ForumsWEPRReasons to be an Atheist .

660 146880
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

Alright I have been researching theories talking with other Atheists and I have discovered some people who are Atheists but for the wrong reasons like...
1.Settling a score with God because they hate him for (whatever)reasons.
2.Just because.
Some good reasons...
1.There is no evidence.
2.A book written by primitive people is no proof for any God/Gods.
3.Nothing can be omniscient and omnipotent.
Any other reasons can be stated for I am interested in some of your reasons or reasons not to be.

• 660 Replies
DrCool1
DrCool1
210 posts
Bard

I don't know about that, I've heard stories about those sexually repressed Catholic schoolgirls. ;P

O I know those ones are out there as well
deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

I don't know about that, I've heard stories about those sexually repressed Catholic schoolgirls. ;P

Just so you know there are diffrent types of christianity, the catholics beleive that if you do more good than bad then you will go to heaven. This is why I see cathlics do bad first then once they are ready to die they do a bunch of good things. Now I know this would not make any sense to some of you... I cant make sense of this.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Just so you know there are diffrent types of christianity, the catholics beleive that if you do more good than bad then you will go to heaven. This is why I see cathlics do bad first then once they are ready to die they do a bunch of good things. Now I know this would not make any sense to some of you... I cant make sense of this.

I'm quite familiar with Catholic views and not all Catholics see it that way.
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

Now I know this would not make any sense to some of you... I cant make sense of this.

I don't see how you can't make sence of this, the reason why they do it is they feel like they wanna live in the beginning, then when it gets closer to your time of death, you start freaking out about hell.
cbreezy623
cbreezy623
59 posts
Nomad

Believing in god is like believing in Santa.

The only reason religion came about was to explain the unexplainable. Religions were created by people who were ahead of their time. Basically smart people who got bored and wanted to trick the stupid people. The only reason people still believe in god(s) is because their parents and their parents parents and their parents parents parents etc. believed and if their children didn't believe in the same things they did they would beat them. Plus no one had the tech to disprove religion. Now if you hit your kids they can get arrested and we now have the technology. The more I learn about religion the more crazy the theory seems. And the more science I learn that makes religion seem even crazier. Basically anyone under 30 that has common sense is an atheist.

Highfire
Highfire
3,025 posts
Nomad

There is a much high chance that an atheist girl will be drunk at a bar and come back to your place than a religious girl, and believe me I know haha

... Whilst I doubt the validity of this point, I'll play along and say that the reasons for saying no as a religious girl would not be the correct ones most likely. If they were right, a non-theist is equally or more likely to think of it with their own state of mind or generally more logical mindset.

Its not the drinking part thats makes them different, its the willing to go back to my place part

I thought theistic people were generally considered insane?
/kidding

Well I dont know about all atheist girls out there but the non religious girls I have met like to party a lot harder than the religious ones. they get wasted on a staurday night and dont have to worry about church in the morning.

If they were occupied by any activity - Church, Ballet, singing, girls Football team, visiting family, etc, they would sustain the same behaviour - hence why Church was mentioned with them.

Believing in god is like believing in Santa.

Except the present is also a lie.

Well, probably.

The only reason religion came about was to explain the unexplainable.

Which in itself is natural.
No, I am not saying that makes it justified.

Religions were created by people who were ahead of their time.

I would think it's quite the contrary - people willing to find out what on the flat earth was going on already had a better mindset than those who blamed the sun for any physically difficult to observe events.

Basically smart people who got bored and wanted to trick the stupid people.

Where do you base this from? Unless they were great pranksters who got a little too large I don't think that is the actual reason.

The only reason people still believe in god(s) is because their parents and their parents parents and their parents parents parents etc. believed and if their children didn't believe in the same things they did they would beat them.

Indoctrination - we're aware of that. But it wasn't that alone as I wouldn't underestimate human cowardice, entitlement or selfishness as we've seen those aspects of people shown in Religion.
Selfishness through the Hundred Years' War - a war based on Hierarchy which was closely related to Religion.

Entitlement would be the Crusades. A religiously sanctioned military forwarding that had only political motivations - the higher-ups essentially used religion as a tool for manpower.

