ForumsThe TavernTop 5 things young teens have completely wrong, (A Rant)

96 16654
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,150 posts
Peasant

I have noticed that teen culture has changed a lot since I was 13, and teens these days are so different, and it makes me die a little inside that they are so coddled and sheltered these days. It's actually quite sickening. The things people push on teens today is ridiculous and stupid. Here's the top five things I have found completely wrong with teen culture today.

#5: Vampires don't sparkle: I'm sure you all have heard of that horrible, horrible waste of money and bad talent known as 'twilight.' Not only did they make just about the WORST movie in history, they also completely destroyed the lore of the vampire. Teens these days now don't understand what a true vampire is. Vampires don't sparkle, vampires don't fall in love with humans, vampires don't talk about their feelings. Vampires are blood- sucking demons of the night who pray on humans for their blood. THAT'S IT! They don't sparkle in sunlight, THEY DIE! They don't talk about their feelings, they don't have feelings. Vampires don't fall in love with ugly women, either. They take the hottest chick in the village, and bite her to make her the vampire's bride for the sole purpose of producing little vampire babies. They also live in Transylvania, not WASHINGTON.

#4: The idiocy of cartoons is astounding: Cartoons these days have to be done by people who get paid in meth, because there's no other explanation for the absolute crap they put on TV these days. Growing up, I watched Tom and Jerry, the Looney Toons, those good cartoons that actually had a plot and actually were funny. the crap on today is absolutely horrible.

#3: The true value of a dollar: Kids these days don't understand what it is to have money, the green blood that makes the world spin. When I was a kid, I had to scrub the house SPOTLESS so I could make $1.75 so I then could sprint to the already passing ice- cream truck, in my bleach- stained shirt to get a ninja turtles ice cream bar. Now, kids just DEMAND it! They do absolutely NOTHING! I work 34 hours a week to make a wage where I STILL can't move out of my house, I can barely afford my car, and I never have enough money to go to walmart and buy a pair of pants, FOR WORK! What are these kids going to do when the mommy and daddy honeyhole runs out? have a temper tantrum and cry about it?

#2 Just because you have an autotune doesn't mean you have talent: The music teens listen to is TERRIBLE! Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus? Give me a break! they use so many auto tunes and voice effects that talent is completely useless! As long as they are good looking, they put em on stage and auto tune the hell out of them. The first band I listened to was the Beatles, there is true talent. The kids these days have absolutely NONE! It's like the record company went out and said "who is the most marketable idiot out there?" BOOM! Justin Biever. (I hereby REFUSE to correctly spell his name. he doesn't deserve it.) Biever has no talent. Biever is a total ******.

And the #1 thing teens have completely wrong is......

...wait for it....

DA- DA! The #1 thing kids have completely wrong is the meaning behind school: Seriously. Is is so imposed on kids that the meaning of school is to be the most popular person ever and have the most boyfriends/girlfriends they can. IT'S NOT! The purpose of school is to educate you so you don't suck at life! Half the crap they teach you, you'll probably never use, but they are also teaching you other things by the head fake (thank you Randy Pausch!). Yeah, you may never need to know that ridiculous math equation, but you're learning problem solving, critical thinking, and how to take something, and apply it universally. There is a point to learning this, and the point is so you don't fail at life.

Overall, my hopes for the generation under me are completely gone. I have no hope in any of these kids, and they're all going to be failures at life.
Rant over.

• 96 Replies
Legion1350
Legion1350
5,365 posts
Nomad

Don't worry, you have me! (On second thought, maybe that's not such a good thing... :P)

#5. When I think of vampires, I think of winged blood-sucking bat-men, like you'd find in Gothic literature or Van Helsing.

#4. I watch Spongebob. A funny, amusing cartoon that won't make you writhe in pain. (Also, does The Simpsons count?)

#3. I understand the value of money. I'm working for my father to make money for my future car. I don't work, I get no car.

#2. I listen to awesome music. Good rock and metal, like Rush, Metallica, Deep Purple, Styx, and Slayer. Actual, talented music.

#1. Finally, I enjoy school. I pay attention for the knowledge. (It's almost fun.) No knowledge, no good job, no money.

