ForumsWEPRReasons to be an Atheist .

660 146887
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

Alright I have been researching theories talking with other Atheists and I have discovered some people who are Atheists but for the wrong reasons like...
1.Settling a score with God because they hate him for (whatever)reasons.
2.Just because.
Some good reasons...
1.There is no evidence.
2.A book written by primitive people is no proof for any God/Gods.
3.Nothing can be omniscient and omnipotent.
Any other reasons can be stated for I am interested in some of your reasons or reasons not to be.

• 660 Replies
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq23/dewi1066/jesustoast2.jpg

Took a close up of it with my proper camera instead of just my phone... couldn't get the case open, so sorry for the reflections on the glass, but as you can see, it's Jesus!

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Holy moly, so it is.

What are you going to do about it now Dewi? I hear they pay good money for documentaries. Imagine the title:

Toast: The Body of Christ

Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

I've had it for 6 years now, hence the reason you can see tiny bits of mold that have got into the case. I should clean it up really, not sure how much longer it will last as it genuinely is a piece of toasted bread. Although I wouldn't like to eat it.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Aye....are you Christian mate? Haven't figured that out. Pooh.

stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

****. That toast is freakin' hilarious.

numino
numino
214 posts
Peasant

It just breeds violence and hatred

now how does religion breed violence and hatred, would you please care to explain such an accusation
Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

now how does religion breed violence and hatred, would you please care to explain such an accusation

1. Many religions teach that they are the 'true path' to salvation/God(s)/eternal life/whatever
2. They say that people have to believe in the rules taught by the religion and in the God(s) of that religion
3. Anyone who either breaks these rules or doesn't believe in the God(s) does not get this reward and goes to a 'bad' place after they die and so people should either try to convert them while they're alive or, in the extreme cases, kill them in the name of their God(s).
4. You can surely see how this'd lead to conflict, violence or hatred - especially when the two groups have very different beliefs.
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

I think he looked at the photo of Jesus on bread.

No, no, no.... How many times do I have to tell you kids. Jesus CAN'T be on the bread. He's already returned!

http://www.lolwtfcomics.com/upload/uploads/1316782791.jpg
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

No, no, no.... How many times do I have to tell you kids. Jesus CAN'T be on the bread. He's already returned!

I beg to differ.

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq23/dewi1066/jesustoast2.jpg
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

Aye....are you Christian mate? Haven't figured that out. Pooh.

I was born to a Protestant family, raised as a Catholic and now I follow Dudeism (although when pushed, I fill in Jedi on official forms)

It's just a curious item I've kept for years and a great talking point... especially when we have friends around and the discussion moves towards religion.

I mean, it is the face of Jesus, it's on toast and before I mounted it in the case, people used to hold it in their hands and look at me as if I'd found the Turin Shroud!

Be interesting to see what atheists make of it.
Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

May I ask how any of you know exactly what Jesus looked like? Do you have a picture or something? All I'm seeing is some bearded white dude on toast... or pet-rear.

Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

May I ask how any of you know exactly what Jesus looked like? Do you have a picture or something? All I'm seeing is some bearded white dude on toast... or pet-rear.

I suppose I accept it is Jesus because it is an image that has been repeated by Christian religions in various forms. Statues, paintings and literature depict Jesus as a long haired fellow with a beard, usually with a crown of thorns on his head.

The pet-rear is funny because it mimics several statues that adorn the Christian churches all over the world. It makes me laugh every time I see it.
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

When I say:

I accept it is Jesus

I mean I accept it as a likeness of Jesus. I don't mean it actually is Jesus, why would he be hanging around in a piece of toasted bread that is sealed in a wooden case on top of my kitchen cupboards?
Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

But there are lots of other bearded guys with long hair out there, quite a few depicted throughout various religions and mythologies too, if there was some supernatural entity making itself revealed to you through the medium of toast (...I have no idea why anyone would choose to do that but let's roll with it) then why would it have to be Jesus?

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Just for the record, if Jesus (or a living person who inspired the idea of him) really did exist AND the biblical description of said individual is accurate, then it is almost certain that this individual was a large negro, not a scrawny piece of pale white meat.

The only description of Jesus from the Bible is that he had "olive skin and hair like wool". Olives are dark, wool is wiry and very curly. Ponder upon that a moment.

Showing 481-495 of 660