ForumsThe Tavern2011 "American" Football Season

78 13585
pauler94
pauler94
2,513 posts
Nomad

Hey there "American" (I'll give a reason to these quotations later in this post) football fans. I couldn't find a thread like this, although there were threads like it in the past, like a year ago, about the 2010 season. But anyway, now that it's been over three and a half weeks since the players and owners agreed to a CBA and the lockout was lifted, players, coaches, and front offices went back on the field for training camp, and more recently, the pre-season began.

So, to formally introduce this thread, I would like to make it the "official" NFL thread for the 2011 season, because there's no other threads discussing the 2011 season. If this thread becomes popular (which I really, truly hope so), then this is the place where you can place your predictions on the outcome of games each week, and predict who will make the playoffs and come out on top in Super Bowl XLVI. Also, this is the place where you can talk about the teams you love, the teams you hate, the players you love, the players you hate, your opinions on the new rules that protect quarterbacks, and why you hate Roger Goodell.

And, about the quotations: This is a thread for the fans of American football on AG, not for "European" football fans to whine about us Americans "stealing the name of your sport". You are welcome to this thread if you are respectful to American football, otherwise your posts will be meaningless.

• 78 Replies
CJohnson81
CJohnson81
36 posts
Nomad

I dont think the Falcons will go super far, but they will have a winning record. But how bout them Packers, eh? On fire or what!

vinster132
vinster132
5,875 posts
Jester

Falcons look okay so far. Still kinda early to tell.

Falcons won today vs Panthers, 31-17.

I think Cam Newton is a good quarterback for a rookie, yeah they don't have a winning record. But he can't do everything well, besides Peyton Manning. They'll probably have a losing record this but a decent 7-9 or 8-8.

Colts stay winless in the lost vs the Bengals.

Andy Dalton coming from TCU, is a pretty underrated rookie QB. Cincinnati is 4-2! Holy crap...And the Colts are getting closer to Curtis Painter and he's progress his way and getting better. And if the Colts stay winless, they have a chance to get Kellen Moore or Andrew Luck.

49ers vs Lions, 49ers won.

It was very close all game. And the Lions had home field. But the 49ers just were too good defensively to let the big plays go. Overall, a good game by the 49ers. Quarterback wise, Stafford played better. Alex Smith isn't making mistakes which is good.

Green Bay wins- Pretty obvious.
Giants win- Looks like the Bills didn't circle the wagon this time.
Pitt wins- Once again, pretty obvious.

Eagles win.

I'm still not impressed. Zero points in the 2nd half, you have a dang 30 minutes to score and they didn't and the Redskins almost came back. So far the dream team? Not so good, but they won and that's all they need.

Ravens win- The Texans a high-powered offense. But it's too hard to get through the Ravens defense when Ray Lewis and the gang are around.

Raiders win- Kinda scary at the end where the Browns recovered the onside kick. Good play on defense by the Raiders to stop them on 4th down. They were getting down the field easily.

Pats win- Once again again, it's kinda obvious.

Bucs win- Good play by both QB's but Bucs mostly had the lead and that led to a win.

Sunday night, Vikings and Bears- I would say Bears. The Vikings aren't clicking.

Monday night- Jets will win. Mark Sanchez hasn't been consistent. But they should and will pull themselves together and win this.

CJohnson81
CJohnson81
36 posts
Nomad

Pats win- Once again again, it's kinda obvious

Obvious? It was 20-16 and the Pats scored with 30 seconds left in the 4th? You shouldn't say "sorta obvious" when they almost lost. Some people even had the Cowboys winning! Get your facts straight
zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

The Bengals are 4-2!!!

WHO DEY! WHO DEY! WHO DE THINK GONNA BEAT THEM BENGALS!!!

NOBODY!!!!!!!!!

Anyhoo, I am among the few fans who think that they actually might make a playoff run this year.

vinster132
vinster132
5,875 posts
Jester

Obvious? It was 20-16 and the Pats scored with 30 seconds left in the 4th? You shouldn't say "sorta obvious" when they almost lost. Some people even had the Cowboys winning! Get your facts straight

I meant who would win not how close the game was.
Anyhoo, I am among the few fans who think that they actually might make a playoff run this year.

They would have to get by the Ravens and Steelers.
CJohnson81
CJohnson81
36 posts
Nomad

I meant who would win not how close the game was.

I know.. some people said the Cowboyws would win. The only reason why they said the Pats would win was because of homefield advantage and that the Cowboys are coming out of a tough loss from Detriot.
Zultimategamer2000
Zultimategamer2000
430 posts
Nomad

The Lions are 5-1. Very surprising. But to put things into perspective...

Lions played the Vikes, Chiefs and Bucs 1st 3 weeks. About 80% of the league would've went 2-1 or 3-0 against those 3 teams. Week 4 they played Dallas. A decent win, but imo it was more a choke by Romo than a win for the Lions. Bears was a good win. But that loss to the 49ers was very surprising. Either way, until I see them play the Packers, I'm not gonna make a final judgement on them.

Patriots survive a near loss. Rob Ryan seems to have the Pats figured out. Bad news for them since Rex will pr'bly go and ask his bro how to stop em now. But they did pull off a win thanks to Brady's 32nd 4th Quarter game winning drive.

