ForumsWEPRReasons to be an Atheist .

660 146895
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

Alright I have been researching theories talking with other Atheists and I have discovered some people who are Atheists but for the wrong reasons like...
1.Settling a score with God because they hate him for (whatever)reasons.
2.Just because.
Some good reasons...
1.There is no evidence.
2.A book written by primitive people is no proof for any God/Gods.
3.Nothing can be omniscient and omnipotent.
Any other reasons can be stated for I am interested in some of your reasons or reasons not to be.

• 660 Replies
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,826 posts
Nomad

So? You make it sound like respecting the law and adhering to one's own moral codes is a bad thing. Why should we add religion on top of that? There's no reason to. Personally, if someone only doesn't do bad things because they think they will get punished, I will never respect them fully. Also, it shows that they are at the first stage of moral development and thus not very mature anyways.

No law and moral codes are not a bad thing what I mean is
That other than law and morals a religious person have another safety lock.Called divine punishment.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

That other than law and morals a religious person have another safety lock.Called divine punishment.

That's not a safety lock. That's just another source of anxiety in one's life. And as Freakenstein said, religion does preach forgiveness for your soul, which would perhaps make it MORE likely that one would commit lesser crimes.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

And you say this will further deter them from committing crimes? From an objective standpoint, this seems to not work. The percentage of Christians to Atheists that have committed crimes, which was discussed earlier, seems to be greater against them, even if the population of Christians are far greater. If divine punishment is supposed to be another "safety lock", why isn't it working? And what of the "religious acts" that the religious feel is okay to them but is not okay to others?
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,826 posts
Nomad

And you say this will further deter them from committing crimes? From an objective standpoint, this seems to not work. The percentage of Christians to Atheists that have committed crimes, which was discussed earlier, seems to be greater against them, even if the population of Christians are far greater. If divine punishment is supposed to be another "safety lock", why isn't it working? And what of the "religious acts" that the religious feel is okay to them but is not okay to others?

Its not religions fault, its peoples fault.
Truth to be told, no religion is practiced in its original form, had it been so, world would have had been alot more peaceful.
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,826 posts
Nomad

One more thing.
Extremism is the main problem.
Extremism is not just too much over practice of religion, its also too little under practice.

AnaLoGMunKy
AnaLoGMunKy
1,573 posts
Blacksmith

But for a religious person not only laws will be a detterent to commit some crime, but also his beleif that he will be punished or rewarded according to his deeds in this life.
But for an atheist, the only things that will be stopping him from crime are Law and his own moral values.

Hold on a second.

Just because I dont believe in god, doesnt mean I dont envisage some kind of afterlife or conciousness or that I dont think my actions in this life could be judged after.

We truly dont know what happens after you die, so I dont presume that when I die we just stop, even tho I dont believe in god.
CabzIndustries
CabzIndustries
35 posts
Nomad

[quote]Atheists are murderers[/quote)

I'm was just trying to make a point because the initial statement was "Atheists don't kill or steal" which is incorrect.

stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

I'm was just trying to make a point because the initial statement was "Atheists don't kill or steal" which is incorrect.
Oh, that was the starting statement. Well, we kill and steal just as much as any other guy. (Oh, **** I just partly RickRoll'd you with that.)
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

We truly dont know what happens after you die, so I dont presume that when I die we just stop, even tho I dont believe in god.

If we drew a picture on a piece of paper then ripped it up to where we could no longer call it a picture, do we truly don't know what happens to that picture after it is ripped up? This lack of knowledge is only based on nothing more than wishful thinking and we hold as much lack of knowledge as to what happens to us after we die as we do for what happens to the picture once it's destroyed.
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

the picture will end up in imaginationland together whit santa, Lollipop King, Snarf, Robin Hood, Gandalf, Morpheus, Popeye, Wonder Woman, Zeus, Freddy Krueger, ManBearPig, Ronald McDonald and ofcours butters.

just like we go to heaven \\\
eligious sense off//

Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

I don't think you quite read my entire post, reading just one small chunk of a sentence can make it sound completely different from what it's meant to sound like. My entire post is as follows:

The percentage of Atheist murders might be greater if you look at it like that, but the percentage of theists in the world greatly outweighs that of atheists, so looking at it like that isn't exactly logical. It sounds more to me like searching for an excuse to say 'Atheists are murders'.

If you read the whole thing, it will make much more sense.

Or it can convince people to try to live it luxuriously on what ever the cost.
(If it means killing someone or robbing a bank or drug trafficking.

I think you should take a good long look at what I said on page 45. It goes something like this:

Just because we don't believe in a god or gods doesn't mean we are without morals. We aren't mindless barbarians that act solely on impulse. We also understand that other people have feelings and a family (whether it's their own or who they're related to, everyone has a family) and friends who care about them.

And Kasic has also said the first sentence in my quote on page 46. And MageGrayWolf also meant more of like stuff to do on a bucket list (sky diving, bungie jumping, you get the idea, right?) only do it before your old so your bucket list is rather small. Not shooting up banks and selling drugs, like what you're talking about.

a religious person have another safety lock.Called divine punishment.

Living an entire life in fear doesn't sound too great, if you ask me. I don't strive to be a person person out of fear, I strive to be a better person because I want to be because good people are trustworthy people. And it makes me feel good when I know that people trust me.
AnaLoGMunKy
AnaLoGMunKy
1,573 posts
Blacksmith

If we drew a picture on a piece of paper then ripped it up to where we could no longer call it a picture, do we truly don't know what happens to that picture after it is ripped up? This lack of knowledge is only based on nothing more than wishful thinking and we hold as much lack of knowledge as to what happens to us after we die as we do for what happens to the picture once it's destroyed.

Im not sure I get your meaning.
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,826 posts
Nomad

Living an entire life in fear doesn't sound too great, if you ask me. I don't strive to be a person person out of fear, I strive to be a better person because I want to be because good people are trustworthy people. And it makes me feel good when I know that people trust me.

But some people only comply because of fear.
There are two kinds of religious people
a) Who follow it for heaven.
b) Who follow it for fear of hell.
Just an example.
I'm broke.
I have a total opportunity of stealing alot of money and there is guarantee that no one will come after me.
If I dont believe in after life, I probably will steal.
If I do, then I wont steal.
AnaLoGMunKy
AnaLoGMunKy
1,573 posts
Blacksmith

How does this tie in with the rest of your statement

Its also not true, as proven time and time again.
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

I have a total opportunity of stealing alot of money and there is guarantee that no one will come after me.

except when your a christian then you can steal it. go to the church. confess your sin there and evrything is forgiven.
then you got the money and go top heaven. =P
Showing 451-465 of 660