ForumsThe TavernMillion Dollar Button

180 26245
SubZero131
SubZero131
598 posts
Nomad

If you had a button that gave you One Million Dollars at the expense of one random human life every time you pressed it, how many times would you press it?

I figure this will show human greed. You become richer by the press, but also destroy someone elses life. Not to mention there family and loved ones.

How many times would i press it? hehehehe...

All of this is hypothetical so no ones going ask you how you got rich.

• 180 Replies
EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

I do know one is worth more than just money

Life is expendable. Get used to it.

I'd press it exactly eight times. Why? I don't know. Eight just sounds like a cool number for this scenario.

As a side note: Do I get to choose how they die?
FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

I wouldn't press it, although I can't deny that the pressure imposed on me from having such a solution at my side would probably take quite a toll on me.

My guess is that I'd flinch for a one time push in the end. Now the question is; would I be able to live with it?

I would press it. People who say they wouldn't are too ignorant to realize how insignificant a human life is.

Though I can understand the concept of individual life being worth nothing in the face of the collectivity; by saying that you admit that your own life is worth nothing and that you wouldn't even care if another one's button would kill you.
I think human existence is priceless, and I'm not being naive, I'm being lucid; must I remind you that though we're many, we've only one attempt at living.

idontsuckthatmuch
idontsuckthatmuch
2,261 posts
Nomad

There's a pretty high chance i wouldn't press it. even though that money would be nice, I don't really see all that much importance in having a million dollars (in the grand scheme of things, of course), and I'd have to live with the guilt of killing someone. I just couldn't do that.

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

I don't really see all that much importance in having a million dollars (in the grand scheme of things, of course), and I'd have to live with the guilt of killing someone. I just couldn't do that.

When you'll leave your parent's place you'll see what's one million dollars in the grand scheme of things. I'm one of the most frugal and unmaterialistic person of my entourage, yet the cost of life is so heavy that I'm struggling to eat three meals a day.
Student life, student life...

Drink
Drink
1,621 posts
Blacksmith

i would press it only if i was in dire need of money like if my mom didnt have the money to pay the bills or we needed food or something then i would press it and i would go out and spend it all i would use it for important things like i said above food,water,bills but if like my family members or friend needed surgery or something i would help pay for it

loloynage2
loloynage2
4,206 posts
Peasant

4 times. 2 millions would go to charity to save a good thousand people. And the other 2 i would keep to myself.

Killing 4 people to save more? i think it's wise enough.

Pedro97
Pedro97
1,868 posts
Jester

I would press it 10 times. I would give half of the money for charity institutions and share 2 million to my family. The rest I would keep for myself to spend on something. 10 more people dying in a day would not make much difference. The money I got would help a lot of people and I would help my family at the same time. With my money I would by a decent house, 2 good cars and make anything I want with the rest :P

Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,420 posts
Nomad

I don't trust charities.

d_dude
d_dude
3,523 posts
Peasant

I wouldn't press it, but I would show it to people to test their will power. If they pressed it, I would leave, and maybe do something bad to them, if they didn't I would somehow reward them.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I wouldnt because i don't think that button would restrain from killing me or one of my family members.

sourfrog
sourfrog
10 posts
Nomad

Like others have said, this is just the plot to the movie The Box, so if you're going to rip off an idea at least give some credit.

loloynage2
loloynage2
4,206 posts
Peasant

I don't trust charities.

I make my own charity.
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,206 posts
Peasant

Like others have said, this is just the plot to the movie The Box, so if you're going to rip off an idea at least give some credit.

"the box" ripped it off too. It wasn't their idea.
jacksonghuntington
jacksonghuntington
347 posts
Nomad

this is a movie right?? oh well. id press the button. 1 mill is a lot. it sounds like im a bad person now...

Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,420 posts
Nomad

I make my own charity.

Exactly.

And why wouldn't some of you press the button? It is really just insignificant. More people die in one hour than you would press.
Showing 91-105 of 180