ForumsThe Tavern[April Fools 2011] Mod firin' lazers chatterbox

423 75005
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

As some of you may have heard, armor games is firing a moderator. Since you're not allowed to have any discussion on the forum i guess post any opinions on the matter here.

The firing thread
https://armorgames.com/community/thread/7293378/announcement-firing-a-mod

• 423 Replies
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

everyone becomes a moderator for a day (and the moderators we have now switch for that day) ... so we can all live out our fantasies of banning and unbanning and then banning again those that have power.... n-n-n-not that I have those or anything

With everyone power abusing that would be a nightmare.

It's good we can still joke about this. Though I did have some seriousness to my question. If this is a joke, or even if it's not. There will be need for some making up here. By listing ideas here, we can give them an idea on how they can smooth things over with us after it's all been said and done.
LivingToDie
LivingToDie
303 posts
Nomad

If this does turn out to be just a bad joke with no real pay off, I wonder how the admins and mods could make it up to us?

They can't make it up to us, well definitely not me anyways, the only thing would probably be the release of AGv3, but I don't that will happen anytime too soon.
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

It's 3am GreyWoflMage. I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

They should have a new font for sarcasm in AG3.

They should have a thumbs up button for that post.
cormyn
cormyn
2,891 posts
Nomad

A few clarifications, and I'm only a few pages into this giant discussion:

1. This is real. I'm overworked trying to manage my day job as a programmer for the company plus volunteering my own time in the evenings to take care of users who refuse to follow rules, and since I have access to the core databases and logs, etc., that the moderators do not, and since I'm the only admin-level user in the company who (a) knows how and (b) wants to be involved in moderation, a ton of work falls on me.

2. The voting goes through me because I have the miserable job of going through all of the votes, tracking duplicate accounts, disqualifying people and/or handing out bans to those who keep flagging votes as abuse. Seriously, knock it off.

3. For goodness sake, stop asking on my profile what the tension was about. It's the typical "I'm tired of others not pulling their weight" kind of crap that comes up whenever several mods decide that playing a new video game is more important.

4. We wanted to let the users have a say, since you as users have to interact with the moderators as well. The moderator's account won't be cancelled, they just won't be a moderator any more. Heck, some of them probably wouldn't even notice.

5. Someone had a point about votes from accounts with very few points, which makes perfect sense. We've already said that votes from alternate accounts will disqualify ALL of your votes, so I'll have a chunk of work to do. I bet half of the votes for Devoidless are duplicates.

And frankly, I thought Cenere would have had a very generous lead on the vote count, but looks like Devoidless has more votes than all of the other moderators combined.

Oh, and the users who voted for ME ... tsk tsk.

Feel free to ask LEGITIMATE questions about this on my profile, but stop asking what the tension is. I'm not going to quote private moderator discussions to any non-mod user.

And we're STILL out of Dr Pepper at the office, gah. I'm so sick of coffee for my caffeine fix. Nothing gets me grumpy like spammers, haters, and lack of Dr Pepper.

cormyn
cormyn
2,891 posts
Nomad

Who moderates the mods?

I do.
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,612 posts
Peasant

So you're tired of volunteering your time to make the moderator work that only you can make? ...hmm. Looks like giving admin power to some mods is the solution here. And if you don't want, get rid of the whole moderation team and hire some payed employees to moderate the community. This reminds me of the ostracizing thing in ancient Athens, getting rid of someone, but making it look like a democratic choice.
PS making this so near to April 1st was a BAD idea.

Blackmoon0
Blackmoon0
4 posts
Nomad

nd we're STILL out of Dr Pepper at the office, gah. I'm so sick of coffee for my caffeine fix. Nothing gets me grumpy like spammers, haters, and lack of Dr Pepper.

I have 6 liters of cold Dr Pepper in the fridge, hehe.....

4. We wanted to let the users have a say, since you as users have to interact with the moderators as well. The moderator's account won't be cancelled, they just won't be a moderator any more. Heck, some of them probably wouldn't even notice.

BECAUSE votes are not allowed to be explained past the '_____' one-word response, many of these votes might as well be biased on whether or not said mod did their job correctly and pissed off a few people while doing it, which is inevitable but leads for a moderate amount of picking which mod you don't like the most instead of picking which mod to fire based on performance and merit.
SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

Looks like giving admin power to some mods is the solution here

Do you even know an admin's powers anyway? There's a big ???? where that is to most of us peasants :P

PS making this so near to April 1st was a BAD idea.

Very much so.

1. This is real.

:/
Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,420 posts
Nomad

isn't it just a good idea to retire them and save the position for someone else when AG3 comes around?

Everything you said was fine, but this. Replacing mods makes no difference. The more the merrier.
Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,420 posts
Nomad

I do.

I mean who moderates the mods and admins. Saying who moderates the mods sounds more attractive.

Cormyn, I just don't understand why you can't hire more mods, or at least assistant mods to help with spam on games comment sections.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

@Cormyn

That satisfied all of my questions, thank you! =D
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

I mean who moderates the mods and admins. Saying who moderates the mods sounds more attractive.

Unless the admin was hired by someone else to run the site that's as high as you go.
Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,420 posts
Nomad

Unless the admin was hired by someone else to run the site that's as high as you go.

Exactly. What happens when God can't make a decision?
SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

Exactly. What happens when God can't make a decision?

'God' is allegedly all knowing, not referring to cormyn.

Nothing puzzles God.
Showing 211-225 of 423