But yeah, I have no hope for anyone my age either, lol. I'd take talking to a 50-year-old over a 14-year-old any day.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,150 posts
Peasant

@ Leigon, Don't get me wrong, there are many exceptions. You're included, but this is the general trend for your age group. It pains my heart to know that you will be stereotyped with this group. haha

Legion1350
Legion1350
5,365 posts
Nomad

1. Why, thank you!
2. Hey, I'm the one who's crying. :|

Spectre4
Spectre4
32 posts
Nomad

#5. Real vampires bounce! But the view of vampires now is drastiacally different, especially with eastern influence. There are so many Manga/anime vampire themes, and they are popular. Now my views are heavily based around this also.

#4. Mostly agreed. Especially on Cartoon Network with CG Garfield abominations and that to which I dare not speak, Total Drama Island. Still there are occasional reruns of older shows like Tom and Jerry, but they are shown during times that most kids are in school during though.

#2. Im not sure about everyone, but I thought the point of music was the entertainment, to enjoy the sound and rhythm, not to listen to a talented person. So as long as the audio is desirable I dont care how bad the persons natural voice is. Though I completely agree with your statement about Cyrus and Beiber.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

One thing I don't like about this generation (this applies to girls in particular) is that they try and grow up way too quickly. True, this has always been the case, but it's far more severe than I've ever seen it. Why would a 12-year-old girl need to wear hoop earrings, make-up, a somewhat revealing strapped shirt and booty shorts? What do they expect is going to happen to them if they dress like that?

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,150 posts
Peasant

One thing I don't like about this generation (this applies to girls in particular) is that they try and grow up way too quickly. True, this has always been the case, but it's far more severe than I've ever seen it. Why would a 12-year-old girl need to wear hoop earrings, make-up, a somewhat revealing strapped shirt and booty shorts? What do they expect is going to happen to them if they dress like that?
It's half of the crap that they watch on TV, and it's half of the parents. The girls see these shows where all of the females are dolled up like that and they see them getting guys, so they want to replicate it. It's also the parents' fault for buying that crap for them in the first place.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,150 posts
Peasant

#5. Real vampires bounce! But the view of vampires now is drastiacally different, especially with eastern influence. There are so many Manga/anime vampire themes, and they are popular. Now my views are heavily based around this also.
I stick to the true lore, started by gothic depictions and Bram Stoker's Dracula.

#2. Im not sure about everyone, but I thought the point of music was the entertainment, to enjoy the sound and rhythm, not to listen to a talented person. So as long as the audio is desirable I dont care how bad the persons natural voice is. Though I completely agree with your statement about Cyrus and Beiber.
Yeah, I agree, My main point, that I didn't do too good of a job getting across was that music is all about the marketing now, it's not about the rythim or the beat.
Legion1350
Legion1350
5,365 posts
Nomad

Real vampires bounce!

Erm...?

Personally, I hate the sound of autotuning. I want to listen to a human, not a cyborg. Tom Araya? Great vocalist; all he does is yell it out.

Exactly, Ernie. Most of the girls I see around my age look like ******s. No joke; I can't stand the sight of them. Crap like this makes me stay in my basement with the normal people of AG.

It's half of the crap that they watch on TV, and it's half of the parents. The girls see these shows where all of the females are dolled up like that and they see them getting guys, so they want to replicate it. It's also the parents' fault for buying that crap for them in the first place.

Exactly; it's the media that's pushing this crap; now, young girls have it in their minds that they're nothing if they're not attractive. So, my generation's choice of mates is a group of hollow, shelled, narcissistic individuals.
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,206 posts
Peasant

#5: I agree.

#4: I do agree, but spongebob is quite good. Other then that, old cartoons totally wins against new ones. But if you think the cartoons are stupid you should look at the kids/teen shows with real people in it. It's horrible

#3: I don't think getting more money from your parents is that big of a deal :/ after all, how do you want to pay for your 350$ cellphone, your 299$ game console and so on, when you have to work insanely hard to a couple of dollars?

#2: I agree, but don't be too harsh on the market, they follow with the customers after all. If the demand for something is high, then the production of it will increase.

