ForumsThe TavernAre we becoming too dependent on computers?

100 19379
DaoGao
DaoGao
220 posts
Nomad

Well, what do you think?

• 100 Replies
superbob111
superbob111
465 posts
Nomad

I think we are. We are using computers knowlege instead of using our own brains and knowledge.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

The computer is a very useful tool for educational purposes, but you shouldn't put everything on the computer or rely on it for everything because you know you can.

The biggest problem I think we have with computers are problems associated with addiction and health problems.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

The biggest problem I think we have with computers are problems associated with addiction and health problems.

I walk for 30 mins every night with my dogs and I ride my bike 30 miles at least 3 times a week so I don't sit in front of my PC all day but very often.
TheGr8est
TheGr8est
703 posts
Nomad

I think that we are becoming to dependent on technology.
I often imagine living in a magical world that doesnt have technology,
something like Harry Potter or Naruto.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

I often imagine living in a magical world that doesnt have technology,
something like Harry Potter or Naruto.

Both of those have technology...or something which serves the exact same purpose.
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,745 posts
King

I got a real taste of what it's like to miss out on having a computer for a few days recently as it was in the shop for some major repairs... and only THEN you realise how dependent you are on technology these days!! (o.O)

If you would stop for a second and look around you, you would most certainly go ape because of the small things in technology everyone takes for granted!! Just try it for once and you'll be amazed...

wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

Computers have helped millions, if not billions of us to communicate with family members, co-workers, teachers, just to name a few instantaneously without having to use 411 directory service or a phone company. This is just one aspect that I depend on and will personally miss the most if a solar flare or some other electro-magnetic disturbance knocks out electricity globally.

I'm as old-school as you can get especially on this site. I've seen and experienced first hand what it's like to go "low tech" because that was the '80's. One machine I had to use at work was so loud I seriously considered using ear plugs just to operate it. It was a teletype machine that would spit out a paper tape with holes punched into it. This is the machine that the telex made obsolete, eh?, I mean yea. Lol.
Other work I did for this company all had to be done by hand, with an ink pen or by typing it on a typewriter. I used an IBM selectric III which was also loud.

The day we plugged in our computers the office, of more than 100 people went from sounding like a school cafeteria at noon to a public library for the whole day. The noise difference alone was so very welcome to all of us that had no idea how noisy our lives had been. It was like literally walking out of the stone age.

Now, I still remember how to read books, write by pen and type though my spelling suffers because I no longer have my trusty Webster's Dictionary on my desk. Spell check alone would be sorely missed. Please, don't make me have to use the White and Yellow Pages books that weigh tons, been there, done... Oh, and please don't make me stand in line(s) again:
Driver's license, tag, title
at the bank (just to cash a check because if there are no computers there won't be any atm's)
to have someone to do my taxes for me because there won't be any more EZ tax forms anymore nor electronic filing.
to Vote, remember the paper chads in Florida with the Bush-Gore election?

I'll stop my rant because I could go on for the rest of the day.

jkl3848
jkl3848
242 posts
Peasant

Not yet. But we might. But not for at least 10 years. Probably 20.

CheapCheep
CheapCheep
240 posts
Nomad

No...It's just the fact that we've been on them for 5 hours now talking in forums...

O.K...maybe.

Showing 91-99 of 100