ForumsThe TavernAre we becoming too dependent on computers?

100 19381
DaoGao
DaoGao
220 posts
Nomad

Well, what do you think?

• 100 Replies
Pedro97
Pedro97
1,868 posts
Jester

I personally think that we spend too much time on the Internet (nowadays you can take Internet anywhere so it is not just computers). Well, we can do a lot of things on the Internet: talk to friends, read news, watch videos, play games, make a search and many other things so we spend too much time on the computer doing these things. That is just what I think.

EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

Yeah, we are. Is it really a bad thing? I don't know about you, but computers are pretty awesome.

Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

if you mean too dependant like we should be less dependant no but we are extremely dependant on them, but its a good thing they allow us to reach new hights and do new things that have never been done before

darver
darver
189 posts
Nomad

We are. But that's not a bad thing. At least not until a MASSIVE MASSIVE MASSIVE MASSIVE server glitch.

ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
991 posts
Nomad

I don't see how we're dependent, but addicted maybe. It shows in the recent generations, sadly.

Some ways it's good, like Kalb mentioned, it can help up learn new things, but it's also bad to be five inches away from the screen all day without exercise or at least fresh air.

In the end, I don't think we're dependent, but we most likely will be in the future.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

I think it could become a bad thing. The reason why I think it's becoming a bad thing is that now with all the hackers and their fancy manmade virtual toys they could do alot of dammage that could ruin you and everytime you type something it could be one more thing hackers could destroy.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

We are dependent on computers, but that isn't a bad thing.

The computers can be used to chat with friends, read news, keep in touch with others, do your schoolwork on the computer, we can do just about everything on the internet.

But, there should be some kind of time limit you're on the internet, if you're on the internet all day long then that's a problem. But, if you're on for just a few hours then it's fine.

EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

at least fresh air.

My window is open in spring and fall.
Keyara
Keyara
370 posts
Nomad

They have helped us in many ways. Medical advances, scientific things, other good stuff like that. However, they are also hindering us. Some friends of mine can't even do simple math without a calculator and I know adults like this too. I can't even talk to most people my age about things because they don't pertain to other people in school, computers or cell phones. They are always on the computer or their phone. So in some ways yes many people are way to dependent but, on the other hand computers can be helpful if used in the right way.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

The computers can be used to chat with friends, read news, keep in touch with others, do your schoolwork on the computer, we can do just about everything on the internet.

But you can do all those things WITHOUT the internet too!(except keeping in touch with long distancers)
The internet is something that you could use to ur advantage but you shouldn't use it for evrything!
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

you can do all those things WITHOUT the internet too!

Yeah, but what if your school is not a safe environment? I'd rather be doing it on the computer.
What if you don't have a phone or if you're friends live some miles away from you? It's nice to chat on the internet.
You can read the newspaper, but I just prefer reading the news on the computer.
Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

In the end, I don't think we're dependent, but we most likely will be in the future.

we are. give me anything and i could tell you how a computer affects it.

I think it could become a bad thing. The reason why I think it's becoming a bad thing is that now with all the hackers and their fancy manmade virtual toys they could do alot of dammage that could ruin you and everytime you type something it could be one more thing hackers could destroy.

anything of significant importance has 3 safetey lines attached to it (1.) firewalls security etc. that are high tech enough to stop anyone from getting in (2.)if anyone attempts to hack into it it sends out a warning to whoever is in charge of this imprtant stuff on the CPU (3.) if the hackers are crazy advanced it takes some time to hack into so you can shut down the system before they get anything
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

But you can do all those things WITHOUT the internet too!

I don't agree, you can't read your favorite non-biased news source instantly, I can't do my research assignments, programming work or download practice math problems without a computer. I concede that some people spend too much time on computers but in our modern world computers are a necessity. It's foolish to think you could live without them in most cases.
Keyara
Keyara
370 posts
Nomad

What if you don't have a phone or if you're friends live some miles away from you?

Well, people can still write, can't they? People use to do that all the time and got along okay.
Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

I concede that some people spend too much time on computers but in our modern world computers are a necessity. It's foolish to think you could live without them in most cases.

i agree 100 % we'd all be dead in the water without them
Showing 1-15 of 100