ForumsWEPRReasons to be an Atheist .

660 146893
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

Alright I have been researching theories talking with other Atheists and I have discovered some people who are Atheists but for the wrong reasons like...
1.Settling a score with God because they hate him for (whatever)reasons.
2.Just because.
Some good reasons...
1.There is no evidence.
2.A book written by primitive people is no proof for any God/Gods.
3.Nothing can be omniscient and omnipotent.
Any other reasons can be stated for I am interested in some of your reasons or reasons not to be.

• 660 Replies
Alexistigerspice
Alexistigerspice
1,502 posts
Farmer

I was just simply stating that here are many people who kill people everyday and probability has it that alot of them would be athiest

Just because someone doesnt believe in God(s) doesn't mean they are more likely to murder someone. There is no basis for that judgement at all.
A lot of killers claim God actually told them to do it.
Trumpetfury
Trumpetfury
615 posts
Nomad

1. Choose your own path of life.

That right there, makes it worthwhile to just, forget about God, or any other deity, and live my life the way I want to live, not worrying about praying and paying tithe and all that....

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

and there is no reason to say that most murders etc. are done by atheists. not whitout proof.

If I remember correctly the prison population is disproportionately theistic. If I'm remembering correctly that would be evidence that most crimes are committed by theists, even when you consider the percentages of the population.
Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

I was just simply stating that here are many people who kill people everyday and probability has it that alot of them would be athiest

Just because we don't believe in a god or gods doesn't mean we are without morals. We aren't mindless barbarians that act solely on impulse. We also understand that other people have feelings and a family (whether it's their own or who they're related to, everyone has a family) and friends who care about them. I'd like to see your sources on this.

No, my point was that such a religion, i.e Islam justifies stoning people based on religious grounds

Just about all religions have been corrupted or changed in some way by their followers. (obviously these people are in higher power so it makes a bigger influence) Examples:

Christianity: No dancing, women can't show too much skin, and a new belief is that you don't even have to be a follower to get into heaven
Islam: Shariah law, stoning non-believers, and their extremists have probably also changed a thing or two
Hinduism: Making the Buddha a god (he wasn't originally a Hindu god, wasn't even alive when Hinduism had started)

I'm not so sure about Judaism, but if anyone knows something that has changed the religion by the followers, feel free to add to the list.

Now to answer the question asked at the beginning of the thread; i think there are many reasons to be an atheist. One is that it makes you question strange occurrences rather than answer it with 'god did it'. Another is that you're free to seek out whatever makes you happy. A third reason would be that you can actually think logically. (the Earth is not about 6,000 years old, it's just not. Carbon-dating for fossils has proved this theory to be very, very wrong) And my last reason reason is that it teaches you to be more open to things that aren't considered 'normal' by everyone else. (gay marriage, abortion, other controversial topics)
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

Blatant ignorance is the one who says that atheists are prone to killing randomly, stealing without fear, etc. That is as ignorant as if I say "Since the Bible says it's ok to sell my daughter to slavery then all Christians must sell their daughters to slavery. You really think Atheist have less of a drive to be morale? If anything they are more morale than any other deist religion. Why? Because most Atheists think that this is their only life so they want to savor it every day.. or at least try. This whole misunderstanding is understandable if your preacher/pastor decides to say that blatant ignorance out his mouth (it has to be a he because females according to most religions aren't good enough). Now you may wonder how dare this person attack my religion!! I'm not attacking. I'm showing you what it is and if you chose to ignore it every day of your life then stop trying to so call "save" other people. It's really annoying when you say we are going to your "hell". I don't believe in it so stop repeating it!

stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

And my last reason reason is that it teaches you to be more open to things that aren't considered 'normal' by everyone else. (gay marriage, abortion, other controversial topics)
Yeah, I can't tell you how many times I've encountered the "It's just not natural because the Bible... blah blah blah".
CabzIndustries
CabzIndustries
35 posts
Nomad

Just because we don't believe in a god or gods doesn't mean we are without morals. We aren't mindless barbarians that act solely on impulse. We also understand that other people have feelings and a family (whether it's their own or who they're related to, everyone has a family) and friends who care about them. I'd like to see your sources on this.

Turtle man i meant from a math point of view, you take the number of people in the world, find out how many are atheist. Then you take the number of murders, ever. According to probability there will be many atheists as well as Christians.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Because most Atheists think that this is their only life so they want to savor it every day.. or at least try.

Further more the "only this life to live" thing applies to everyone else as well. This can give incentive to try and make others lives the best they can live as well.
Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

Turtle man i meant from a math point of view, you take the number of people in the world, find out how many are atheist. Then you take the number of murders, ever. According to probability there will be many atheists as well as Christians.

The percentage of Atheist murders might be greater if you look at it like that, but the percentage of theists in the world greatly outweighs that of atheists, so looking at it like that isn't exactly logical. It sounds more to me like searching for an excuse to say 'Atheists are murders'.
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,826 posts
Nomad

Further more the "only this life to live" thing applies to everyone else as well. This can give incentive to try and make others lives the best they can live as well.

Or it can convince people to try to live it luxuriously on what ever the cost.
(If it means killing someone or robbing a bank or drug trafficking.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Or it can convince people to try to live it luxuriously on what ever the cost.

You do realize that "You only have one life, make the most of it" does not equal **** and pillage everything in sight right? Just because someone doesn't believe in a god doesn't mean that they have no morals.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Come on Punisher, watch what you say. "Only this life to live" philosophy does not mean people will then become followers of the Hobbesian State of Nature; there is still something called Law to follow. Breaking laws do not depend on whether someone is religious or not. How fallacious.

thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,826 posts
Nomad

Come on Punisher, watch what you say. "Only this life to live" philosophy does not mean people will then become followers of the Hobbesian State of Nature; there is still something called Law to follow. Breaking laws do not depend on whether someone is religious or not. How fallacious.

Let me put it this way.
A religious person can break a law and so does an atheist or anyone who does not believe on after life.
But for a religious person not only laws will be a detterent to commit some crime, but also his beleif that he will be punished or rewarded according to his deeds in this life.
But for an atheist, the only things that will be stopping him from crime are Law and his own moral values.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

But for an atheist, the only things that will be stopping him from crime are Law and his own moral values.

So? You make it sound like respecting the law and adhering to one's own moral codes is a bad thing. Why should we add religion on top of that? There's no reason to. Personally, if someone only doesn't do bad things because they think they will get punished, I will never respect them fully. Also, it shows that they are at the first stage of moral development and thus not very mature anyways.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

And in the end, the effect is all the same. Religious folks can also ask for forgiveness, whether directly to God or through their resident pastor. It's not a far cry to say some have this in their mind. It's even in Christian doctrine; you commit crimes or sins, you ask for forgiveness. So you do that, you feel better, everything's peachy.....and then the cycle continues. Since Atheists do not believe in asking for forgiveness, except socially through their peers, they have to live with their consequences and realize it's going to be with them through the rest of their lives.

My point is, the difference between having a religion and not is nill.

Showing 436-450 of 660