ForumsWEPRReasons to be an Atheist .

660 146768
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

Alright I have been researching theories talking with other Atheists and I have discovered some people who are Atheists but for the wrong reasons like...
1.Settling a score with God because they hate him for (whatever)reasons.
2.Just because.
Some good reasons...
1.There is no evidence.
2.A book written by primitive people is no proof for any God/Gods.
3.Nothing can be omniscient and omnipotent.
Any other reasons can be stated for I am interested in some of your reasons or reasons not to be.

• 660 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

The last chart on the page shows the birth rate (no conversions), and my point being that Islam may eventually exceed Christianity.

i c, well if the chart is right and keeps going like this then in a few year the birth rates of both will be about the same.

as the site is saying by 2050 it will still be the same. and as we are speaking about it now (who is the biggest now?) i think it's irrelevant keep in mind who might be the biggest in 50 year.
(baha'i or something will almost die out in 50 year thats more something to think about for me (but not relevaant to this subject))
Bon243
Bon243
96 posts
Nomad

i was born athiest
so i am athiest
theres my reason

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

i was born athiest

Technically everyone is seeing as how a baby can't really believe anything, it's just a matter of which religion, if any, they are brought up being taught.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Technically everyone is seeing as how a baby can't really believe anything,

Arn't most Jews born Jewish? So does that make them Jewish Atheist?

Another reason to be athiest is that you don't have to worry about going to church class. *shudders* church class.
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

Another reason to be athiest is that you don't have to worry about going to church class. *shudders* church class.

but you have to worry about nut-jobs who try to convert you during summer camp
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Arn't most Jews born Jewish? So does that make them Jewish Atheist?

It's supposed to be 8 days before the bris and the child becomes Jewish, but the infant doesn't believe in Judaism or anything until it has developed intelligent thought.
deadhead50
deadhead50
341 posts
Nomad

Okay, I'm not 100% atheist but I don't believe in most of the things that get passed today.

Okay if people worship the bible and think God (Spelling based on the religion of my family) but overall think about how much thats been changed throughout history. Its like the game telephone, the message is 100% different from when it started. I cannot believe in something that has no proof.

Yet i cannot prove there is no god, Overall I prefer to say there is a god, but he/she is not what their believed to be today. In conclusion i have been called an 'Atheist' before because of my standpoint and thats why I decided to place it in this thread.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

I don't think the risk part applies. It's not like people often commit suicide because they feel safe dieing.

It does apply, it doesn't have to be a physical threat (thought there are many cases where people do take such risks) It talks of how people are more willing to do things they would otherwise not do.

Very true. But I don't really think that has much to do with religion.

While it may not always be exclusive to religion it is a very common theme in religion.

But sometimes life requires risk-taking.

never said it didn't, however there is a difference between taking a risk and taking an informed risk. Someone might not be willing to take that risk if the didn't first believe that "safety net" was there. Instead we have someone taking a risk based on what could be a deception.

I never said it was negative.

You asked what happened to ignorance being bliss and to let them be happy. This implies having knowledge in this case is negative.

Arn't most Jews born Jewish?

Your confusing race and religion here.

Okay, I'm not 100% atheist but I don't believe in most of the things that get passed today.

You either believe a god/s exist or you don't there really isn't a percentage of atheism. Now you can be unsure (agnostic) and go back and forth between thinking there is and there is not. The days you believe there is would be days you are theist while the days you believe there is not would be days you are atheist.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Your confusing race and religion here.

Right, they're both. Are there any other religions that are also races?

You asked what happened to ignorance being bliss and to let them be happy. This implies having knowledge in this case is negative.

I don't see how saying ignorance is bliss implies that knowledge is negative. Just because not having knowledge makes you happy doesn't mean having it will make you unhappy.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

I don't see how saying ignorance is bliss implies that knowledge is negative. Just because not having knowledge makes you happy doesn't mean having it will make you unhappy.

If gaining knowledge does not affect ones happiness then why keep ignorance at all? The implication is that the happiness comes from this ignorance. The gaining of knowledge eliminates this ignorance and thus would by this reasoning eliminate the happiness that goes with it. Given our desire to seek happiness this indicates knowledge as a negative trait as it eliminates happiness.
Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,370 posts
Nomad

Any holy book is basically a rule book and a way of people controlling people eg. the ten commandments basically say you have to live by the rules or get sent to hell.

its just a way of people controlling people

dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

If gaining knowledge does not affect ones happiness then why keep ignorance at all? The implication is that the happiness comes from this ignorance. The gaining of knowledge eliminates this ignorance and thus would by this reasoning eliminate the happiness that goes with it. Given our desire to seek happiness this indicates knowledge as a negative trait as it eliminates happiness.

But what if knowledge also brings happiness.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

But what if knowledge also brings happiness.

Then there's nothing left of value in the saying 'ignorance is bliss'
Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

Any holy book is basically a rule book and a way of people controlling people eg. the ten commandments basically say you have to live by the rules or get sent to hell.

its just a way of people controlling people

I disagree, at least when it comes to Christianity.

Some Christians read the Bible, some don't. Reading a book doesn't determine your fate, according to the newer generations of Christians. I've even heard about Buddhist-Christians. I'm not entirely sure how to explain it, but it doesn't revolve around a book or a building.

The Ten Commandments go back to the moral thing I've been stating pretty much since I've been posting in this thread. It doesn't specifically say "Do this, or you'll burn", they're more of guidelines to try to make the followers better people.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

they're more of guidelines to try to make the followers better people.

Yeah and how do things like not making idols or only worshiping Yahweh make someone a better person?
Showing 226-240 of 660