ForumsWEPRBelieving in God brings its own Hell

169 25047
Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

Let's get this first thing straightened out: the title isn't literal, it's metaphorical. Just think, without religion the world would be much better. No disputes over the "right" thing to believe. That means no wars over religion. We'd have more money because we wouldn't have to donate, build churches, etc. We'd have an overall better outlook on life because our consciouses wouldn't be so powerful.

• 169 Replies
sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,143 posts
Nomad

yeah lets start with genesis, if taken literally it is simply god punishing billiuons upon billions of people for a crime they didnt commit and had no part in, how loving of him!

Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

It's simple really. It's like the Army. One person screws up so everyone else has to take the blame for it. It does teach a lesson, but not in the best way.

sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,143 posts
Nomad

its probably the least effetive and most unfair way of doing so, not really qualities you see in an all knowing deity

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,612 posts
Peasant

but not in the best way.

So why can't god find the best way? He knows all right?

Also I'd like to remind you that you haven't explained us why god thought that PI = 3 yet.
Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

So why can't god find the best way? He knows all right?
Beats me.
Also I'd like to remind you that you haven't explained us why god thought that PI = 3 yet.
I don't know if I can. I just don't know that much about that.
Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

Pi = 3 is definitely a stumbling block in the Bible, undeniably so, most Christians say the Bible is full of literal truths and metaphors - I think it's quite silly to call pi = 3 a metaphor and therefore, biblically speaking, it must be a literal truth. It's also wrong, which has been known to get in the way of the whole factual accuracy thing, not that that's stopped many people in the past.

Elephunk
Elephunk
30 posts
Nomad

It's simple really. It's like the Army. One person screws up so everyone else has to take the blame for it. It does teach a lesson, but not in the best way.

You do realize this contradicts the whole "omnipotence" concept, right?
Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

most Christians say the Bible is full of literal truths and metaphors

I don't. I don't believe that there is one literal truth.
redbedhead
redbedhead
341 posts
Nomad

Again watch this episode than tell me it's religons fault...

sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,143 posts
Nomad

you dont believe there is one literal truth? so you dont believe jesus was the son of god?

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Again watch this episode than tell me it's religons fault...
http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-ep ⦠god-go-xii

Do you know what Satire is? Here's a hint.

1. the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.

In this case, South Park is using satire to show what religion is like, they're just making fun of it though and substituting science and playing with acronyms. Which, if you look at the 3 major beliefs, Christians, Jews, and Muslims, they are believe "the same thing" just have *SLIGHTLY* different interpretations/prophets. So yeah, you're not proving anything with a cartoon, sorry.
Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

you dont believe there is one literal truth? so you dont believe jesus was the son of god?

God didn't come down and **** Mary. It's literal, but not THAT literal.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

If Jesus is really Mary's child, but God's son, wouldn't that imply that his body bears the soul of Jesus, but the body itself would be a (male) clone of Mary?

Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

I'm sure God altered his child's DNA to make him different. Sounds weird, but it makes sense as long as you're religious or can understand it.

Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

Hey, y'know what a lot of gay couples do/can do? They adopt - y'know, the children that heterosexual couples had but couldn't take care of properly for some reason, isn't that good enough for you?

Showing 136-150 of 169