ForumsWEPRReasons to be an Atheist .

660 146770
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

Alright I have been researching theories talking with other Atheists and I have discovered some people who are Atheists but for the wrong reasons like...
1.Settling a score with God because they hate him for (whatever)reasons.
2.Just because.
Some good reasons...
1.There is no evidence.
2.A book written by primitive people is no proof for any God/Gods.
3.Nothing can be omniscient and omnipotent.
Any other reasons can be stated for I am interested in some of your reasons or reasons not to be.

• 660 Replies
hojoko
hojoko
508 posts
Peasant

Yeah and how do things like not making idols or only worshiping Yahweh make someone a better person?

It seems to serve as a very strong unifier, which can be incredibly helpful in terms of advancing society or a group of people or whatever it is you're trying to advance. When people share core values, they work together towards common goals very well.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

It seems to serve as a very strong unifier, which can be incredibly helpful in terms of advancing society or a group of people or whatever it is you're trying to advance. When people share core values, they work together towards common goals very well.

So they had to include a bunch of nonsense to get people to work together? The other commandments (if they weren't commanding but just guiding why not just call them suggestions. it would work better for the free will bs God supposedly supports.) that actually cover doing decent things in a social structure wasn't enough to unify people?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Sorry for the double.

This thing that is suppose to unify people sure does seem to have a diversifying effect on people. (34,000 some odd versions of Christianity)

dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

So they had to include a bunch of nonsense to get people to work together?

It's not nonsense to them. Before science was so big this was all they had to understand the world.

The other commandments (if they weren't commanding but just guiding why not just call them suggestions.

I personally think I would follow commandments more then suggestions. If you just suggest something I don't feel obligated to do it. And if I could do something else, I'd do that instead.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

It's not nonsense to them. Before science was so big this was all they had to understand the world.

Those first few don't have anything to do with understanding the world, it's all about God's ego.

I personally think I would follow commandments more then suggestions. If you just suggest something I don't feel obligated to do it. And if I could do something else, I'd do that instead.

Even if you thought they were coming from a God? If I thought I was getting some helpful advise or requests from such a source, I would listen.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Even if you thought they were coming from a God? If I thought I was getting some helpful advise or requests from such a source, I would listen.

What if you didn't belive in God? Would you still follow the 10 suggestions?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

What if you didn't belive in God? Would you still follow the 10 suggestions?

Some of them yes, though it would still be circumstantial. Some of them are beneficial to a society and we can come to such conclusions without a deity telling us these are the things to do. It's very like most theists do come to such conclusions then just attribute having that moral to the religious text.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Some of them yes, though it would still be circumstantial. Some of them are beneficial to a society and we can come to such conclusions without a deity telling us these are the things to do. It's very like most theists do come to such conclusions then just attribute having that moral to the religious text.

That's kindof my point. If these were just suggestions that people did anyways it would't really make God seem powerful or encourage people to join. But when you say it like this...

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS!

Then it sounds pretty powewrful and awesome. Something you just shout out.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

That's kindof my point. If these were just suggestions that people did anyways it would't really make God seem powerful or encourage people to join. But when you say it like this...

A supposed omnipotent being needs wordplay to seem powerful?
Joe96
Joe96
2,227 posts
Peasant

7) It just breeds violence and hatred.

Religion breeds violence and hatred...proof?
And by proof, don't say "the crusades", because God never came down from the heavens and told the Church to attack the Middle East. God never told suicide bombers to blow themselves up. God never told the Church to abandon science. Point is, stupid people used religion for their own benefit and do bad things saying that "God told me to do it", playing the blame game to get out of trouble.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

A supposed omnipotent being needs wordplay to seem powerful?

What? No. If you're going to describe god it would be in a powerful way. If you beloved he's powerful then that's how you describe him. Not doing that would be like describing the energy our sun produces without using big or massive or something similar.
ldslarson
ldslarson
59 posts
Nomad

No offense to anyone but I think that what your saying is the biggest bunch of lies ever my gamer name is ldslarson the reason being is I belong to The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints (also known as Mormons or LDS.) I bear my testimony that I know that there is a living God, that Jesus came to earth and died on the cross to redeem us for our sins that he raised from the grave and that when we die that we will be reunited with our family that has passed before us and we will be with our Heavenly Father (God).

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

What? No. If you're going to describe god it would be in a powerful way. If you beloved he's powerful then that's how you describe him. Not doing that would be like describing the energy our sun produces without using big or massive or something similar.

So when we describe God we have to use word play to make him seem powerful? I would think the whole creator of everything would cover that.

No offense to anyone but I think that what your saying is the biggest bunch of lies ever

All you got to do to show we are wrong is provide objective verifiable evidence.

I bear my testimony that I know that there is a living God, that Jesus came to earth and died on the cross to redeem us for our sins that he raised from the grave and that when we die that we will be reunited with our family that has passed before us and we will be with our Heavenly Father (God).

So long as you are saying this based on faith it's not knowledge so you don't actually know this, it's just something you believe strongly.
ldslarson
ldslarson
59 posts
Nomad

By the way I do not refer to Heavenly Father as God I refer to him as Heavenly Father.

Mage Grey Wolf. Sit quietly in your room and pray and ask him if he is real and if you do it with an sincere heart, open mind, and real intent I can almost promise you that you will get an answer to your prayer

ldslarson
ldslarson
59 posts
Nomad

but you will not get the answer right away you will have to pray about it for awhile sometimes days sometimes weeks.

There is a living God.

Believe in evolution and all that stuff but in the end there is a living God and There is a living Christ our lord and savior.

Showing 241-255 of 660