Dallas should really be 4-1 right now. The only reason they're 2-3 is because Romo has choked in the 4th quarter so many times. Plus, they were foolish enough to give Brady the ball with 2 and a half left.

Packers 6-0. I'll give em credit. here's where I'm not quite sold on em yet. The only 2 good teams they've played so far are the Bears and saints. When they played the Falcs, the Falcs were in a rut. Then look at the rest of their schedule. Vikes twice, Raiders, Cheifs and Bucs are 5 of 9 games left. The Packers have a ridiculously easy schedule. The only great team they play the rest of the year is Detroit and San Diego, and MAYBE the Bears based on your definition of a great team. I'm still not sold on em yet.

Carson Palmer traded. NO surprise there. If he threatens retirement, at least trade him if he refuses to play for you so you get something out of him.

Tim Tebow time in Denver. This should be pretty interesting. But how the hell do they expect Tebow to play well without Lloyd, and they're shopping Eddie Royal?

Can the Eagles turn it around? It looked that way against the Skins, but no one was really sold about the Skins anyways.

Giants looking like a border-line contender.They've had some good games, and some bad ones. Their game against the Pats will answer Q's for both teams.

Titans or Texans in AFC South? I still think Texans, but we won't know for sure until they play each other.

What's wrong with Brady and Brees? Brady's thrown 8 picks in 6 games, a career high. Brees has thrown 8 picks in his last 4 games after throwing none in the 1st 2 weeks, and 3 of his last 4 games he's thrown at least 2.

Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco, 2 guys I was so excited to watch earlier, seem to be regressing a little.

After a rough start, can the Steelers catch the Ravens in the AFC North?

AFC East looking like a 2-horse race. No surprise there. The surprise is that it's not the Patriots and the Jets fighting for the Division crown, but the Patriots and the BILLS.

Now I had the Bills as my sleeper team, I expected them to come out and win 9-10 games this year, so I'm not surprised. But the Jets have played pretty poorly so far, even against the Phins yesterday. If the Phins had had Henne instead of Moore, they pr'bly wouldn't have had all those TO's, and would've won.

Surprisng teams. Bills, Raiders are 4-2, 49ers and Lions are 5-1. Meanwhile, the Jets, Cowboys, Eagles have combined for just 7 wins. If you said you predicted this at the beginning of the season, you are a liar.

zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

Carson Palmer traded. NO surprise there. If he threatens retirement, at least trade him if he refuses to play for you so you get something out of him.

I was SO glad when he got dumped! I mean, now we get two-count em-TWO first round draft picks for a QB who is going to actually retire in a few years!
vinster132
vinster132
5,875 posts
Jester

What do you guys think about Jim Harburgh and Jim Schwartz hand snake?

Titans or Texans in AFC South? I still think Texans, but we won't know for sure until they play each other.

Texans with Andre Johnson. Titans without Andre Johnson. I believe the Texans lost twice without Andre Johnson so far. But we'll see.
CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
888 posts
Nomad

How bout them 49er's????
5-1 beating Detroit. Alex Smith has hit his groove and is really turning his game around after last year's terrible season.
Cardinals had an off week (thank goodness) so they did not get any worse. I agree with ESPN on one thing. It can only go uphill for them from here. I do not agree with them because they say that Kevin Kolb is making poor decisions. I believe this is so because Levi Brown, the tackle, can not hold his man and Kolb feels like he is going to be sacked very time he gets the ball so he is going to make rushed plays causing errors.

As for a Super bowl Prediction right now? Patriots vs. Packers.

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

As for a Super bowl Prediction right now? Patriots vs. Packers.

Patriots are not good enough to make it to the super bowl. They are still a good team but not as good as in previous years.

Packers will probably make it to the super bowl. They are playing like defending super bowl champions.
Zultimategamer2000
Zultimategamer2000
430 posts
Nomad

I'm a Pats fan, but at the moment I don't see a SB. Maybe an AFCC. The problem is the Pats bend, don't break D. That's gonna come back to bite em come playoff time.

Packers have had a pretty easy schedule so far. I'm reserving my opinion on me til the playoffs actually start.

The 49er's are surprise. But Alex Smith has never really been a great QB. Plus, he played horribly against the Lions.

Looks as though D's are starting to catch up to O's yet again. Fewer teams than what's been the norm this year for 30+ point games last week.

Does anyone think that Manning is done in Indy? My friend says he's done, but I'm not willing to write off Manning, one of the greatest QB's of all-time, just yet.

CJohnson81
CJohnson81
36 posts
Nomad

What you guys think about the Pats vs Pitt. I think it'll be a good game. Pitt has been doing pretty good and the Pats passing offense hasn't been doing that hot. I think Tom Brady will step up against Pitt though...

My guess.. Pats will win by a TD or TD + FG

Zultimategamer2000
Zultimategamer2000
430 posts
Nomad

Well, something tells me that the pats and Brady are gonna get owned in their game against Pitt. I just feel like everything is coming to bite Brady(3 of his 8 Ints were tipped after only having 4 ints all of last year).

But it should be an interesting game. Both teams have byes this week, so no advantage for either team there.

Pats will win though, despite my uneasy feeling, 27-24.

Showing 61-74 of 78