thing? Considering majority of the world has less than 20/20 eyesight, you should consider yourself lucky.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

@Master, lulz, i know. I just think glasses are cute.

About 13 years ago, when a lot of my friends wore glasses, i used to be miserable at not being able to, hence the fake lens ;]

iMogwai
iMogwai
2,027 posts
Peasant

I first got glasses when I was about 5. I used them 'til I was about 12, then I started using contact lenses instead. Something that annoyed me with glasses was that some headphones didn't fit that well when you were wearing them. Same problem with earmuffs. There was also the problem with not really being able to wear glasses when you went swimming. Anyways, those were some of the reasons why I started wearing contacts.

The reason why I had to use glasses is because I can't see well at all without them, when using both eyes. My left eye is an idiot. If I look straight forward with both eyes, without glasses or lenses, everything's really, really blurry. If I want to see anything, I need to let my left eye go lazy, and just focus on the fellow eye (the right one, in my case). I tend to see double, but it's usually not hard to tell which image is the real one.

Confused? You should be. Here's a decent explanation. And yes, when I was a kid, I had one of those eyepatches like the kid on the picture sometimes, and I did have surgery for it once.

I really hated those eyepatches. They were so sticky, it felt so freaking uncomfortable. Sometimes I hid when it was time to put them on.

Erico27
Erico27
16 posts
Shepherd

I actually think that more people are going to get glasses, considering the amount of glasses on kids these days. I have had glasses since 5th grade, and more and more of my friends have been getting them since.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

I have pretty bad vision (-3.25 power). I wear contacts now, but I wore glasses starting in fourth grade, then switched in eights grade. Contacts can be a real hassle, but I would never go back to glasses. They have much worse peripheral vision, they have to be cleaned, and they are never as clear. I (usually) can't even feel them at all.

Even with my contacts on, I have a hard to reading street signs from a distance while driving. This is extremely frustrating, because I often don't know what lane I should be in until it is too late.

I actually think that more people are going to get glasses

Vision tends to get worse with age, not better. But I actually disagree: as alternatives to glasses become cheaper and better, I think more people will opt out of glasses. I mean, if Lasik surgery becomes cheap, people who qualify will likely just get that instead.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I don't wear my glasses often, only when I'm reading a book/news article/newspaper/etc., or if I need to read something that is far away. I don't think that I'll ever get contacts because I don't like the idea of having to touch my eyes.

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

I might get some reading glasses (I have to read To Kill a Mockingbird over the summer and the text is so tiny), but other than that I don't have glasses or contacts.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

My vision is amazing. I can read even the smallest letters on the chart.

Even if my vision sucked, I'd probably choose glasses over laser surgery. I don't like the idea of someone sticking a laser into my eye. Glasses are just....glasses.

One other thought, why are glasses no longer referred to as "spectacles"?

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,157 posts
Nomad

@Ernie15

I guess people just don't think they're as *spectacular* as they once were. :P

Also, the surgery may be better in the long run. Glasses you have to repurchase every time they break; you don't have to rebuy laser surgery.

@All

I have glasses, but most of the time I wear contacts. I have astigmatism; in fact, my eyes were so bad when I was born that I had to have surgery immediately. Without glasses on or contacts in, I can allow my vision to go slightly blurry, or control it and see mostly fine. People say that, when I switch rapidly between blurry and clear, my right eye wanders back and forth. O_o

idontsuckthatmuch
idontsuckthatmuch
2,261 posts
Nomad

why are glasses no longer referred to as "spectacles"?

Because glasses aren't a "spectacle" anymore. ;D

Double pun FTW!

I'd probably go for laser surgery once I'm old enough, if I have enough money, and if I qualify.

It's annoying to get out my glasses if I need to see something far away. I'd rather do that 24/7 without the help of glasses.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Yeah, I don't think that I'd ever get laser eye surgery either. I don't feel comfortable having a laser getting into my eye. I don't even feel comfortable when I'm getting my eyes checked for glasses. My eyes are very sensitive.

Showing 91-105 of 130