ForumsThe Tavern[req] Le Tour de France 2011

85 13606
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I'm a big fan of this event so if you are interested in talking about it please join.

• 85 Replies
waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

He retired, but I believe he is still part of the staff of the Radioshack team, considering he created it.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Also don't forget that his team Radioshack won the team competition and he had a lot to do with it.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Here's how the first stage is going to look like:
http://www.letour.fr/2011/TDF/COURSE/fr/GuideTouristique/us/etape1.html

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

There are going to be some good stuff this year:

- 10 flat stages (which mean 10 sprints),
- 6 mountain stages and 4 summit finishes,
- 3 medium mountain stages,
- 1 individual time-trial stage (42.5 km).
- 1 team time-trial stage (23 km).

As you can see it's going to be fun to watch! I can't wait for it to start!

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Ah, there won't be bonuses for the intermediate sprints and stage finishes this year. That I don't like because last year, those who worked hard during some stages were rewarded but they won't this year.
Maybe there won't be as many break away.

waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

There will still be just as many breakaways. Winning a stage in the Tour is a lucrative offer, bonus or no bonus toward your overall result. And because sometimes those breakaways succeed, they will keep happening.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I'm very annoyed by the removal of bonuses because last year's King of the Mountain competition was very exciting between Charteau (143 points) and Moreau (128 points). If they didn't have intermediate bonuses Schleck would have won the Polka Dot Jersey because winning a mountain stage gives you lots more points.

Alessandro Petacchi won the Sprint competition because he worked hard and got some of those bonuses otherwise Cavendish would have won and Thor Hushov finished 3rd (also got quite a few bonus points).

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Countdown to Le Tour De France: 12 days
We're almost there!

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

One week before Le Tour De France. Why does it take so long?

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Wow, the first stage was won by a French. That's good because it's their big event after all. What I didn't like is the crash around 8km caused by a spectator. I hate those idiots who stand too close to the road. I wish they'd hire me to ride my bike to police the road ahead with a baseball bat so that the idiots would be lying in the ditch unconscious instead of ruining some people's race.

waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

I think what's bigger than Gilbert Philippe winning the race is the fact that Cadel Evens and Franck Schleck have about a minute lead over Alberto Contador and Andy Schleck. This will be a big set back for Contador and will force him to attack in the mountain stages.

the first stage was won by a French.

When one is wearing the Belgium national champion's jersey, you'd assume he'd be Belgian. Still, congratulations to him.

I hate those idiots who stand too close to the road. I wish they'd hire me to ride my bike to police the road ahead with a baseball bat so that the idiots would be lying in the ditch unconscious instead of ruining some people's race.

I'd say that's a tall task, for patrolling about 100 miles of road is hard. Especially on the mountain stages. I'd like to see the idiots removed, but some are funny (remembers the guy who looked like Borat in swimsuit).
waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

Scratch the part I said about Andy Schelck; he finished in the same pack as his brother, giving him 1 minute and 14 seconds advantage over Contador. I'd like to mention the Contador was involved in a second wreck with about 3 K to go. I'd say Contador is screwed at this point, unless he can pull a miracle in the mountains.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I'd say Contador is screwed at this point, unless he can pull a miracle in the mountains.

Well that's find with me because I don't like him.
waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

Well then this will be good news for you; Contador lost even more time in the team time trial. He's now over a minute and 40 seconds behind Evans and a little under 1'40" to the Schleck brothers. he's in trouble, which I am also happy about.
In other news, Thor Hushovd now is wearing the yellow jersey after the team time trial. He'll probably keep it until the Pyrenees. I expect him to be more of a contender for the green, as he always is.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Excellent. I don't want to see Contador anywhere near the yellow jersey this time. :|

Showing 16-30 of 85