ForumsSupport ForumHigh Scores a little too high?

84 17779
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Is it just me or is some of the high scores people get on some of the games a little too high?

For Example:

Corporation INC: All time record on Hard: 8 Hours
All Time record on Medium: 1 Day 6 hours
All Time record on Easy: 2 days, 4 hours

I will admit that with cheats enabled in the game this may be feasable, but without them? 8 hours on hard in corporation INC?

A few more:

Solip Skier: 1,999,999,999

1,999,999,999??? What?

This is the Only level TOO (TITOLT): 00:00 for the first 155 people in All Time Scores

Epic Combo: All time original: 00:00
All time unlimited: 2,147,483,647 for the first 14 scores

I have played these games alot and used to take a little pride in my scores. But when people hack the game and post phony high scores it kinda frustrates me because i cant ever get close to being number 1. I am not the kinda guy who HAS to win all the time but it feels good once in a while to get up the ranks a little ways. I think that scores that seem phony or are phony should be removed and whoever posted it blocked. That way giving the other people a chance to win some high scores too! What do you guys think?

• 84 Replies
Jeez
Jeez
2 posts
Nomad

blah. i understand nothing...

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

I have a question - how do you actually determine if a score is "too high" or not. I can understand getting, for example, 0 seconds on Epic Combo, but it is possible to get very crazy scores without any cheating.

I could tell, back when Vector Rush was new, that quite a few people were hacking the scores to the billions. I made quite a calculation and found that, while the game was only out for a couple days, actually obtaining the questionable scores would have taken weeks. Putting aside the possibility of such scores, which is theoretically true, can someone actually be able to continuously play a game for weeks on end? That can be questionable.

Here's another way. Sure, there are some games out there that can produce seemingly-impossible scores that are reality, but there are other games that can only humanely reach a certain point. When there are scores that are clearly past that threshold, then it is a hacked number. A time-limited score submission for example. You could only do so much in so little time. If someone breaks the maximum amount that you can possibly get, then it is a hacked score.
Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

People hack the highscore tables a lot on flash games. I agree, though, it is pretty silly how outrageous their scores are...not to mention a little sad that that's all they do to have fun and feel good about themselves.

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

You could only do so much in so little time. If someone breaks the maximum amount that you can possibly get, then it is a hacked score.

Meh, then they will go slightly under the maximum. Or just above the highest score. It's inevitable that scores will get hacked.

not to mention a little sad that that's all they do to have fun and feel good about themselves.

People do things they enjoy they may find that playing flash games for hours is a little sad.

But high scores themselves have grown boring, I get how they used to be popular in arcades with a set amount of people and games. But now it's like your against thousands of other players in thousands of other games. No one cares unless its super popular. Supply has exceed the demand driving out the uniqueness and fun.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Meh, then they will go slightly under the maximum. Or just above the highest score. It's inevitable that scores will get hacked.

I'm saying that's how you figure out if someone hacked a game with that kind of limited scoring.

But now it's like your against thousands of other players in thousands of other games. No one cares unless its super popular. Supply has exceed the demand driving out the uniqueness and fun.

Wat!? I think it's excellent! It's you against the world with AGI! Sure, over time, the highscores will get so high that the scores will be compact with little difference, but it's the feeling of being ranked #200 out of 20,000 people that just gives you a feeling of accomplishment or pride. You can even compare your scores with friends or see what your scores look like over time. It's much more than just an average-joe highscore system.
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

I'm saying that's how you figure out if someone hacked a game with that kind of limited scoring.

and I'm saying that it doesn't really matter since you can set the score to anything you like.

Yeah, but now your have some many games that I hardly see "friends" on high-score anyway.

I would say it's the same as an average-joe high-score system there is not obvious big difference and you don't list any. But whatever makes you happy is fair game. I personally ignore the system altogether.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Yeah. There's always more room for improvement, since the AGI will stay with us. I'm sure it will develop into something greater.

Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

If it looks suspicious or if you think it looks impossible

Have you ever played Gemcraft Chapter 0?
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Have you ever played Gemcraft Chapter 0?
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I have been pretty busy. Sure i have played GC0, maybe because of the scoring system, it would be easy for someone to hack and not get noticed. You missed my point
zizozozo
zizozozo
19 posts
Shepherd

Hackers destroy the site and make first places impossible to get at

mo9
mo9
14 posts
Nomad

well flash games are the easiest to hack , especially that this site is for developers who still learn coding and cant make a complicated enough code to be undetecible ( un-hackable) so sadly ppl will hack the games.

Hacking has another bad side when a normal person uploads his/her score they wont be able to relate to other normal game scores.

Hope i can help stop this from hapening in AG3

sasquatchcarrot
sasquatchcarrot
189 posts
Nomad

ya i enjoy competing with other people in scores, hackers are just party poopers who can't enjoy a game.

silvermoon123
silvermoon123
855 posts
Nomad

I agree, some scores in games like Solipskier, AU2, TiTOL2, and too many more to count just frustrate me. I think we should be able to report obviously hacked scores, and possibly incorporate that into AG3's karma system.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Since we all seem to feel the same about this, why dont we form sort of an alliance of users to help combat hacking? Not to control the site or anything like that but to report and search for scores that are hacked. Good idea?

Elgoogsy
Elgoogsy
10 posts
Nomad

Ag3's karma system, what's that? That actually sounds like the best idea i have heard in a while. Would be a great addition to any site.

Showing 46-60 of 84