ForumsWEPRBelieving in God brings its own Hell

169 25052
Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

Let's get this first thing straightened out: the title isn't literal, it's metaphorical. Just think, without religion the world would be much better. No disputes over the "right" thing to believe. That means no wars over religion. We'd have more money because we wouldn't have to donate, build churches, etc. We'd have an overall better outlook on life because our consciouses wouldn't be so powerful.

• 169 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

The Bible is infallible because, simply put, it's all metaphors and was written by God's word.

No you didn't, you just left an extra dot on the way. Here we go. How do you know it's god's word, if man is falliable. Also, if it's all metaphors, how do you even know you have the right ones?
Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

How do you know it's god's word, if man is falliable.
It may have been written by man, but God corrected the wrong things and either deleted them, or changed them into a metaphor to give it a new meaning.
Also, if it's all metaphors, how do you even know you have the right ones?
I don't follow. What do you mean by "Right ones?" Elaborate.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

It may have been written by man, but God corrected the wrong things and either deleted them, or changed them into a metaphor to give it a new meaning.

So by your reasoning, if one, single thing in the bible can be proven to be incorrect, then it's not the word of god?

I don't follow. What do you mean by "Right ones?" Elaborate.

There can be different meanings for a metaphors, or multiple meanings that are all valid. Really, if god wanted to tell us something, he didn't have to be such an ******* about it and give us a bunch of ambigious metaphors that can mean anything anyone wants.
Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

So by your reasoning, if one, single thing in the bible can be proven to be incorrect, then it's not the word of god?
Yes. Go ahead. Try to do it. I'll guarantee that every "error" you find can be interpreted as a metaphor. You will never do it. It's never been done. That's why I thought it was a good thing to follow.
There can be different meanings for a metaphors, or multiple meanings that are all valid. Really, if god wanted to tell us something, he didn't have to be such an ******* about it and give us a bunch of ambigious metaphors that can mean anything anyone wants.

You got me there. I'll have to agree. I guess he just wanted to give us lessons by doing that.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Yes. Go ahead. Try to do it. I'll guarantee that every "error" you find can be interpreted as a metaphor. You will never do it. It's never been done. That's why I thought it was a good thing to follow.

So, because humans have the ability to find any interpretation that suit them in any text that can be interpreted metaphorically, you think it's a good thing to follow? I mean, it doesn't even have to be the bible; I could write a story with lots of metaphors, morals and violent things, and could give you a reason for everything, and you'd have to follow it too.
Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

The Bible says that Pi = 3 - I'm sure that that's incorrect.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Okay, try this out. How, in any way, is this a metaphor, and while it may not be "wrong" per say, it certainly doesn't go with normal teaching.

Deuteronomy 23:1 ESV

No one whose testicles are crushed or whose male organ is cut off shall enter the assembly of the Lord.

Ah, here's this.

Leviticus 11:6 (King James Version)

6And the hare, because he cheweth the cud
Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

you'd have to follow it too.

Have to follow? Bias is as bias is. I can choose for my self.
The Bible says that Pi = 3 - I'm sure that that's incorrect.

**** you Avorne! I alwasy have trouble answering that... I'll get back to it later.
No one whose testicles are crushed or whose male organ is cut off shall enter the assembly of the Lord.

I think, I THINK that has something to do with self-mutilation, intentional damage to one's self. I'll bet if someone else did it the victim shall be considered to enter.
6And the hare, because he cheweth the cud

I'ma look that up.
Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

In Genesis 1, God forms the vegetation on the third day (verse 11) and Adam on the sixth (verse 27). However, in Genesis 2, God makes Adam (verse 7) at a time when there is no vegetation (verse 5).

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,612 posts
Peasant

This is a funny one, said from an all-knowing god:

MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.

ide4749
ide4749
310 posts
Nomad

I'm a christan and all so NO

Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

IT'S NOT LITERAL. READ THE FIRST SENTENCE IN THE OP. Thank you.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Thank you, oh holy christian, for your insightful imput on these weighty matters. Kings in the future shall laud your wisdom, and hail you as the one who found the answer...
Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

Care to elaborate on what you mean here, sparky, lest you leave us all devoid of your oh-so-perfect wisdom?
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,520 posts
Farmer

Kings in the future shall laud your wisdom, and hail you as the one who found the answer...

D: I thought I found the answer....
Showing 106-120 of 169