ForumsWEPRReasons to be an Atheist .

660 146885
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

Alright I have been researching theories talking with other Atheists and I have discovered some people who are Atheists but for the wrong reasons like...
1.Settling a score with God because they hate him for (whatever)reasons.
2.Just because.
Some good reasons...
1.There is no evidence.
2.A book written by primitive people is no proof for any God/Gods.
3.Nothing can be omniscient and omnipotent.
Any other reasons can be stated for I am interested in some of your reasons or reasons not to be.

• 660 Replies
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

Homer before the Bible. You do want to read the good stuff first right?

I've read the Bible, several times, along with other religious books, but haven't got round to reading Homer despite books that have been on my book shelf for years.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

So given that we're talking over 2000 years ago with average life expectancy being 33 years of age, it is highly unlikely Mark was alive when Jesus walked the earth, and it's more than possible that at least 3 generations passed before they were written?

Yeah, it's considered that the Gospels were not written by those who they are attributed it. Another interesting thing if you read the Gospels in the order in which they were written (Mark, Matthew, Luke, John) you can see the story become more fantastic, filled with more supernatural events with each one. This is exactly what would be expected if the author was just taking the previously written story and adding their own spin on it.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Makes the Gospels sound a little like Harry Potter eh?

Deth666
Deth666
653 posts
Nomad

Isn't a lot of the bible confirmed by other sources? Josephus immediately comes to mind. Though, I'm not entirely sure if Harry Potter is or not.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Perhaps like Robin Hood, Peter Pan, or the Wizard of Oz. Each retelling we can get more elaborate and fantastic stories.

Isn't a lot of the bible confirmed by other sources?

There are parts of the Bible that have historical accuracy, but this does not make it all true.

Josephus immediately comes to mind.

Josephus was a third hand account at best, the parts that most Christians like to point to as confirming Jesus's existence is questionable as to if it was actually his work or a forgery. If the writing it accurate it would just be a report as to how the Christians viewed it, as Josephus was Jewish. Even if there was a real person who has some historical basis for the character of Jesus this doesn't make the Biblical character real.
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

Even if there was a real person who has some historical basis for the character of Jesus this doesn't make the Biblical character real.

Wasn't Jesus recorded in Roman communications though?

If he was, historically he existed and he was noted by the Romans.
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

Perhaps like Robin Hood, Peter Pan, or the Wizard of Oz

i usualy compare jesus whit robin hood.

both are storys of a guy(s) that have existed 1 time. but because barely any1 could read or write back then it 1st has past on in the form of songs and storys told by elders. so the story has compleetly changed 5 times and 10 generates later. it got wroten doen by some1 that could write and read.
also is there from both guys no originel source. no1 knows who came up whit these storys 1st. (robin hood is 600+ year old )

anyway jesus is the same to me as robin hood is =)
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Wasn't Jesus recorded in Roman communications though?

If your speaking of first hand accounts there are non. The first accounts we get of Jesus come some 30 years after his supposed death.
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

If your speaking of first hand accounts there are non. The first accounts we get of Jesus come some 30 years after his supposed death.

What about the letter from Pontius Pilate to Tiberius Caesar? A copy of it is in the Congressional Library, surely that was written before Jesus died?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

What about the letter from Pontius Pilate to Tiberius Caesar? A copy of it is in the Congressional Library, surely that was written before Jesus died?

Here's a read on the matter.
http://nobeliefs.com/exist.htm

Particularly,
"Letters of Pontius Pilate

This would appear hilarious if not for the tragic results that can occur from believing in fiction: many faithful (especially on the internet) have a strong belief that Pontius Pilate actually wrote letters to Seneca in Rome where he mentions Jesus and his reported healing miracles.

Considering the lack of investigational temper of the religious mind, it might prove interesting to the critical reader that the main source for the letters of Pilate come from W. P. Crozier's 1928 book titled, "Letters of Pontius Pilate: Written During His Governorship of Judea to His Friend Seneca in Rome." The book cites Crozier as the editor as if he represented a scholar who edited Pilate's letters. Well, from the title, it certainly seems to indicate that Pilate wrote some letters doesn't it? However, unbeknownst or ignored by the uncritical faithful, this book represents Crozier's first novel, a fictionalized account of what he thought Pilate would have written.

During the first publication, no one believed this novel represented fact and reviews of the day reveal it as a work of fiction.

Crozier, a newspaper editor, went to Oxford University and retained an interest in Latin, Greek and the Bible. He wrote this novel as if it represented the actual letters of Pilate. Of course no scholar would cite this as evidence because no letters exist of Pilate to Seneca, and Seneca never mentions Jesus in any of his writings.

The belief in Pilate's letters represents one of the more amusing fad beliefs in evidential Jesus, however, it also reveals just how myths, fakes, and fictions can leak into religious thought. Hundreds of years from now, Crozier's fictionalized account may very well end up just as 'reliable' as the gospels.
"
illand
illand
9 posts
Treasurer

The simple belief that letters from a roman to another could survive is, at the least, naive. I mean, hell, there are writtings from the Greek philosophers that were lost, and some ****ing letters would have been conserved better ? Like hell.

As for the Bible, I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the final version was from around 400-500. Yep, around the Roman Empire's fall.

Funny fact : Jesus was born before year 0. If THIS is not the ULTIMATE evidence that he is God's son ! Seriously, who else could be born before his birth ?
Have fun ^^

stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

Jesus was born before year 0. If THIS is not the ULTIMATE evidence that he is God's son
Got proof? And don't quote the Bible, that's not gonna get you anywhere.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Funny fact : Jesus was born before year 0. If THIS is not the ULTIMATE evidence that he is God's son ! Seriously, who else could be born before his birth ?

This is an interesting series on Jesus's timeline if you were to follow the four Gospels as true counts of the events with an attempt to reconcile with history.
Skeptic Bible Study: The Jesus Timeline
Skeptic Bible Study: The Jesus Timeline Part II
The Jesus Timeline Part III
Jesus Timeline Part IV

BTW, there was no year 0.
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,826 posts
Duke

And here's a terrific reason to be an atheist. You don't wind up making idiotic statements like this. Is this guy suggesting that Jesus was the first human ever born? All this shows, even if Jesus was a real person, is that we use a Christian calendar.
stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

Christian calendar.
There's a Christian calendar? I wasn't informed of this notion.
Showing 511-525 of 660