ForumsThe Tavern2011 "American" Football Season

78 13590
pauler94
pauler94
2,513 posts
Nomad

Hey there "American" (I'll give a reason to these quotations later in this post) football fans. I couldn't find a thread like this, although there were threads like it in the past, like a year ago, about the 2010 season. But anyway, now that it's been over three and a half weeks since the players and owners agreed to a CBA and the lockout was lifted, players, coaches, and front offices went back on the field for training camp, and more recently, the pre-season began.

So, to formally introduce this thread, I would like to make it the "official" NFL thread for the 2011 season, because there's no other threads discussing the 2011 season. If this thread becomes popular (which I really, truly hope so), then this is the place where you can place your predictions on the outcome of games each week, and predict who will make the playoffs and come out on top in Super Bowl XLVI. Also, this is the place where you can talk about the teams you love, the teams you hate, the players you love, the players you hate, your opinions on the new rules that protect quarterbacks, and why you hate Roger Goodell.

And, about the quotations: This is a thread for the fans of American football on AG, not for "European" football fans to whine about us Americans "stealing the name of your sport". You are welcome to this thread if you are respectful to American football, otherwise your posts will be meaningless.

• 78 Replies
vinster132
vinster132
5,875 posts
Jester

I hate the new rule for kickoffs has to start at the 35 yard line. It ruins kickoffs. Those great returners, Josh Cribbs, Devin Hester, etc. Kickoff is part of football, and you move it to the 35 yard line. Fans will not see the great returns and now it's going to be touchback, touchback, touchback...Why not just start at the 20 then?

I know Roger Goodell is trying to protect all the players, but don't you think he kind of went overboard? I don't hate him. The new changes made the game completely...I guess different. I heard the most injuries came from kickoffs last year and apparently, that's reason they changed the rule.

And the team that I hate? The New England Patriots. I just don't like them.

pauler94
pauler94
2,513 posts
Nomad

I know Roger Goodell is trying to protect all the players, but don't you think he kind of went overboard?

He definitely did go overboard trying to protect the players, especially quarterbacks. Suh got fined $15,000 last season for a hit on Jay Cutler. I saw the hit and it was just a normal sack. Then last week, $20,000 for a hit on Dalton, which I kinda understood because he popped his helmet off, but sometimes you want to bring a guy down and have to do something like that. I don't think two illegal hits are worth $35,000. So, yes he did go overboard. But the one who definitely went overboard was James Harrison insulting Roger Goodell, calling him an anti-gay slur, a "crook" among other things.
The new changes made the game completely...I guess different

I think that he's taking the excitement out of the game. People watch football for big hits and kickoff returns for touchdowns because it makes the game exciting, and he's taking that out of the game.
And the team that I hate? The New England Patriots

I couldn't agree more.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Hmm.. I tend to hover around sports threads, but seeing my lack of know-how regarding gridiron football..

Would anyone care to give me the lowdown on upcoming NFL season? This early, are there any teams favoured to win? Any hype I should know of?

pauler94
pauler94
2,513 posts
Nomad

Would anyone care to give me the lowdown on upcoming NFL season? This early, are there any teams favoured to win? Any hype I should know of?

A lot of people are saying that the Philadelphia Eagles are the favorites to win the Super Bowl, but personally, I don't really see the chemistry there. They signed/traded for a bunch of stars on both defense and offense, and the way I see it, the less stars you have the better, because you need a team that works as a unit, not 4 or 5 players that are better than the rest. Another one is the New England Patriots, because they have the best current quarterback, Tom Brady, and they got another receiver, Chad Ochocinco, and a bunch of defensive add-ons. They have a very intelligent coach, so they could actually win it all.
vinster132
vinster132
5,875 posts
Jester

Hm...Steelers win vs the Eagles today, 24-14. But who cares, it's the preseason, everybody's shaky due to the lockout and all the stuff they had to settle. Wait, why am I watching preseason football? I have no idea.

I know the Rams aren't my favorite team but do you think they're a threat in the NFC west. The NFC west seems to be the weakest. But I think this year Sam Bradford will pull through with the Rams and get a winning record, 9-7. And get into the playoffs.

I think that he's taking the excitement out of the game. People watch football for big hits and kickoff returns for touchdowns because it makes the game exciting, and he's taking that out of the game.

Yeah, it's a contact sport. I know people will be like "OMG he got hit hella hard!" and the person who got hit gets a major injury. Then, Roger changes the rules. And also, now there's a 1% chance of actually returning a kickoff and scoring all the way.
pauler94
pauler94
2,513 posts
Nomad

I know the Rams aren't my favorite team but do you think they're a threat in the NFC west.

The Cardinals seem to be the favorites. They got their quarterback and now they can be a good team again, with Larry Fitzgerald, but I don't like Kevin Kolb. I don't think the Rams will win their division just yet though. They still have trouble at wide receiver. But Sam Bradford is an exceptional player. I hope they win the division.
vinster132
vinster132
5,875 posts
Jester

The Cardinals seem to be the favorites. They got their quarterback and now they can be a good team again, with Larry Fitzgerald, but I don't like Kevin Kolb.

