ForumsThe Tavern2011 "American" Football Season

78 13587
pauler94
pauler94
2,513 posts
Nomad

Hey there "American" (I'll give a reason to these quotations later in this post) football fans. I couldn't find a thread like this, although there were threads like it in the past, like a year ago, about the 2010 season. But anyway, now that it's been over three and a half weeks since the players and owners agreed to a CBA and the lockout was lifted, players, coaches, and front offices went back on the field for training camp, and more recently, the pre-season began.

So, to formally introduce this thread, I would like to make it the "official" NFL thread for the 2011 season, because there's no other threads discussing the 2011 season. If this thread becomes popular (which I really, truly hope so), then this is the place where you can place your predictions on the outcome of games each week, and predict who will make the playoffs and come out on top in Super Bowl XLVI. Also, this is the place where you can talk about the teams you love, the teams you hate, the players you love, the players you hate, your opinions on the new rules that protect quarterbacks, and why you hate Roger Goodell.

And, about the quotations: This is a thread for the fans of American football on AG, not for "European" football fans to whine about us Americans "stealing the name of your sport". You are welcome to this thread if you are respectful to American football, otherwise your posts will be meaningless.

• 78 Replies
deadhead50
deadhead50
341 posts
Nomad

i don't know much about football, but i know the team i like is horrid! GO BILLS WOO!

(yea hometown)

pauler94
pauler94
2,513 posts
Nomad

Speaking of the Niners, their timid season is one reason why I hate NFL analysts. I know predicting who'll win each division is hard, because there's usually a surprise team, like the Chiefs or even the Raiders, but I get the feeling that they don't know what they're talking about. They predicted a breakout season from Alex Smith. However, he was kinda considered a bust, and had a young offensive line, two of which were drafted in 2010, and probably expected them to be impact players, whereas offensive linemen almost always aren't impact players, with the exception of Jake Long and a couple others... *facepalm*. Moving on, another analyst predicted the Cowboys to win the Super Bowl in 2010 (2011? Let's just call it the 2010 season). Tony Romo has only one playoff win in his career, and the Cowboys spent their first round pick on a wide receiver when they had 3 nasty ones already (a good draft class can benefit you in the long run, but a bad one will only hurt you right away)... *facepalm*. Moving on, again, an analyst considered the Jets an overrated team, I think it was the same one who predicted the Cowboys to win the Super Bowl... *facepalm*. That brings me to my next rant:

If you consider the Jets to be a bad team, then you clearly don't know a lot about football, or you're a bandwagon Patriots fan, same thing really. Or you're just not a fan of the Jets. I am. So, with that out of the way, after reading Rex Ryan's book (which is very good), I gained so much more respect for my favorite franchise, more than I've already had, and I was loyal as hell to my Jets, but I also gained respect for Mark Sanchez, who for the past two seasons I've wanted to take his helmet and throw it in the garbage. But reading the book, I was amazed by what Rex had to say about his talents, and I actually think he can become an elite QB. But anyway, if you're not a fan of the Jets then you don't know how Rex approaches the game and the media. He makes sure that his players are having fun when they're playing the game, but they're also serious about it, which is brilliant because if you're too serious about playing football, or any sport, then you're at a disadvantage. And he also wrote that he says this "It's personal between me and this guy" thing to attract attention to himself, and to put less pressure on his players. I could go on but I think that's enough for now.

So I'm basically done talking about football for the rest of the day... If I feel like it, I'll have another rant tomorrow or later in the day. I hope this wasn't too long to read.

pauler94
pauler94
2,513 posts
Nomad

Oh yeah, I heard 2 people were hurt, one of them severely hurt. 49ers and Raiders fans goin' at it and giving some punches. I believe someone got shot too. It's a freakin' preseason game, who cares?

