ForumsWEPRReasons to be an Atheist .

660 146769
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

Alright I have been researching theories talking with other Atheists and I have discovered some people who are Atheists but for the wrong reasons like...
1.Settling a score with God because they hate him for (whatever)reasons.
2.Just because.
Some good reasons...
1.There is no evidence.
2.A book written by primitive people is no proof for any God/Gods.
3.Nothing can be omniscient and omnipotent.
Any other reasons can be stated for I am interested in some of your reasons or reasons not to be.

• 660 Replies
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

why dose every thing have to be religious cant we just ignore the fact that were atheist Muslim christian cant we just get along and stop arguing who is right

There are plenty of other topics on the front page that aren't about religion.
Wikiwikiweb
Wikiwikiweb
47 posts
Nomad

why dose every thing have to be religious cant we just ignore the fact that were atheist Muslim christian cant we just get along and stop arguing who is right

Sorry friend, but it will never happen. You've got the zealous christian type, the stubborn athiest, the muslims, etc. I like that armor games has a variety of topics.
Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

Atheist is the common lack of belief in a deity. The idea that they're atheist has little influence on their actions, actually.

It does for the atheists I know. They say they're atheist, so they automatically put themselves above every theist they're around. They have that elitist mindset. I don't know where there could've been confusion in my other posts, unless you didn't read them.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

They say they're atheist, so they automatically put themselves above every theist they're around. They have that elitist mindset. I

Correlation does not equal causation.

They are an Atheist. That ONLY means they do not have a belief in a god diety. That's it. Nothing more to it.

There are more theists with elitist mindsets simply because there are more theists in the world, does that mean being a theist makes you an elitist? No.
Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

Correlation does not equal causation.

They are an Atheist. That ONLY means they do not have a belief in a god diety. That's it. Nothing more to it.

Again, I'm only talking about the atheists that I know personally (meaning I have met them in person and have had a conversation with them and/or go to school with them). All of the atheists I know say they are better because they are atheists.
Highfire
Highfire
3,025 posts
Nomad

What Kasic said. The general idea of elitism revolves on having ammunition for it. "The music does not play the musician."

- H

lostmanfound
lostmanfound
124 posts
Nomad

I'm atheist and i don't get why people would beleive in god... with the logic of the bible there are no dinosaurs because theres no evouvltion... just cause one person died why does evry one get a get out of jail free card like what leason does that teach ur kids "dont worry sin some bearded guys gonna save you"... and then theres the fact that only beleives get into to heaven what kind of twisted person comes up with that "dont beleive me well go to hell happy tourchor... lets not forget zombie jesus i mean what is he giving up if he pops back up 3 days later...and it took 7 days to create the world yep for sure... all religion is just some thinjg people make up to make sense of what they dont under stand

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

I'm atheist and i don't get why people would beleive in god.

It get's drilled into their head at an early age, they attribute some feeling to it being God or they have some sort of subjective experience which they can't explain so they attribute it to God.
ChainsxApples
ChainsxApples
5 posts
Nomad

I think this is the most calm Atheist forum post I have ever seen... Props to that, and the calm analytic approach to many of these arguments, rather than "Just because God is stupid."

Eliminator50
Eliminator50
1 posts
Nomad

I believe in GOD because He heal me from a disease that if i must take that by medical operations it will cost much.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

I believe in GOD because He heal me from a disease that if i must take that by medical operations it will cost much.

In other words going back to the list of reason why people believe in God that I posted only a few posts up.

"They have some sort of subjective experience which they can't explain so they attribute it to God."
StDrake
StDrake
194 posts
Lord

I'm not an atheist, but also not a very religious person - and please differ religion from faith. Having said that I think I could reason with most of what is said against the idea of a deity existing.

for starters:
>'m atheist and i don't get why people would beleive in god...

Aside for getting told to do that - it's a psychological matter. Humanity has been looking for a meaning of life for millenia at least and it all coalesced into an idea of God (or Allah, or the Great Pumpkin or whatever you call it). Basically it gives us hope that we're not just alive to reproduce and die, that we're more than just machines/animals with weird habits. For many it's a good reason to keep living, to let others live and restrain from making their lives a living hell. Of course again - especially for the last thing we need to tell apart faith from religion. Many people will just want good for their own butts using anything to get it. If they lay their hands on religion it will have nothing to do with the original foundations of the faith on which it grew.
Plus it gives someone to "talk" to when noone else is around.

> with the logic of the bible there are no dinosaurs because there's >no evolution [there i fixed it for ya -St]...

Aparently you either come from a country that had no problems with occupants and true censorship or you didn't pay attention at art classes. The logic of the Bible is much deeper than it's direct words. Most of it is written with an ammount of symbollism that will make your head pop and if you read it straight - you won't get much logic at all. In the case of dinosaurs and evolution the only thing that could speak against them is the book of Genesis..which was discovered to be a prayer designed to maintain faith in times of babylonian imprisonment. There's hardly any true history in the Bible. You'd be better off not looking for it if you don't want to spend your whole life on that.

