ForumsWEPRReasons to be an Atheist .

660 146888
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

Alright I have been researching theories talking with other Atheists and I have discovered some people who are Atheists but for the wrong reasons like...
1.Settling a score with God because they hate him for (whatever)reasons.
2.Just because.
Some good reasons...
1.There is no evidence.
2.A book written by primitive people is no proof for any God/Gods.
3.Nothing can be omniscient and omnipotent.
Any other reasons can be stated for I am interested in some of your reasons or reasons not to be.

• 660 Replies
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Im not sure I get your meaning.

We know the brain stops functioning and the body breaks down into it's base components after we die. Any emergent properties cease to exist since the component that created those properties have change states.
This can be applied to a drawing on a piece of paper. Once it's ripped up and destroyed the components that worked together to make a picture on the paper no longer work in that way.

Saying we don't know what happens after we die inserts a claim of a dualistic nature. A claim that is not only unsupported but one that has been inconsistent with observations. Only until such a dualistic nature is show to exist then we can say we don't know what happens, for then we will know there is something to have happen too in the first place. But before that it's only wishful thinking.
Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

I don't strive to be a person person out of fear

I meant to say better person, there was a lot of backspacing and retyping some of my argument. This sentence being one of those.

But some people only comply because of fear.
There are two kinds of religious people
a) Who follow it for heaven.
b) Who follow it for fear of hell.

...There's a lot more than just those two types. Some follow it to be affiliated with something that's tolerable and not a gang. Others follow it for a sense of security that a god or gods will protect them during their. There's countless reasons why a person would follow a religion.

I'm broke.
I have a total opportunity of stealing alot of money and there is guarantee that no one will come after me.
If I dont believe in after life, I probably will steal.
If I do, then I wont steal.

I've had endless opportunities to steal many things from people. The most I've stolen from anyone is a pencil, and then I gave it back because I took it as a joke. If you think about things more from a moral point of view, you'll realize that who you're stealing from values that item in some way. Like stealing an iPod from someone; they bought the item because they value music. And besides, if you're broke, there's many things for a person to do about it that doesn't require stealing. There's usually the right way to go about doing something.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

...There's a lot more than just those two types. Some follow it to be affiliated with something that's tolerable and not a gang. Others follow it for a sense of security that a god or gods will protect them during their. There's countless reasons why a person would follow a religion.

I agree, that was a huge generalization. I'm religious and I'm not in it because I belive it will reward me with heaven, or because I believe I will go to hell if I don't.
AnaLoGMunKy
AnaLoGMunKy
1,573 posts
Blacksmith

This can be applied to a drawing on a piece of paper. Once it's ripped up and destroyed the components that worked together to make a picture on the paper no longer work in that way.

Im not sure on the analogy. Paper can be examined completely down to the atom. We can see the atoms that make up the fibers of paper and splodges of ink.

I know brain activity stops and our body returns to the earth in a way that we can literally calculate.

If, however, it can be shown what memories are, how they are stored and show the ability (given the tech) to recreate or move/remove them... it would add weight to the current evidence.

There is a great unknown, so I am still waiting for these answers.
I am not doing this on faith. It doesnt bother me that we might truly just stop, as I return to the earth and made anew as parts of a bungalow doorstep or a gnats eye.

Im not going to lose sleep over it, unlike those that truly believe in god who, as you know, believe in this deity regardless of all evidence that actually does a good job of disproving any god of manmade type.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Im not sure on the analogy. Paper can be examined completely down to the atom. We can see the atoms that make up the fibers of paper and splodges of ink.

We can do that with the brain as well. What we have trouble with is how the "fibers" and "ink splodges" interact to create the picture int he first place.

If, however, it can be shown what memories are, how they are stored and show the ability (given the tech) to recreate or move/remove them... it would add weight to the current evidence.

Memories are the result of electrochemical interactions and neural connections. We do have enough knowledge of what's going on to say these functions stop after death, even if we don't have a full understanding of the way they interact.
Swimmingwiththefins
Swimmingwiththefins
2 posts
Nomad

There is no reason to be an atheist i know gods real...if your going to die one day you might as well beleive in someehting heaven is described so well. better than being non existent

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

There is no reason to be an atheist i know gods real...if your going to die one day you might as well beleive in someehting heaven is described so well. better than being non existent

That's called Pascal's Wager, to believe in God in case he exists. That's insincere. It is absurd to think that God if he exists, being just and omniscient, would not be able to see through this deceptive strategy on behalf of the "believer", nullifying the benefits of the wager. Furthermore, just because something is described well does not mean it exists. An eloquent writer can easily spin a tale, but that doesn't mean it exists. For example, Star Wars. Thousands of books have been written about it, yet we all know that it's fictional.
illand
illand
9 posts
Treasurer

Comparing God to Star Wars ? Hell Naw ! > At least in Star Wars there's some happy end, in the religious books it ends up with the apocalyps.

More seriously, I don't think it's important to know if god exists or not, I mean, what's the matter ? If he does exists, he'll probably judge you on your acts and soul, not on the base of your daily ratio of prayers or religion. And if he does not exist ? Do you really need to ask that ?

Knowing that, either you'll be judged on your soul, either you WON'T be judged, then wondering if God exists is uninteresting, the only thing that matters is to do all you can to improve yourself and the world around you, not because it is an order from God, but because it is a moral duty.

And there, moral doesn't take it's base in a superior cosmic order, but on a very scientific base : We are all brothers and sisters under the same sky, with exactly the same ancestors in africa, we are a (very) big family, and as such, we must help each other.

You may think that what I say makes no sens, then it means I explained it very poorly.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

More seriously, I don't think it's important to know if god exists or not, I mean, what's the matter ? If he does exists, he'll probably judge you on your acts and soul, not on the base of your daily ratio of prayers or religion. And if he does not exist ? Do you really need to ask that ?

It IS extremely important to know whether he exists or not and to teach people to think for themselves instead of just following say a pastor. It affects the daily lives of many directly, for example the Polio vacine was denied to people by Muslim clerics, and condoms are frowned upon because apparently it goes against what God wants. By educating people on whether he exists or not, and letting them have a wider education on god, and religion, rather than just thinking he exists based on the word of the local religious authorities, people are better able to make their own decisions and not be bound by conservative notions.

he'll probably judge you on your acts and soul, not on the base of your daily ratio of prayers or religion. And if he does not exist ? Do you really need to ask that ?

And no, for example, Muslims are judged whether they pray or not. Muslims clerics have often released statements that emphasize that, one example being that of Abu Umanah who stated ''Allah does not Listen to anything from His servant as He does to the two rakahs (of prayer) that he offers. Mercy descends over the servant's head as long as he remains in prayer.''
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

There is no reason to be an atheist i know gods real...

How do you know this?

if your going to die one day you might as well beleive in someehting heaven is described so well.

Care to describe it then?
stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

How do you know this?
I think he looked at the photo of Jesus on bread.
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

I think he looked at the photo of Jesus on bread.

Strangely I have that in my kitchen... Jesus bread (or more accurately, Jesus toast)

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq23/dewi1066/jesustoast.jpg
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I call bull on that. Looks more like a cross between Che Guevara and Jack Sparrow.

Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

Want a closer look? It's on top of my cupboards in a wooden case with a glass front on it... more than happy to get you a close up of it. It has magnificent detail.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Oh yeah sure, would love a closer look. A little peckish now too. Might be tempted to eat it though.

It kind of amazes me though when people claim they see Jesus everywhere. How would they even know that the bearded smiling man they see is Jesus? The only ''images'' of him are man made paintings long after he died.

Showing 466-480 of 660