ForumsThe Tavern2011 "American" Football Season

78 13591
pauler94
pauler94
2,513 posts
Nomad

Hey there "American" (I'll give a reason to these quotations later in this post) football fans. I couldn't find a thread like this, although there were threads like it in the past, like a year ago, about the 2010 season. But anyway, now that it's been over three and a half weeks since the players and owners agreed to a CBA and the lockout was lifted, players, coaches, and front offices went back on the field for training camp, and more recently, the pre-season began.

So, to formally introduce this thread, I would like to make it the "official" NFL thread for the 2011 season, because there's no other threads discussing the 2011 season. If this thread becomes popular (which I really, truly hope so), then this is the place where you can place your predictions on the outcome of games each week, and predict who will make the playoffs and come out on top in Super Bowl XLVI. Also, this is the place where you can talk about the teams you love, the teams you hate, the players you love, the players you hate, your opinions on the new rules that protect quarterbacks, and why you hate Roger Goodell.

And, about the quotations: This is a thread for the fans of American football on AG, not for "European" football fans to whine about us Americans "stealing the name of your sport". You are welcome to this thread if you are respectful to American football, otherwise your posts will be meaningless.

• 78 Replies
CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

Cowboys Jets game came as a surprise that it came down to a field goal. Thought it would be a blow out for the jets honestly. Also Steelers still not over losing to the packers apparently lol.

vinster132
vinster132
5,875 posts
Jester

Jets almost lost that Sunday Night game. But Romo just started to suck a lot in the late 3rd and all of the 4th. And Jay Leonard or was it Jim? <- You can answer this Paul. Romo and many other quarterbacks need to learn to throw the ball away and not lob it up when you're in pressure. Unless, you're Vick who is a mobile quarterback and can dodge the pressure. Otherwise, throw the ball away and here's a little word from myself. Tip #40- Do not lob it up to Derelle Revis. Never ever do that. Romo didn't follow that one. And that was costly. Great comeback for the Jets.

Also Steelers still not over losing to the packers apparently lol.

That's understandable. Every team's dream or every player's dream is to win the big one, the Super Bowl, and losing it will let you down immensely. They should be able to run over and forget about losing and move on eventually.
CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
888 posts
Nomad

Lol Kevin Kolb. Like almost every other player in the league, I hate him. He was awful in Philly, like really bad. He had 2 good games in place of McNabb in 09 and he whined so much that McNabb got traded. So he starts in 10 and gets a concussion, and Vick takes over. He's God awful. But that's not the worst part. He gets traded to Arizona for the star corner Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, which is a really dumb trade, and becomes a rich man. Sure he has Larry Fitzgerald, but... Who else?

Better then the qb we had last year with max hall, John skeleton, and Derek anderson. Look. I understand people thing DRC/ Kolb trade wasn't worth it but Arizona needed a qb more then anyone. You win the sport with a qb, wr, te, and line. Not with corners.
vinster132
vinster132
5,875 posts
Jester

Corners can still make a very large difference in the game. Take the Cowboys and Jets game for a example, Derelle Revis got that INT almost at the end of the game. And there was enough time for Romo to get down field and score, he didn't manage to do that though. Wait...hold on, is Revis is corner? Yeah, I forget stuff.

pauler94
pauler94
2,513 posts
Nomad

And Jay Leonard or was it Jim? <- You can answer this Paul.

It's Jim.
Jets almost lost that Sunday Night game

I was actually surprised that they won. The Cowboys were doing so well... That's hard to imagine. I actually went to sleep with like 8 minutes left in the game. Because I thought the Cowboys would score, and instead Romo fumbled the ball right after I turned the TV off.
You win the sport with a qb, wr, te, and line. Not with corners.

Imagine the Patrick Peterson/DRC cornerback tandem though... you'd shut down the other team's starting receivers.
vinster132
vinster132
5,875 posts
Jester

You win the sport with a qb, wr, te, and line. Not with corners.

No, everybody works as a team and wins or loses as a team. Corners are as big as every position in the NFL at the moment right now.
Zultimategamer2000
Zultimategamer2000
430 posts
Nomad

That was the ugliest game I've EVER seen Brady play, next to the other 4-pick he had in 06. He made just about every wrong read, and by the time the pats FINALLY decided to run the ball, it was too late. But what REALLY hurt was that they sign O-Choke-Cinco to give Brady a legitimate deep threat, he dropped what would've been a sure score, and cost the Pats an extra 3 or 4 minutes on that drive, time that could've been on the clock on the Bills final drive.

But give credit to the Bills, they seem for real so far. Or at least as for real as you can be when playing not very good D's. But either way, impressive wins over KC(blowout win), OAK(18-point comeback win) and NE(21-point comeback win). They take advantage when you make mistakes. That we saw yesterday.

As a Pats fan, that was probably one of the most heart-breaking losses, at least in the regular season(42 and losing to colts in AFCC in 06 are the top 2 EVER in the Brady era), since the Brady era.

Seems Manning is pretty much out for the season at this point. A bit disappointing considering he came off a good season last year, minus the bad 3 game streak where he threw for at least 3 picks.

Packers looking good. the fact that they surrendered 400+ yds to a rookie is a bit concerning, but the D finally showed up against the Bears.