>just cause one person died why does evry one get a get out of jail >free card

Actually it's more of a "you can now get out of jail at all - you still need to earn that", but I admit it's not so obvious without proper translation.

>and then theres the fact that only beleives get into to heaven what >kind of twisted person comes up with that

Probably a priest. Those guys can be pretty creepy if their faith is not pure enough. Telling people what to do and scaring what happens if they don't..that's religion for ya. What did I say about religion and faith? Well I'll tell you this - heaven will be what each of us will make it. You don't believe in God? Well tough luck - he believes in you. Don't go murdering people on the streets and you might one "day" (note the "&quot find yourself with Him saying "Surprise I'm real! Hey you've been a good lad/lass, come have a drink with us here in heaven"
>lets not forget zombie jesus i mean what is he giving up if he pops >back up 3 days later...

With the whole magic creepyness about the number 3 I'd be inclined to disbelieve if it was really 3 days. Then again - rising from the dead is quite a violation of the natural cycle, if not for the main person then a solid shock for any witnesses. Must've been something about psychological effects if you ask me, not delayed by any own reasons, but rather waiting for the right conditions.

MagicTree
MagicTree
749 posts
Nomad

I'm atheist and i don't get why people would beleive in god.

I am Athiest too and people want to beleive in something, and some people might want to know they are in safe hands when they die. I don't have anything against religion.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Aside for getting told to do that

First reason I provided.
"It get's drilled into their head at an early age."

Humanity has been looking for a meaning of life for millenia at least and it all coalesced into an idea of God (or Allah, or the Great Pumpkin or whatever you call it). Basically it gives us hope that we're not just alive to reproduce and die, that we're more than just machines/animals with weird habits.

This could fall into the second reason I provided.
"They attribute some feeling to it being God."

Most of it is written with an ammount of symbollism that will make your head pop and if you read it straight - you won't get much logic at all.

Your not going to get much logic out of it either way.

In the case of dinosaurs and evolution the only thing that could speak against them is the book of Genesis..which was discovered to be a prayer designed to maintain faith in times of babylonian imprisonment.

We run into a problem here regarding Jesus as a real event while this is not since we are now regarding the event resulting in original sin to be nothing but metaphor. As we now have Jesus dying to cover this sin when it never actually happened. Further more since we are now regarding it as not a real even when for hundreds of years it was regarded as a real account this only serves to show just how problematic the Bible is when trying to determine reality from metaphor through faith alone.

Actually it's more of a "you can now get out of jail at all - you still need to earn that", but I admit it's not so obvious without proper translation.

This still doesn't make any sense as you could just as easily jump straight to the earn it part without the human sacrifice.

Probably a priest. Those guys can be pretty creepy if their faith is not pure enough.

Yeah they need to believe without evidence harder... What??

What did I say about religion and faith?

Yes I do recognize the difference between the two but I don't regard faith to be good either.

might one "day" (note the "&quot find yourself with Him saying "Surprise I'm real! Hey you've been a good lad/lass, come have a drink with us here in heaven"

Why doesn't he just come down and say "Surprise..." now? It would sure clear up a lot of things and don't give me that tire excuse of free will, it doesn't work.

rising from the dead is quite a violation of the natural cycle, if not for the main person then a solid shock for any witnesses. Must've been something about psychological effects if you ask me, not delayed by any own reasons, but rather waiting for the right conditions.

What is there for us to believe this was an actual event and not just another piece of fiction from a book clearly littered with fiction?
StDrake
StDrake
194 posts
Lord

This could fall into the second reason I provided.
"They attribute some feeling to it being God."

Backwards actually - they require some feeling, and the idea of a God makes for an excellent source.
You're not going to get much logic out of it either way

Can't tell if we don't try
We run into a problem here regarding Jesus as a real event while this is not since we are now regarding the event resulting in original sin to be nothing but metaphor. As we now have Jesus dying to cover this sin when it never actually happened.

The problem lies mainly in treating his sacrifice against that first sin. Looking at ancient history there were still quite enough other sins to go against. Saying it's all about the original sin was just easier for the people of that time to swallow - dealing with religion and all that (I'm afraid the language of the Bible is quite outdated by now). It was probably more of a means to show humanity "hey look guys, you've made life a contest of who hits each other harder, what do I have to do to make you see yourselves and consider an alternative?"
Further more since we are now regarding it as not a real even when for hundreds of years it was regarded as a real account this only serves to show just how problematic the Bible is when trying to determine reality from metaphor through faith alone.

True enough. That's what we have minds for though
This still doesn't make any sense as you could just as easily jump straight to the earn it part without the human sacrifice.

Simple put by the point of view from before the sacrifice - "Earn what?"
Showing 196-210 of 660