I didn't really see much of Kolb when he was working with the Eagles. Probably because Vick just stole it all. But Kolb overall to me, it's decent, ups and downs for him. If he can get good coordination with Fitzgerald, they might have a chance.

49ers might have a chance too. It depends if Alex Smith can play well consistently and make the right decisions on throwing the ball. They have talent but they need to...play better. Personally, their defense is decent as well. With Pat Willis there and all.

I don't think the Rams will win their division just yet though. They still have trouble at wide receiver. But Sam Bradford is an exceptional player. I hope they win the division.

Yeah, they need a good receiver. Bradford, last year as a rookie, he did make some mistakes. That's part of being a rookie though. I also hope they can win the division.
pauler94
pauler94
2,513 posts
Nomad

I didn't really see much of Kolb when he was working with the Eagles. Probably because Vick just stole it all. But Kolb overall to me, it's decent

Oh, I think he sucks, but apparently he's doing well.
mdv96
mdv96
1,017 posts
Nomad

San Francisco 49ers might have a chance too.

No they won't but why?

Alex Smith

I think that any team in a division where the leader went 7-9 would have a chance. Just don't count on a repeat by the Seattle Seahawks. Im thinking St. Louis is the front runners in that division, Rams will go 9-7 or 10-6 and clinch the NFC West.

This early, are there any teams favoured to win? Any hype I should know of?

Like pauler94 said earlier, the Philadelphia Eagles has been given the name the "dream team" as many times as the US Mens Olympic Basketball team. Keep an eye on them.
mdv96
mdv96
1,017 posts
Nomad

This is a thread for the fans of American football on AG, not for "European" football fans to whine about us Americans "stealing the name of your sport". You are welcome to this thread if you are respectful to American football, otherwise your posts will be meaningles

Also about this, I know Rugby players have a saying: Soccer is a gentlemen's game played by hooligans. Rugby is a hooligans game played by gentlemen. Think about that.

Sorry for X2 post
vinster132
vinster132
5,875 posts
Jester

No they won't but why?

Yeah, I know they aren't so good. They still have that little bit of a chance. If, Alex Smith can play consistently, but I'm not so hyped about them winning. The Rams deserve to win their division with a winning record. As Sam Bradford, runs into his 2nd season, he'll have more experience in the league. I'm very sure he can play better.
mdv96
mdv96
1,017 posts
Nomad

Yeah, I know they aren't so good. They still have that little bit of a chance. If, Alex Smith can play consistently, but I'm not so hyped about them winning

Which is the issue, Alex Smith has never been consistent. He had maybe 1 game that showed promise but to be fair, he never had much of a supporting cast as in an O-Line. This was just awful.

As Sam Bradford, runs into his 2nd season, he'll have more experience in the league. I'm very sure he can play better.

Sam Bradford and the Rams have nowhere to go but up. The addition of Mike Sims-Walker will give Bradford a big, physical outside reciever for the deep balls. But the 49ers got Braylon Edwards *sob*.

Stranger things have happened. Miami went 1-15 one year and the next year they win the Brady-less AFC East. You never know.
pauler94
pauler94
2,513 posts
Nomad

Sam Bradford and the Rams have nowhere to go but up. The addition of Mike Sims-Walker will give Bradford a big, physical outside reciever for the deep balls

I still think that the Rams should gamble a little in the 2012 draft. Regardless of where they are in the draft, they should pick up a wide receiver in the first round. I wish they got Julio Jones, which was kinda likely, but then the Bengals took AJ Green, who should've gone to the Browns, who traded out of their spot and let the Falcons take Julio Jones. So now, the Bengals have a wide receiver who's a potential Pro-Bowler, but he's on, in my opinion, the worst team in the league, by far. I really don't like the Bengals, due to how dumb their front office is, and how dumb their coaching staff is. I think they should pull a mid-90's Cleveland Browns and just take a few years off, or just shut down their franchise, because they're just so pathetic. Lol.

But anyway, the Rams could use another receiver, and I think that they should at least trade up a few spots in the draft, depending on how they do this year, to get one. Because Sam Bradford with a good receiving core will guarantee the Rams the NFC West.
vinster132
vinster132
5,875 posts
Jester

Which is the issue, Alex Smith has never been consistent. He had maybe 1 game that showed promise but to be fair, he never had much of a supporting cast as in an O-Line. This was just awful.

Ha, that video made me laugh and say "What the heck?" There's no receiver near the ball. Yes, that proves he's not consistent. I still think that it's not all of his fault. As I saw in the preseason game, 49ers vs Saints, the offensive line just got stumped by the Saints defense. But surprisingly Smith played pretty good in the game vs the Raiders.

Oh yeah, I heard 2 people were hurt, one of them severely hurt. 49ers and Raiders fans goin' at it and giving some punches. I believe someone got shot too. It's a freakin' preseason game, who cares? Good thing they're looking into it and trying to improve fan safety because the videos on the fights didn't look good.
delossantosj
delossantosj
6,672 posts
Nomad

well, im certainly not expecting a lot out of the broncos. but i think maybe a positive record this year is a possibility.

go broncos

Showing 1-15 of 78