ForumsWEPRReasons to be an Atheist .

660 146879
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

Alright I have been researching theories talking with other Atheists and I have discovered some people who are Atheists but for the wrong reasons like...
1.Settling a score with God because they hate him for (whatever)reasons.
2.Just because.
Some good reasons...
1.There is no evidence.
2.A book written by primitive people is no proof for any God/Gods.
3.Nothing can be omniscient and omnipotent.
Any other reasons can be stated for I am interested in some of your reasons or reasons not to be.

• 660 Replies
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

The Ten Commandments are kind of like that. They are the basis of our moral system. We wouldn't be twisting the commandments to fit our morals, because that's where our morals come from.

No it's not where our morals come from. As has been pointed out many of the one's that are similar to what we follow match what had already been thought up time and time again.
PanzerTank
PanzerTank
1,707 posts
Nomad

7) It just breeds violence and hatred.

I disagree this hatred and violence would still be here with some other petty excuse.

I find it hard to believe in the Christian God because if he's all knowing and all powerful wouldn't he have created sin and evil? He did create everything right? Another thing is if he's all knowing when he made Eve was that he would've known what she was going to do when he made her, so really he forced her to take that apple, having created her, her thoughts, brain, morals etc...

Another thing is that if this God is all knowing and all powerful how could he have made a mistake? Like flooding the planet?

Lastly and most importantly how could he create people disabled, crippled and blind etc... Why would he allow people to be like this.

P.S. If I had the power to heal everything, fix the evil of the world, heal the planet, make everyone good and then choose not to do it I would be called an evil, horrible tyrant. Then if I chose to send people to hell for not thinking I'm an all knowing, all forgiving and all loving God for an eternity of unimaginable pain (can you imagine an eternity that would be millions upon millions of trillions of years) for being bad for a petty 70 years MAYBE if you're lucky you'll have lived that long. Yet Christians think that this God is a great God

If he is real he thoroughly disgusts me to my gut for him ignoring us and letting people die and tyrants live.
hojoko
hojoko
508 posts
Peasant

No it's not where our morals come from. As has been pointed out many of the one's that are similar to what we follow match what had already been thought up time and time again.

As it has also been pointed out by many an atheist, we live in a Christian society. A Christian society which is a descendant of a Christian society, which is part of a Christian continent. What we perceive as right and wrong is taught to us, and those teachings come from the old testament (or variations of those). Some of them show up in other places, but generally not all of them.

You could look at certain South American societies, which practiced ritualized sacrifice on massive scales, or ancient Greece, where war was not only seen as a positive thing, but as a right of passage, where worth was based on abilities as soldiers, and the slaughter of enemy soldiers, who shared the same religious and moral beliefs. Many leaders in Athens were only allowed to be in politics because they had served well in war, which shows a much different value system, and a strongly suggests a different set of moral beliefs. In Sparta of course, it wasn't illegal to steal, it was illegal to get caught stealing.

Yes, these ideas come up in other places, but as a set of moral beliefs, no system influences ours as much as the ten commandments, because what defined morality in European (and by extent, American) history, especially post-Rome, was the Bible and the Ten Commandments.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

As it has also been pointed out by many an atheist, we live in a Christian society. A Christian society which is a descendant of a Christian society, which is part of a Christian continent. What we perceive as right and wrong is taught to us, and those teachings come from the old testament (or variations of those). Some of them show up in other places, but generally not all of them.

about 70% of the people in the US are Christian. The founding fathers where this society started from were largely deist. Even out of these who are Christian I still maintain they are largely not getting these morals from the Bible but instead finding things they agree with in the Bible and then giving credit to the text as the source of that moral.
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

This is really ignorant. Almost all of the elements of the holiday remained all the Christians did was change the name and tack on the birthday story. Later on it became more commercialized turning it into what we have today. This was done to draw in more converts by assimilating other cultural practices, something the church did quite frequently. In fact it wasn't even accepted by the church until about 100 years ago (give or take). Christmas isn't the only holiday originating in this fashion either. Easter and Halloween were co-opted in this fashion as well.

It is all good and well that you are stating what actualy happened, but just to make shure, could you link any peice of information that can concude this?
P.S. If I had the power to heal everything, fix the evil of the world, heal the planet, make everyone good and then choose not to do it I would be called an evil, horrible tyrant.