Sorry for the double post, but I feel like I have the need to talk about this. I heard about this the other day. So, It's 8:23 AM where I live, I couldn't sleep last night, I'm bored, so I'm watching SportsCenter. And, apparently, one person was shot four times, another is suffering from serious gunshot wounds, and there were a couple of fights. The father of one of the victims who was beaten made a very good point, and I even teared up a little. He said something like "It's just a game. It's not worth getting upset over. We're all people, we all have hearts, whether we're White, Black, Hispanic, or Asian. We have families, we have lives. We all need to just get along." I know I'm kinda hellbent on people making fun of the Jets, like I wrote in my first post, but seriously, if I went to a Jets Patriots game at New Meadowlands (or MetLife Stadium, as of today) and saw a guy wearing a Tom Brady jersey, I wouldn't pull a gun on him, or even throw my fist into his face. Sports shouldn't play a role in who you hate, and like the guy said, one game isn't worth it and we should learn to respect one another as football fans.
vinster132
vinster132
5,875 posts
Jester

Speaking of the Niners, their timid season is one reason why I hate NFL analysts. I know predicting who'll win each division is hard, because there's usually a surprise team, like the Chiefs or even the Raiders, but I get the feeling that they don't know what they're talking about.

Like in my opinion, the Rams had a breakout season, with a rookie QB. Even though they didn't get a chance to make the playoffs. They went from poop/one of the worst teams ever, to a very very decent team. Yeah, predicting stuff is hard...the analysts might just be going with their favorite teams or something...I don't know exactly.
*facepalm*. Moving on, again, an analyst considered the Jets an overrated team, I think it was the same one who predicted the Cowboys to win the Super Bowl... *facepalm*. That brings me to my next rant:

I wouldn't really consider one specific team overrated. Every team has their own fans. There's no 'too much' or 'too little. I'm sure that all 32 teams have a good average amount of fans. It doesn't matter if the team sucks.
If you consider the Jets to be a bad team, then you clearly don't know a lot about football, or you're a bandwagon Patriots fan, same thing really. Or you're just not a fan of the Jets.

Well, Mark Sanchez is working his way up towards the elite ranks. I think he's kind of underrated, in the shadow. Everybody talks about Brady, and all the other top quarterbacks. If Jets can win the superbowl this year, I'm positive, Sanchez will get those reps.

About the Cowboys, winning the superbowl. One thing, lol. They say the Cowboys are America's favorite team.....no they aren't.

I wouldn't pull a gun on him, or even throw my fist into his face. Sports shouldn't play a role in who you hate, and like the guy said, one game isn't worth it and we should learn to respect one another as football fans.

Well, apparently, Oakland is one of the cities in California with full of murders and problems. And I guess, people are dirty these days and like to pick on people they hate. Not dislike, literally hate. Dislike is an understatement in this case, just look at the fight videos and read the news and reports on the people who got shot.

The victim's dad was right. It's just a game. And to add, it's pretty dirty and crazy on the field, now, it's in the stands. Stupid...Everybody has their own personal opinions on their favorite teams, but the rivals act like they don't care.
pauler94
pauler94
2,513 posts
Nomad

Well, Mark Sanchez is working his way up towards the elite ranks

I'm a huge Jets fan, like really big, and I know he's done a lot of off-season preparation, but I'll believe it when I see it.
About the Cowboys, winning the superbowl. One thing, lol. They say the Cowboys are America's favorite team.....no they aren't.

A lot of people love them (bandwagoners), and a lot more people hate them.
vinster132
vinster132
5,875 posts
Jester

We're nearing the regular season, and the regular season opener is the Packers against the Saints. And really good game if you ask me.

vinster132
vinster132
5,875 posts
Jester

Sorry about the dp but...

The Packers and Saints game was a total offensive shootout between Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees throwing like crazy. But the Packer defense did get some key stops like at the end of the game. That call for defensive pass interference wasn't really a good call in my opinion. He just jumped for the ball and tipped it. Still though, the Packers win the game with the run stop. I was expecting a play action style play...Great game for opening the regular season.

Nater
Nater
1,296 posts
Nomad

GOOOOOPACKERRRRSSSS $UB3RRRRRRRBOWLLLLLLLZZZZZXXXX2012REEEEEPEATTTTTTTTTT

But really I'm a few minutes out of Philly so I've been an Eagles fan as long as i've been here. Second fav team is Falcons for the highpower offense which I love to watch then the Jags due to my fav RB ever, Jason Taylor. Sad he's retiring but at least it's as a Jag.

CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

The Packers and Saints game was a total offensive shootout between Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees throwing like crazy. But the Packer defense did get some key stops like at the end of the game. That call for defensive pass interference wasn't really a good call in my opinion. He just jumped for the ball and tipped it. Still though, the Packers win the game with the run stop. I was expecting a play action style play...Great game for opening the regular season.

