ForumsThe Tavern[req] Le Tour de France 2011

85 13609
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I'm a big fan of this event so if you are interested in talking about it please join.

• 85 Replies
waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

I'm not surprised no one went after him except for the few guys left from the original breakaway. Instead, I'm surprised anyone who wanted to win the stage had to chase him. I'd expect him to be in the back on a stage like that. Perhaps this shows that he's stronger than any other sprinter.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Now I have two favorites: Thor Hushovd and Thomas Voeckler. These two have worked hard for their Jersey. I was a little disappointed with today's result, I was expecting Andy, Franck Schleck, Contador, and Sanchez to finish 1,2,3, and 4 but it never happened.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Wow these last two stages were full of action. I don't like Contador but I must say he did a good job coming back. The descent today was nuts! Tomorrow is the best stage! I can't wait to see it.

waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

If Voeckler can hold on to yellow tomorrow, I believe he has the race in the bag, except maybe with the time trial. I think that Evans or Contador will win the tour this year, as they have shown the best form out of the major GC contenders.

valboss84
valboss84
1,526 posts
Farmer

Today is the greatest and harder stage of the Tour.
I think Contador will try to recover time on Evans and Schelck today. So an attack is previsible. Maube Andy will attack too, because he've lost loads of time because of the descents before arrival.

I hope Voeckler will hold on to yellow, but he will have a lot of work today, 3 passes of "hors-category" -I don't know how to say it, I'm french). Runners will be at 2700 m with Aniel pass, it will be very hard. I expect lot of action in the Galibier.

Who will win Le Tour?
I really would like Voeckler, but that's impossible, because of the time trial. Evans is excellent at that, so for me, Evans will win. He's really good in mountain and in time trial too, he's the leader.

So: 1. Evans
2. Schleck (Franck)
3. Contador
4. Voeckler
5. Sanchez

FloydTC
FloydTC
2,906 posts
Nomad

men in tight suits riding bicycles all around europe. my favorite.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Well Voeckler had a hard time yesterday and he almost crashed twice and because of it he lost 27 seconds. I hope he can hold on to his Yellow Jersey but it's going to be a tough stage today. I thought Contador would gain more time over Andy Schleck yesterday but to my surprise he caught up with him right before the end. I'm surprised they were no crashes because the road was narrow and the descent was tricky. I hope my DVR doesn't freeze again. Last time it didn't record so I had to watch the shorter rerun.

valboss84
valboss84
1,526 posts
Farmer

The 2 descents of today will be hard for Andy again. He need to improve himself in descents, or he'll never win the Tour. And I really want he does, because he's strong, sympatic and he's not doped (not as other runners...). Moreover, he speak french.

liamster3
liamster3
140 posts
Nomad

I hope Andy Shleck wins he is my favourite rider

SneakR
SneakR
88 posts
Bard

Omg did anyone see that guy that stacked and went through the barbed wire fence ahhh painnnn *.*

valboss84
valboss84
1,526 posts
Farmer

Andy won the stage! And with 2'16" on Cadel Evans. He's second and didn't get the yellow for 15". But I'm happy too, because Voeckler still hold the yellow.

The big deception: Contador. I don't really like him, so I was quite content that he arrived 1 minute after Voeckler. He've lost the Tour today.

waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

Andy gained a huge amount of time on the stage, but he will need more if he wants to beat Cadel Evans. Evans is a fantastic time-trialist, and Andy is not quite as much, so if this gap stays the same between them, I think Cadel will win.

valboss84
valboss84
1,526 posts
Farmer

I think too. So, if Andy would like to have a chance to win, he must escape again tomorrow and gain time (at least 1 minute). He was heroic today, attacking in the Izoard pass was very courageous and he was well awarded. Tomorrow, I advice him to attack in the Alpe d'Huez, not in the Galibier.

waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

The issue for Andy with that is the amount of energy he spent today. I don't know if he has enough left for him to make an attack on the Alpe d'Huez. He may have a shot if the other contenders are just as tired as he is.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Wow what a fantastic stage! The Leopard Trek Team strategy was brilliant! Andy finally got his revenge on Contador. Thomas fought hard to keep his Yellow jersey but Cadel Evans spoiled the party. Anyway I hope Andy still has enough energy to do it again tomorrow. If he can't then his brother Franck could take the lead over Cadel.

Showing 61-75 of 85