I would just consider you lazy actualy, you're not evil if you are dorment.
Yes, these ideas come up in other places, but as a set of moral beliefs, no system influences ours as much as the ten commandments, because what defined morality in European (and by extent, American) history, especially post-Rome, was the Bible and the Ten Commandments.

I personaly consider what we live by is common sence, not the 10 commandments, like not commiting adultury is a nice guesture towards the community and keeps you alive, so it's common sence that you wouldn't do it. Or being nice to your neighboor (actualy it says love thy neighboor, but I thought that sounds a bit too heavy), I think eventualy you would relize that being nice to your neighboor pays off since they will look out for you.
hojoko
hojoko
508 posts
Peasant

about 70% of the people in the US are Christian. The founding fathers where this society started from were largely deist. Even out of these who are Christian I still maintain they are largely not getting these morals from the Bible but instead finding things they agree with in the Bible and then giving credit to the text as the source of that moral.

Wait, so they find these things they agree with in the Bible, and give credit to those things as the source of the moral, but they aren't getting it from the bible?

Was there a typo in there, or am I missing something?

I personaly consider what we live by is common sence, not the 10 commandments, like not commiting adultury is a nice guesture towards the community and keeps you alive, so it's common sence that you wouldn't do it. Or being nice to your neighboor (actualy it says love thy neighboor, but I thought that sounds a bit too heavy), I think eventualy you would relize that being nice to your neighboor pays off since they will look out for you.

But what's common sense for us in terms of morality seems to derive from those earlier concepts of morality in Abrahamic religions, and have been passed down through generations, and taught as the 'right' thing. If our parents and their parents and their parents and so on regularly sacrificed people from other conquered cultures, I doubt that would be seen (by us at least) as immoral.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Wait, so they find these things they agree with in the Bible, and give credit to those things as the source of the moral, but they aren't getting it from the bible?
Was there a typo in there, or am I missing something

What he's saying is, these people have their own morals that they think are right, and see that these morals are also in the Bible. Thus they attribute their morals to the bible.

Think of it this way...someone who has never seen the bible or heard of the 10 commandments would have a very good chance of growing up to believe that hurting others, killing, and taking others things is not a nice thing to do. They didn't get their morals from the bible, they got them from the society which they grew up in and their life experiences.
Unkown
Unkown
958 posts
Nomad

I believe being aneithiest is the best, because no one has any high expectations of you, and no religious duties to get in the way of your normal life.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

I believe being aneithiest is the best,

aneithiest?

An Atheist? Or is that just some word i've never seen/heard of before?

Also...there's not really a "best" about it. Theist/Atheist simply means whether or not you believe in a deity or god of some kind.

because no one has any high expectations of you,

That's not true.

no religious duties to get in the way of your normal life.

Also not true necessarily. You can be religious and still be an Atheist. Atheist /= no religion.
DrCool1
DrCool1
210 posts
Bard

There is a much high chance that an atheist girl will be drunk at a bar and come back to your place than a religious girl, and believe me I know haha

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

There is a much high chance that an atheist girl will be drunk at a bar and come back to your place than a religious girl, and believe me I know haha

I doubt that has much to do with it unless their religion specifically forbades alcohol.
DrCool1
DrCool1
210 posts
Bard

I doubt that has much to do with it unless their religion specifically forbades alcohol.

Its not the drinking part thats makes them different, its the willing to go back to my place part
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Its not the drinking part thats makes them different, its the willing to go back to my place part

Ah. I read it as you were saying atheists are just more likely to be drunker than a skunk.
DrCool1
DrCool1
210 posts
Bard

Well I dont know about all atheist girls out there but the non religious girls I have met like to party a lot harder than the religious ones. they get wasted on a staurday night and dont have to worry about church in the morning.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

But what's common sense for us in terms of morality seems to derive from those earlier concepts of morality in Abrahamic religions, and have been passed down through generations, and taught as the 'right' thing. If our parents and their parents and their parents and so on regularly sacrificed people from other conquered cultures, I doubt that would be seen (by us at least) as immoral.

We had such basic morals even before the Abrahamic religions existed. There are also plenty of things in the Bible that we would and do find immoral. Since it covers the entire spectrum of morality it's a guide to non.

I don't know about that, I've heard stories about those sexually repressed Catholic schoolgirls. ;P
Showing 316-330 of 660