#1: I agree that many people do not focus on important things and do get distracted (all the time) by superficial stuff. But that goes both ways. Somebody that only focuses on school and only does work is just as must sucked in to ignorance by believing that school is your future, there is nothing else but work and school is an perfect learning system. No, the education system is crap, school is crap, but even if it is, it's a bit better then nothing.

idontsuckthatmuch
idontsuckthatmuch
2,261 posts
Nomad

Figured I'd put in my two cents:

#5: Luckily, I haven't encountered anyone at my school who actually thinks all vampires sparkle and all that, so I guess that one doesn't apply to me.

#4: Are cartoons really that bad nowadays? I stopped watching TV altogether (excluding MLP) after my favorite cartoons that I used to watch as a kid (Spongebob, etc.), got stupid and boring, and worse, got replaced by even stupider shows. And that was a few years ago.

#3: I know the value of money, but I can't speak for everyone else at my school. :/

#2: This is where I can agree with you on. It annoys the heck out of me when I'm listening to my iPod at school, and one of my friends say "Hey! Whatcha listening to?" I'm usually listening to something along the lines of A Day To Remember, Yellowcard, Relient K, or something along the lines of alternative. When I tell them that, they give me a funny look and say they've never heard of those bands before. Later, when I look at their music, I see things like Katy Perry, Ke$ha, LMFAO, and loads of other pop/whatever that I can barely look at without making me vomit. Makes me mad because 1) It makes me look like a hipster. That I can stand. 2) They automatically assume my music's bad simply because they've never heard of it. And 3) They think their music is the ****. Gah!

#1: I've known the actual meaning of school for a while, but again, I can't say the same for many at my school.

(Just in case you don't already know, I'm 14. So I'm "qualified" to post here. :P)

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

What are these kids going to do when the mommy and daddy honeyhole runs out?

Let them crash and burn and find out. It's their own fault if they're learning early on to mooch off their parents.

But if the parents are willing to give them money when their kids are kids, they may not just stop giving their kids money when their kids are adults. It's terrible, because it's spreading the false message that mooching is okay.
DeadlyVelociraptor
DeadlyVelociraptor
3,415 posts
Nomad

5#: I live in Washington. We don't have vampires, we have people that are polite in a scary way and too much ****ing RAIN!

4#: When I grew up I watched Yugi-Oh, Pokemon, and Digimon...

Dare to say ONE bad thing about pokemon and my childhood will kill you in your sleep. (joke)

=P

3#: Being 13 (almost-ish 14, but that's not even important), and having my parents loaded with money I understand what you say. I admit I get to enjoy random money whenever I want... At-least I don't demand it .

hey, I can't change it for myself, I'm already too spoiled and rotten.

2#: So, sadly, true...

I, for once, listen to actually good (I think) music... (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Cage the Elephant, Blur)

1#: As a socially failing nerd, you have my agreement.

But yeah, I think you got all of those reasons justified pretty well...

(Bad grammar shall be found in this post!)

loloynage2
loloynage2
4,206 posts
Peasant

4#: When I grew up I watched Yugi-Oh, Pokemon, and Digimon...

Pokemon was okay. I didn't really like it, but I did enjoy the "atmosphere" of the show (if you know what I'm saying). Yugi-Oh and other shows based on card games are horrible. They feel like just a load of advertisement. To find really good kids/pre-teen animes, you have to really search hard, be lucky or just live in Japan
DeadlyVelociraptor
DeadlyVelociraptor
3,415 posts
Nomad

Pokemon was okay. I didn't really like it, but I did enjoy the "atmosphere" of the show (if you know what I'm saying). Yugi-Oh and other shows based on card games are horrible. They feel like just a load of advertisement. To find really good kids/pre-teen animes, you have to really search hard, be lucky or just live in Japan

Exactly why I dumped yugi-Oh quickly, and grew out of pokemon (the TV show, I resumed buying the games afterwards)...

But DIGIMON! Man that show was amazing before they made the last two seasons... Which were terrible...
Koru7
Koru7
1,405 posts
Nomad

For 3, I get money for good grades. although i still do chores, my parents don't pay me for it. And i only get random money and gifts for birthdays and christmas.

Showing 1-15 of 96