Couldnt have put it better myself. Probably would have added some of this though:
GOOOOOPACKERRRRSSSS $UB3RRRRRRRBOWLLLLLLLZZZZZXXXX2012REEEEEPEATTTTTTTTTT
chitown
chitown
1,614 posts
Farmer

I am pretty excited for football tomorrow. I am a Chicago Bears fan so the new kickoff rule really hurts my team.

I also don't get why so many 'experts' say the Bears are going to be bad this year. They were the number 2 seed last year and I think they have gotten better.

With the additions of Marion Barber and Roy Williams there offense have gotten much better. This is also Jay Cutler's second year under Mike Martz's offense and he should play better.

The o-line has also improved and that should also help Cutler.

The defense has always been good and I don't see them letting up this year.

So I think that the Bears will have a pretty good season and probably make the playoffs as a Wild Card team.

pauler94
pauler94
2,513 posts
Nomad

But the Packer defense did get some key stops like at the end of the game

I have the Packers' D on my 1st fantasy team. It's good they won the game, but they did surrender 34 points...
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

I also don't get why so many 'experts' say the Bears are going to be bad this year. They were the number 2 seed last year and I think they have gotten better.

The Bears problem as I see it is that their two running backs, Chester Taylor and Matt Forte, are really the exact same. Similar weight, height, and play style. Both are pretty good, though I think Forte does better in the Redzone.

The o-line has also improved and that should also help Cutler.

After the Chicago-New York (Giants) game, they had nowhere to go but up. XD

The Pittsgurgh-Baltimore game is going to be great. I personally want to see the same matchup in the AFC championship. Easily the best game of the season. Go Pitt!
CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
888 posts
Nomad

It's all about the Cards. I Think that it's going to be Patriots and Eagles in the Super Bowl.

pauler94
pauler94
2,513 posts
Nomad

It's all about the Cards

Lol Kevin Kolb. Like almost every other player in the league, I hate him. He was awful in Philly, like really bad. He had 2 good games in place of McNabb in 09 and he whined so much that McNabb got traded. So he starts in 10 and gets a concussion, and Vick takes over. He's God awful. But that's not the worst part. He gets traded to Arizona for the star corner Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, which is a really dumb trade, and becomes a rich man. Sure he has Larry Fitzgerald, but... Who else?

I really can't wait for the Sunday Night game. (My) Jets vs. the Cowboys. You know, you have to wonder, after so many games of Tony Romo sucking, and his performance in the playoffs, how could any experts STILL consider him good?
vinster132
vinster132
5,875 posts
Jester

Pretty surprised about Pitt's performance today. I think they give the ball up 6 times. And Ben give it to Ed Reed twice. Horrible. I guess they're a little downed because they didn't win the Super Bowl in February. I've noticed one of the either teams in the Super Bowl loses it. Like the Giants, they aren't that good anymore. The Colts have gone down a bit. (A lot if you count Peyton Manning gone.) The Steelers might go down because of today's terrible play.

Colts are built around Peyton Manning. And without them, they have about a 10% chance of actually winning their division. With the Texans rising bit by bit they'll likely win the division. Good luck to Kerry Collins if he can help the team. I'm not saying he sucks, but he's like what? 29 or 40 now. See Farve? He just boom...died (not really) just totally went down.

And about Kevin Kolb, he doesn't suck that badly. I'm not a fan nor I hate him. I still think he's not ready to be able to take the Cardinals into the playoffs. But one thing, their division is the worst literally ever. I mean look at last year, the Seahawks were 7-9 (they did beat the Saints, which was really shocking and nearly beat the Bears).

Patriots. I don't greatly dislike them because I don't have a legit reason why. But I just dislike them. Eagles they're alright...They do have a good chance due to the "Dream Team" they've made adding a lot of talent. They can't say it, they have to prove that they are a team that a take on other fantastic teams. Vick was a great comeback player just to say. Watch out for the Packers, they might repeat the Super Bowl.

The Cowboys...meh not that great. They won't stand a chance against the Jets' well-established defense. Rex Ryan is too good for ya Romo. I know I felt kinda bad for him suffering from that collarbone. If you prove today that you can beat the Jets, then, he's good. I'm gonna take the Jets on this one considering they're at home.

Showing 16-30 of 78