ForumsWEPRReasons to be an Atheist .

660 146839
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

Alright I have been researching theories talking with other Atheists and I have discovered some people who are Atheists but for the wrong reasons like...
1.Settling a score with God because they hate him for (whatever)reasons.
2.Just because.
Some good reasons...
1.There is no evidence.
2.A book written by primitive people is no proof for any God/Gods.
3.Nothing can be omniscient and omnipotent.
Any other reasons can be stated for I am interested in some of your reasons or reasons not to be.

• 660 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

The difference is that the rules arn't still the same. There are more, and different denominations. And they have changed over time.

maybe the morals have changed but god didn't change. he is still the same guy. and god found it oke then so he finds it oke if it haooends now.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Discrimination against homosexuals is still around but it's not like the crusades all over again. And we're not buring people on crosses anymore either. While there are still religious terrorists it's not as common or okay as before.

Is this because the religion is restraining itself or the society is restraining such acts?
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Society. Well I'd assume so. The christian reform took place because of the protestantreform so that the catholic church would stop losing it's followers.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Discrimination against homosexuals is still around but it's not like the crusades all over again.

I was referring to discrimination against the discrimination of the past. The part that was supposed to mirror the crusades was "Christians are still attacking things that go against their beliefs because their religious leaders tell them to", which links to a page about Christian terrorism with some examples. Go ahead and read it.

And we're not buring people on crosses anymore either.

When did you do that? Assuming this was like a coffin thing, I really don't care. I am a little upset by the thing I just mentioned, you know the blowing up thing.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Oh I read the link. I think the most recent one was the Oslo bombing? It's pretty small though compared to before. I didn't mean to write the burining cross thing though. I must have wrote what I was thinking about because in the link there was information about the KKK. Also I read over this one. It's good.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Oh I read the link. I think the most recent one was the Oslo bombing? It's pretty small though compared to before.

The original Crusades where stretched out after a long time. Given some time, the terrorist attacks could easily surpass the Crusades in number of deaths.

I didn't mean to write the burining cross thing though. I must have wrote what I was thinking about because in the link there was information about the KKK. Also I read over this one. It's good.

Ok....You do realize that they are still burning crosses, to my knowledge, correct?
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Yes. But now they're not allowed to put people on them.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Yes. But now they're not allowed to put people on them.

I suppose that is an improvement. Now you just have to get rid of the other forms of lynching that still happen...
Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

"Believers" of a religeon hate you.

I've come out as an atheist to anyone who's asked me about religion, I haven't gotten any rude remarks or I hate you's. All my friends know, hell, I'm going to be telling my mom soon enough.

But as far as atheists that I know personally, they seem to be the close-minded ones because they converted because of the gloriously weak reason of "RELIGION CUZEZ ANY AND ALL WAWRZ AND CATHOLIC PRIESTZ LIEK 2 **** LIL BOIS". And all the atheists that go to my school are d***holes. I might even be a d***hole and just don't know it, yet. I hope not, though.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

I've come out as an atheist to anyone who's asked me about religion, I haven't gotten any rude remarks or I hate you's. All my friends know, hell, I'm going to be telling my mom soon enough.

But as far as atheists that I know personally, they seem to be the close-minded ones because they converted because of the gloriously weak reason of "RELIGION CUZEZ ANY AND ALL WAWRZ AND CATHOLIC PRIESTZ LIEK 2 **** LIL BOIS". And all the atheists that go to my school are d***holes. I might even be a d***hole and just don't know it, yet. I hope not, though.

You are saying that they are all open and nice, while atheists are somehow close minded, but you haven't even told your own mother yet? Isn't that kind of going against your statement?
Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

but you haven't even told your own mother yet? Isn't that kind of going against your statement?

It can be pretty hard to tell your mom something like that when you still live with your mom and she starts going to church a lot more after your dad leaves unexpectedly...and go to my school and sit at my lunch table for a month or so and you'll see just how elitist the atheists at my god forsaken school can be.

But back to the mother thing, think of it as someone trying to come out of the closet (about being gay) to their mother. Some can do it without a problem, others..not so much. I doubt my mom will have a problem with me telling her about being atheist, but the possibility that there could be some problems is what's keeping me from telling her.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

you'll see just how elitist the atheists at my god forsaken school can be.

Those kinds of atheist disgust me. Does not having blind faith in a religion or a Supreme Being make you all the more better? No, stick to whatever ideals you have, keep your head down and don't be obnoxious in spreading. Best try and ignore those people.

But back to the mother thing, think of it as someone trying to come out of the closet (about being gay) to their mother. Some can do it without a problem, others..not so much. I doubt my mom will have a problem with me telling her about being atheist, but the possibility that there could be some problems is what's keeping me from telling her.

I told my superstitious and Buddhist mother, and she's all ''You choose when you're 18 not now''. So good luck to you I guess.
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

I told my superstitious and Buddhist mother, and she's all ''You choose when you're 18 not now''. So good luck to you I guess.

my parants both were christians (and still are) but they gave me a free choise, they explained to me that they wanted me to explore the world on my own. i'm just happy they didn't force believes on me when i was a kid so i was able to make my own conclusions.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Those might not even be 'true' atheists. Being against a religion as an institute doesn't necessarily mean they don't believe in it's god, be it consciously or not. You'd have to talk to them about their true feelings concerning any deity disregarding of any human institution, but I fear they won't play the game and much rather go on ranting. They just sound like immature people, those exist everywhere, sadly.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

I'm going to be telling my mom soon enough.

I can see how it could be hard to tell your mom. Just one idea you could start by asking her how she would be if someone like you or (insert some other person she is close to) were an atheist as a sort of hypothetical and see how she reacts.
Showing 166-180 of 660