ForumsThe TavernIs crying a sign of weakness?

87 15759
deathopper
deathopper
1,564 posts
Nomad

(You can skip everything in italic if you want to save some time and/or not get bored.)

I ask this question because in my last French exam (I'm French educated) we had a text and some questions. The text was a part of The Iliads when Priam, king of the trojans, begged Achilles, a Greek general and all around bad-***, for the body of his dead son, Hector. The last question of the exam was related to the paragraph in which Achilles and Priam cry together after Priam's heartfelt speech.
When my teacher was distributing the exams, she was irritated by a peculiar girl who had written for that question that the crying of Achilles made him week. The teacher explained to the girl how he wasn't week and etc.

Personally, I think crying isn't a sign of weakness. I consider it as a sign of a person being human. If a person never cried and never had an once of sadness in him then we wouldn't be human; he would be a sort of happy-bot designed to be happy 24/7. That or the person is really dull, boring and doesn't have any emotion what so ever. How could you be happy without sadness to compare it to?

I also think crying never solved anything, well in the long-run anyway. I understand a quick cry-on-the-shoulder to get you're emotions strait, but when you spend all day weeping you end up not doing nothing instead of solving the problem in which you're weeping for and you eventually fell worse.

So do you think crying is a sign of weakness?

• 87 Replies
Koru7
Koru7
1,405 posts
Nomad

Yeah, you could cry with joy, thats not weakness, just happiness.

Sheppard007
Sheppard007
237 posts
Nomad

Crying is just a human emotion. No, it isn't a sign of weakness, it is a sign of strength because it shows that you care. Otherwise we'd all be terminators if we had no emotion.

DBLACKSTAR
DBLACKSTAR
23,530 posts
Nomad

Crying is a sign of weakness, saying it is, is a sign of ignorance.

idontsuckthatmuch
idontsuckthatmuch
2,261 posts
Nomad

I just think it's a sign of being human, and showing emotion.

What?
Legion1350
Legion1350
5,365 posts
Nomad

Personally, I believe that all emotions are weakness. However, I also believe that a display of emotions is no different than having the emotion. My answer is yes, it is a sign of weakness; however, if I believed that all emotions weren't weakness, I would've said that it wasn't a sign of weakness.

LOL. You might want to revise that one. ;]
wipe42
wipe42
819 posts
Nomad

That didn't make sense. Read it again please.
~~

No crying isn't a sign of weakness. It could be a very upsetting and/or sad day that you just need to let it out on. While on that letting it out note, you could be crying because you have bottled something up for so long that you can't help it. That has actually happened to me before.
Other times you might cry is because you have something in your eye, or your eyes are just very dry, itchy, burned, basically just irritating in general.
deathopper
deathopper
1,564 posts
Nomad

Personally, I believe that all emotions are weakness.

Why? Aren't emotions considered what make humans humans? Without emotion we would all only be organic robots. So why do you consider them all a weakness?
James212
James212
88 posts
Blacksmith

Crying sometimes like crying during a death i guess is ok. But if you get punched and cry then your weak?

Legion1350
Legion1350
5,365 posts
Nomad

Why? Aren't emotions considered what make humans humans? Without emotion we would all only be organic robots. So why do you consider them all a weakness?

No, I believe logic and reason are what makes humans what we are. I don't see a benefit in any emotion; in fact, they are rather inhibiting, frequently overriding reason. Quite ironically, I've been to the point of tears wishing I could sacrifice all emotion for greater intelligence.
wipe42
wipe42
819 posts
Nomad

But if you get punched and cry then your weak?

Have you ever been punched in your sexual organs? If not then you don't know why you might sometimes cry when getting punched.

Personally, I believe that all emotions are weakness.

Were you raised as some sort of super spy killing machine? What is wrong with having emotions. I can see your point about them being a weakness but I don't think it's horrible to have them. There are some that I can agree with you on but others aren't so bad if used correctly.
Legion1350
Legion1350
5,365 posts
Nomad

Were you raised as some sort of super spy killing machine? What is wrong with having emotions. I can see your point about them being a weakness but I don't think it's horrible to have them. There are some that I can agree with you on but others aren't so bad if used correctly.

No, I am just absolutely devoted to logic. Love, anger, optimism, anticipation... These are all inhibitors. They block reason. They have caused all forms of downfall. I hate them all.
deadhead50
deadhead50
341 posts
Nomad

If a person never cried and never had an once of sadness in him then we wouldn't be human

i dont feel it as a sign of weakness but i just dont see any reason to cry, it dosent make me feel any better. and i gave that quote because i havent cried in 6 years. There is no point no matter how sad i am.
deathopper
deathopper
1,564 posts
Nomad

i dont feel it as a sign of weakness but i just dont see any reason to cry, it dosent make me feel any better. and i gave that quote because i havent cried in 6 years. There is no point no matter how sad i am.

Well like jeol said

On a mental level, crying is very relieving. Physically, it's pretty much a vent of emotion, emotion that can make you tense.

And I haven't cried for a very long time to, but I did cry once in my life. It inevitable, every single human being will cry at one point in his life, he could be an infant or a 70 y/o man, but he will cry at least once.
Legion1350
Legion1350
5,365 posts
Nomad

On a mental level, crying is very relieving. Physically, it's pretty much a vent of emotion, emotion that can make you tense.

This just gave me a thought. If you need to vent emotion, then you must not be able to control it very well. Therefore, except in certain occasions, (death, etc., where it could be permissible,) it is in fact a sign of weakness.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

Everybody needs to cry in my opinion. Holding in emotions just isn't healthy.

All the macho guys who say they don't cry, do. Just without anyone around.

& it's not just a girl thing to cry around friends. I have many male friends who have cried infront of me, looking for comfort. It's not weak, it's nice. People need the release and it shows they trust someone.

Showing 1-15 of 87