ForumsWEPRBelieving in God brings its own Hell

169 25049
Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

Let's get this first thing straightened out: the title isn't literal, it's metaphorical. Just think, without religion the world would be much better. No disputes over the "right" thing to believe. That means no wars over religion. We'd have more money because we wouldn't have to donate, build churches, etc. We'd have an overall better outlook on life because our consciouses wouldn't be so powerful.

• 169 Replies
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,206 posts
Peasant

I agree. I really can't find any ups for religion. Except for that fake comfort. But it's better to face reality then to live a lie.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

We'd have an overall better outlook on life because our consciouses wouldn't be so powerful.

Don't thik I entirely agree with this last one. Sure there are people who wouldn't be guilted as much, but one's consciousness can still be just as strong.
Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,482 posts
Shepherd

48% of Eourope does not believe in God.
Is religion neccesary for a healthy society?

Europe was doing quite well as a religious society back in the day, too, you know.

Also, in the Dark Ages, Churches were pretty good places for education.

No disputes over the "right" thing to believe

Human Rights violations? The US and China believe quite differently, and the Declaration of Human rights is not in a bible.

We'd have more money because we wouldn't have to donate, build churches, etc.

Though religious grounds may be a waste of money, donation is good because it helps the poor, and the poor usually always spend what little they get, so economy == Up.

And also, many religious events in history can be seen as those that have been groundbreaking for cultural and technological spread, along with providing good community comfort and an easy way to build a nice social block for people.

Not that it's true, but I find it easier seeing an Atheist as a guy that doesn't get out much compared to a believer of some faith, because, he'd eventually have to go to church/somewhere and talk with people, etc.
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Education and intelligence have a positive correlation with atheism.

Yeah that nice but a directionality problem there, are the educated more likely to be atheistic or atheists more likely to be intelligent.

Sure, they were also intolerant of information that wasn't according to the bible.

Not that it's true, but I find it easier seeing an Atheist as a guy that doesn't get out much compared to a believer of some faith, because, he'd eventually have to go to church/somewhere and talk with people, etc.

So going outside with your family just to have a good time is worse than going into a Church with your family just so you can confirm your beliefs and be part of the ingroup?
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Yeah that nice but a directionality problem there, are the educated more likely to be atheistic or atheists more likely to be intelligent.

Nice way to try and sound smart, but you just made yourself look dumb. They equate to the same thing. More intelligence = Atheism = More Education
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Just think, without religion the world would be much better.

That's just your opinion

No disputes over the "right" thing to believe.

People still fight over other beliefs, such as politics.

That means no wars over religion.

It seems pretty natural for humans to start war. I'm sure people can find other things to fight over.

We'd have more money because we wouldn't have to donate, build churches, etc.

It's already your choice wether or not to donate money. There's no reason to donate to churches if you don't want to.

We'd have an overall better outlook on life because our consciouses wouldn't be so powerful.

Care to elaborate?
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,520 posts
Farmer

I pretty much agree with everything that Paarfam said except for education. Ever been to a public school? I really appreciate the education I get in the private school system, not to mention I don't have to worry about a kid getting shot or thirty students getting syphilis because they held a rainbow party in the restroom during detention.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Ever been to a public school?

Yes public schools suck ***. However, that's not the point here. "More education" refers to higher level learning, not the school system in general. I completely agree that the public school system needs a total reform.
Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

Care to elaborate?

Well, we wouldn't always be self-conscious about our actions. We wouldn't have to stay so far away from sin as compared to when we would've believed.
It seems pretty natural for humans to start war. I'm sure people can find other things to fight over.

Obviously. I can easily say that in Earth's history most wars started over religion, with political disputes trailing behind.
People still fight over other beliefs, such as politics.

Again, disputes would decrease a TON.
That's just your opinion

It is. And I'm backing it up with real facts.
Don't thik I entirely agree with this last one. Sure there are people who wouldn't be guilted as much, but one's consciousness can still be just as strong.

In some cases, yes. But I think there would still be a small decrease in power.

Welcome to the 21st century! :P
Though religious grounds may be a waste of money, donation is good because it helps the poor, and the poor usually always spend what little they get, so economy == Up.

Let me rephrase my statement; we wouldn't have to donate to any religious bodies.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Well, we wouldn't always be self-conscious about our actions. We wouldn't have to stay so far away from sin as compared to when we would've believed.

Doing both those things are good things.

Obviously. I can easily say that in Earth's history most wars started over religion, with political disputes trailing behind.

Can't argue with that.

Again, disputes would decrease a TON.

Not that it matters.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Not that it matters.

So what? If there's less, that's better, that's all there is to it. You can't just say it only gets better if it completely stops because obviously any decrease at all is a victory.

Doing both those things are good things.

I think this is what he's trying to say...

We wouldn't have so many things that would be considered "wrong" such as being gay, worrying about who's worshiping who, worrying about what's in our pledge of allegiance "In god we trust"
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,206 posts
Peasant

Yes and today, education is (mostly) unbiased, more open and easier to get.

Europe was doing quite well as a religious society back in the day, too, you know.

Not really. Thus revolutions.
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Let's get this first thing straightened out: the title isn't literal, it's metaphorical. Just think, without religion the world would be much better. No disputes over the "right" thing to believe. That means no wars over religion. We'd have more money because we wouldn't have to donate, build churches, etc. We'd have an overall better outlook on life because our consciouses wouldn't be so powerful.

It's hard to say how much better life would be without religion. You get both good and bad things from religion, and if there wasn't religion, most of the good and bad that comes from religion would still exist.

Atheists don't necessarily have a more positive outlook on life than theists. There are a lot of smart people who are theist as well as atheist. The same goes for dumb people as well.

As for donations, I believe you're talking about donations going to church. Understand that people donate to churches because they want to. In fact, churches do bring families together.

Eliminating religion would solve quite a few problems, but it's not the only solution to making the world a better place.
Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

As for donations, I believe you're talking about donations going to church. Understand that people donate to churches because they want to. In fact, churches do bring families together.

Yeah, I mentioned that earlier.
Eliminating religion would solve quite a few problems, but it's not the only solution to making the world a better place.
We wouldn't have so many things that would be considered "wrong" such as being gay, worrying about who's worshiping who, worrying about what's in our pledge of allegiance "In god we trust"

Kind of. I meant what I said, in that being without sin = without guilt of having sin.

Definitely.
It's hard to say how much better life would be without religion. You get both good and bad things from religion, and if there wasn't religion, most of the good and bad that comes from religion would still exist.

Definitely. Of course, you never get only good from something. With all good comes bad. -Anonymous
It would, for starters the middle east would calm the **** down for once; So what? If there's less, that's better, that's all there is to it. You can't just say it only gets better if it completely stops because obviously any decrease at all is a victory.

It does matter.
No witch hunts, no mccarthyism, no crusades, the twin towers would still be standing, several thousand boys would not have been forcibly sodomized by catholic priests....I consider those good things.

...And backing up your opinions helps too. Not that I'm disagreeing with you.
Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

That post came in weird.

Yeah, I mentioned that earlier.

Definitely.

It would, for starters the middle east would calm the **** down for once; So what? If there's less, that's better, that's all there is to it. You can't just say it only gets better if it completely stops because obviously any decrease at all is a victory.

It does matter.
No witch hunts, no mccarthyism, no crusades, the twin towers would still be standing, several thousand boys would not have been forcibly sodomized by catholic priests....I consider those good things.

...And backing up your opinions helps too. Not that I'm disagreeing with you.
Showing 1-15 of 169