ForumsThe TavernAre we becoming too dependent on computers?

100 19386
DaoGao
DaoGao
220 posts
Nomad

Well, what do you think?

• 100 Replies
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

I think if all our computers in the whole world went POOF! we would learn to adapt. But i think some poeple will sulk to death about the internet being gone. It isn't neccesary to our existance that we have it it's just a bit more comfrtable for us (except for our eyes, no blinking for an hour straight OUCH!)

panda222
panda222
17 posts
Nomad

The only people we should be worrying about are the people who spend all day on their computers (ex. my sister) and the people who are connected to pretty much every social networking site available.

Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

almost every person on earth would lose their job without them

dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

I think people do get very dependable on it, but it's human nature to adapt. I have faith that even without the internet people would adapt fine. I remember I went to a Camping trip for a weekend. it was freezing morning and night. there was no fast food, cellphones, laptops, or any connection with any one off the property. I did just fine.

Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

did you ride four wheelers, ride in a car there, anything like that? if so there's your computer for the camping trip

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

i would. without it computers are inexistant and computers are integrated with just about 100% of any item in todays world. if there isnt a computer in it, then it was designed/made by a computer

You're probably too dependent on computers for your own good. Just kidding. So you're saying that my toothbrush, my chair and my couch are all integrated with computers? Sure, wi-fi toothpaste.

did you ride four wheelers, ride in a car there, anything like that? if so there's your computer for the camping trip

Hey, I ride in old cars. No fancy computer tech.

almost every person on earth would lose their job without them[quote]

We haven't reached that point yet. Millions of people still farm.

Don't you remember that people used to live without computers?
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Fail post.

i would. without it computers are inexistant and computers are integrated with just about 100% of any item in todays world. if there isnt a computer in it, then it was designed/made by a computer

You're probably too dependent on computers for your own good. Just kidding. So you're saying that my toothbrush, my chair and my couch are all integrated with computers? Sure, wi-fi toothpaste.

almost every person on earth would lose their job without them

We haven't reached that point yet. Millions of people still farm. Don't you remember that people used to live without computers?
Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

im saying that there are no hand made tooth brushes all plastics (handle) are injected into the mold by a computer. as for the furniture it could be made by hand idk but more than likely a computer controlled lathe was used to make them.

fair enough

We haven't reached that point yet. Millions of people still farm. Don't you remember that people used to live without computers?

any farm today that isn't just some weekend hobby uses a computer for things like irrigation control, profit margins, etc.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

any farm today that isn't just some weekend hobby uses a computer for things like irrigation control, profit margins, etc.

So, farmers in third world countries who can't afford advanced electronics aren't serious farmers?

im saying that there are no hand made tooth brushes all plastics (handle) are injected into the mold by a computer. as for the furniture it could be made by hand idk but more than likely a computer controlled lathe was used to make them.

Don't you get my point? Saying that 100% of everyday items are computer made isn't advisable. Not everything made on the assembly line requires some sort of computer.
Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

@ knight
First off in third world countries they don't really have farms id call them more like gardens haha especially compared to farms in the US they are just tiny "gardens", if you will, to keep their families alive

Second give me something that doesn't have a computer involved with it

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

First off in third world countries they don't really have farms id call them more like gardens haha especially compared to farms in the US they are just tiny "gardens", if you will, to keep their families alive

That's very, very narrow-minded. Take India for example. Although the average farm size is three acres and productivity is low there are hundreds of millions of farmers. Farming employs around half of the country's entire workforce. Half of the country is arable land. To name a single crop, India was the second highest producer of wheat in 2008 with 79 million metric tons, behind China and ahead of the US according to the FAO. It's interesting to note that because of technology, less people have to be employed in developed countries to keep the same rate of productivity as you would with less developed countries. Now, throwing a bunch of stats doesn't do much but I'll just make my point here: You can't assume the third world is solely composed of subsistence farmers. Making broad statements isn't a good idea.

Second give me something that doesn't have a computer involved with it

I could think if I wasn't so lazy, so let's consider something.. a lot of the things we live with today existed before proper computers, not the vacuum tube ones, existed. Even if we take that out of the equation, you can still produce those things, albeit less conveniently. I can live without electronics; I won't die.

All electrical appliances don't qualify as being electronic. Machines used on the production line don't necessarily rely on computers. I don't feel like talking any further, but you should get what I mean.
darkrai097
darkrai097
858 posts
Nomad

We're becoming too dependent on computers, in my point of view. If it weren't for computers/robots, most of the stuff we have would take a lot longer too make. Also, in our day-to-day lives we use computers for a lot of things that we could do with paper and a pencil. If we didn't have computers, we would live less comfortable lives, that is true, but probably much simpler, too... AAH! NO! I'm sorry, great computer. I bow down to your electriciness.

Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

@knight
Averagee farm size 3 acres? There could be extremes in the average. For instance there could be technological farms that are all = or > 5 and 3/4 of an acre then there could be an equal number of non technological 1/4 acre "farms"

Efan
Efan
3,086 posts
Nomad

@ knight

Was that meant to sound completely and utterly stupid, ignorant and uneducatedamerican of you? If it was, well done.

I think that humans are way too dependant on computers. We have shaped most parts of our life around them.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Averagee farm size 3 acres? There could be extremes in the average. For instance there could be technological farms that are all = or > 5 and 3/4 of an acre then there could be an equal number of non technological 1/4 acre "farms"

It's India, what do you expect? There's such a thing as a 1/4 acre farm, thank you very much.

If we didn't have computers, we would live less comfortable lives, that is true, but probably much simpler, too...

Well, the WWII era was a simpler time.. we weren't primitives back then though.

I think that humans are way too dependant on computers. We have shaped most parts of our life around them.

I have to agree... I'm already being taken for a ride.
Showing 46-60 of 100