Basically anyone under 30 that has common sense is an atheist.

Common sense would tell you that trying to classify people under such loose conditions is:
1) A poor way of convincing people and
2) A pathetic stab at those who deny what you say.

It should also be noted that you are judging those below the age of 8 as a result... indoctrination is a powerful tool and whilst I believe that everyone has enough extent of individuality that they can break from "their" religion in pretty much any circumstance I am barely surprised that many people do not.

But that doesn't mean they lack common sense. Some things are more powerful than that to some people.
I don't exactly understand how that is worked out in their heads, but that's why I go against Religion, now isn't it? ^^

- H
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

But that doesn't mean they lack common sense. Some things are more powerful than that to some people.
I don't exactly understand how that is worked out in their heads, but that's why I go against Religion, now isn't it? ^^

I used to use religion as something you can consider as an adult safety blanket. I used to believe in god because I wanted a higer justice to get those who did wrong or an alternative to no longer existing. I use god as something to make me feel safe like "no one will hurt me since god will protect me". But then I grew out of needing that saftey blanket and threw it away, right when I did though I wondered why everybody else did the same and that only a few of them did. I actualy have a friend who used to be atheist until he reached highschool and went to christianity, that puzzeled me even more, since my need for religion was already furfilled and here is someone who hadn't needed some sort of safety for his whole life (this happened very recently) and now he picked up that blanket.

So I guess that there is many reasons to believe in religion and I only found one.
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

Sounds like people were bullying him because he wasn't Christian. Luckily 60% of my high school is Atheist XD. Yet there is still a teacher scared of teaching evolution.

babiker
babiker
46 posts
Nomad

hey if there was no god, there would be no us

1.the world cant make itself anymore than a sword or shield can

2.study islam man seriusly

3.having a releigion is the only way u can explain stuff like death and y the sun comes up from the east

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Watch maker fallacy. A sword or shield are not the same as abiogenesis or planetary formation.

study islam man seriusly

I'll admit Islam is not my forte, but I do know enough about it to know that it's just more violent in it's teaching than Christianity and more strictly followed on average.

3.having a releigion is the only way u can explain stuff like death and y the sun comes up from the east

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Do you seriously not know why the sun rises in the East and sets in the West? You can perfectly explain death without religion.
Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

What is this, I dont even...
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

The world didn't 'make itself'. Also, a sword or a shield serve and where made for a purpose, which is not the case for the world. The world is. Period.

2.study islam man seriusly

Surely would be interesting, but I doubt that it will bring any mroe serious answers than any other religion. Seriously, something that relies on blind faith can't satisfy me.

It can help a lot to explain death in a way we can cope with it. But in the end, those are all white lies, air castles, wishful thinking. There are explanations about the things you mentioned that don't have to refer to any religion at all, explanations about how it really is.
BritHennerz
BritHennerz
408 posts
Farmer

I'll admit Islam is not my forte, but I do know enough about it to know that it's just more violent in it's teaching than Christianity and more strictly followed on average.

Many Muslims would say that a true Muslim isn't violent.
Source: Usman (one of my friends)
I study religion at school beyond what everyone else does.

The main reason that I am atheist is that:
I have never found something religion says that can't be disproven or challenged.
Most holy books contradict themselves all the time.
There is no logic in that the world was created by some guy in a white beard.
Many Christians say that their faith is proof that God exists. (WTF?)

On the other hand:
How come many people in the world are religious?
How come many religious stories are similar?
How do you explain near death experience?

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Many Muslims would say that a true Muslim isn't violent.

Yes, I've heard this too. I however am just going by amount of violence in the Koran vs the Bible and punishments for when someone badmouths one religion or tries to leave it.

Many Christians say that their faith is proof that God exists. (WTF?)

Well, based on the way most Christians argue, they do not know what proof or evidence are.

How come many people in the world are religious?

Threat of eternal punishment for some of the major religions.

Passed down by having it beat into the head of the child. Aka brainwashing.

How come many religious stories are similar?

Word of mouth travelling, common sources for religions, stories of natural disasters.

Just google that one, there's way too much for that for me just to casually reference.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Every second of your life is a near death experience, some are just perceived as more extreme than others.
Showing 331-345 of 660