I know it's only Week 3, but the Steelers... What can you say... Blown out by the Ravens, then blewout a pathetic Seahawks team, then BARELY, and I do mean BARELY, beat the Colts WITHOUT Peyton manning last night. When you only get 16 points on offense against the Colts' D, you know you're not doing good.(I know they actually scored 23, but 7 of em came via a pick-6)

And the QBs, oh the QBs. What can you say? Brady has thrown at least 387 in all 3 of his games, Newton had 2 400+ yd games, Brees and Rodgers have been lighting it up, what has happened to football? I miss the days of watching RBs dominate the league. Now there are maybe 5 or 6 RBs who dominate. Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson(sometimes), Jamaal Charles(but he's now out for the season), Arian Foster(last year anyway), and maybe Darren McFadden or Ray Rice.

QBs are exciting, but when the fact that in 2010 no RB got over 1300 yds is a sign that RBs are becoming less essential than EVER.

And lastly, who'd have thought Matthew Stafford would be so good? For a guy who missed basiavlly all of last season, he's playing like a Tom Brady, Peyton Manning right now, and for the LIONS of all teams.

Who'd have thought the Lions and Bills would be 3-0? If you said that, you were either joking, or very, very smart.

I had teh Bills as my sleeper team, about an 8 or 9 win team, but I never would've guessed they'd be this good. They look like a legitimate 12 win team right now, especially with their rather weak schedule.

pauler94
pauler94
2,513 posts
Nomad

And lastly, who'd have thought Matthew Stafford would be so good?

I did. He was the real deal, he just couldn't take the sacks. It was almost like the Lions' offensive linemen were just standing there for two seasons, letting defenders run past them and beat up poor Stafford. But he always had the potential, especially in that game where he went over 400 yards.

Jets lost It was kind of disappointing too. Darren McFadden is a beast.
CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
888 posts
Nomad

Ok. Yes corners are a good thing to have as a team but seriously. Did you guys even pay attention to the Cardinals Season last year??? 5-11. NO LIE. And that was with DRC for a corner and 3 nobodies at Q. I would have loved it if we would have kept DRC to tutor Patrick Peterson(best guy in the Draft bytheway,[other than Cam Newton]) but with Kevin Kolb we have better looking chances then 5-11. maybe 8-8 or 7-9. But I refuse to accept that A CornerBack is more essential than a QB. It Just does not make sense.

ianhq
ianhq
150 posts
Nomad

Living in the U.K., I am a huge football (not the American type) fan, but I also love the Saints. That is the only team I follow in the NFL. They kicked the Texan's ***. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

When you only get 16 points on offense against the Colts' D, you know you're not doing good.(I know they actually scored 23, but 7 of em came via a pick-6)

Then they scored 23. Points is points is points. It doesn't matter how they're scored.

The way the Steelers (and the Ravens slightly less) is that they don't score much, but keep you from scoring more then them. As long as Polamalu stays healthy, then the Steelers are a legitimate threat. Big Ben has finally figured out that he can throw the foot ball, and so the WR corp is actually seeing some attention. Combined with Mendenhall and the RB/WR/QB Hines Ward, the Steelers have options, though certainly nothing too crazy.

Again, as long as Polamalu stays healthy, the Steelers shouldn't get blown out very often.
vinster132
vinster132
5,875 posts
Jester

I did. He was the real deal, he just couldn't take the sacks. It was almost like the Lions' offensive linemen were just standing there for two seasons, letting defenders run past them and beat up poor Stafford. But he always had the potential, especially in that game where he went over 400 yards.

If Calvin Johnson can stay healthy and work with Stafford all the way (if Stafford stays healthy and plays like this), the Lions have a chance to get to the playoffs but they have to get past the Packers or Bears. Good luck to them.
Living in the U.K., I am a huge football (not the American type) fan, but I also love the Saints. That is the only team I follow in the NFL. They kicked the Texan's ***. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Not really, it was a pretty close game until late 4th quarter where Drew Brees pulled together and wrapped up the game. The Texans give the Saints a good challenging whilst they were on the road. So, they technically didn't beat up the Texans that badly.
Then they scored 23. Points is points is points. It doesn't matter how they're scored.

True, but a lot of people expected a blow out from the Steelers because you all know the reason, Peyton Manning wasn't there (neck injury). The Colts defense stopped the running game. And Mathis and Freeney sacked Big Ben a few times and caused a few fumbles as well. Hey, this shows they have some hope to get through and get at least an 6-10, 7-9, or even possibly an 8-8 record. Anything is possible. But I'm not expecting the Colts to make it to the playoffs.
CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

How bout them cowboys? Winning with 6 field goals XD

ATC3
ATC3
76 posts
Nomad

I like the Titans this season. They are second in pass defense for the whole league. I think now they are really going to break out against the browns.

Zultimategamer2000
Zultimategamer2000
430 posts
Nomad

If the offense didn't score em, that doesn't count as points for offense.

So if a defensive player got a pick-6, the OFFENSE scored em? I dunno, but that sounds a bit off.

I like the Titans this season. They are second in pass defense for the whole league. I think now they are really going to break out against the browns.

well, never count your chickens before they hatch. Remember, Matt Hasselback's favorite target just went bye-bye for the season, and CJ2K... When Joseph Addai is having a higher YPC than you are, you are NOT doing well.

I don't think Matt can carry the Titans like a Peyton Manning can carry the Colts, but they do seem to have a legit shot at a 10 win season.

Unfortunately, the same could be said for the Texans. Luckily, jags are looking weak, and the Colts... We all know what's happening with the Colts.
Showing 31-45 of 78