ForumsWEPRBelieving in God brings its own Hell

169 25050
Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

Let's get this first thing straightened out: the title isn't literal, it's metaphorical. Just think, without religion the world would be much better. No disputes over the "right" thing to believe. That means no wars over religion. We'd have more money because we wouldn't have to donate, build churches, etc. We'd have an overall better outlook on life because our consciouses wouldn't be so powerful.

• 169 Replies
Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

Wrong thread Avorne. It make more sense here.

Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

Oops, sorry, I'm still asleep - I'll go post over there -sighs and drags myself over to the other thread-

redbedhead
redbedhead
341 posts
Nomad

In this case, South Park is using satire to show what religion is like, they're just making fun of it though and substituting science and playing with acronyms. Which, if you look at the 3 major beliefs, Christians, Jews, and Muslims, they are believe "the same thing" just have *SLIGHTLY* different interpretations/prophets. So yeah, you're not proving anything with a cartoon, sorry.

I'm very aware of what satire is. On the contrary Trey Parker and Matt Stone are using Atheism as a crux showing that everyone uses "Oh religion started all these wars" when in reality it's simply human nature. Consindering many past wars used religion as a way of having common ground to start a war. Without religion the wars continued showing that it's not religion it's the people.

That's why most wars nowadays are territorial or governmental in contrast to religious.
sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,143 posts
Nomad

just look at the evidence, as religion of all types has become less and less powerful wars have decreased in number

redbedhead
redbedhead
341 posts
Nomad

wars have decreased in number

Um... you might want to turn on the news some time. It has nothing to do with how powerful religion is. We as a world have conversed and decided to make common rules in war, with the SALT talks disarmaments have occured, and the superpowers are pretty well defined (and for the most part democratic) as well as having an international security council and international court to allow for war criminals to be tried. There are conflicts all over the world, and there always will be. There are way more variables that fall into the decrease of wars than "religion has become less and less powerful"
sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,143 posts
Nomad

yes of course there are but that none the less is a variable and has an effect on the number of wars, maybe to say there are less wars is wrong, but there are much less large international wars

CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

but there are much less large international wars

Id give credit to nukes over religion on this one. Knowing that you could be turned to radioactive dust for attacking a neighbor is a bit deterring.
sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,143 posts
Nomad

hhhmmmm i am convinced, however this doesnt mean that the church ever did any good

Highfire
Highfire
3,025 posts
Nomad

Okay all I saw was "war is human nature" or something on those lines - correct?

Religion is also to blame. It's not a simple matter of blaming religion because ultimately many acts are made in its name. Tell me - if people knew more about themselves (as in how the brain works, etc), and furthermore had the correct enviromental indoctrination at young age, would they observe their's and others behaviour with moral precision or use their enhanced knowledge to reduce the gains of those around him? It's human nature to be productive for your group, and it's human nature to justify wrong actions. Being aware of this in itself is an enlightenment to our literally physical flaws.

Would religion ask us to seek this sort of knowledge and / or guidance?
Look at the Dark Ages.

- H

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,482 posts
Shepherd

How about, the amount of area affected by warfare is decreasing?

sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,143 posts
Nomad

i guess that would about cover it

CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

How about, the amount of area affected by warfare is decreasing?

In most cases Id agree. With greater sophistication armies can hit just what they want to hit keeping unnecessary deaths down. If they want to that is.
cristianrap
cristianrap
64 posts
Nomad

In my opinion I always criticize church
I think the church is a business for which earns silver

indie55
indie55
608 posts
Nomad

With greater sophistication armies can hit just what they want to hit keeping unnecessary deaths down. If they want to that is.

Except sometimes the enemy hides amongst civilians.
camm95
camm95
52 posts
Nomad

the church is an extortionistic personification of human doubt

Showing 151-165 of 169