ForumsWEPRReasons to be an Atheist .

660 146858
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

Alright I have been researching theories talking with other Atheists and I have discovered some people who are Atheists but for the wrong reasons like...
1.Settling a score with God because they hate him for (whatever)reasons.
2.Just because.
Some good reasons...
1.There is no evidence.
2.A book written by primitive people is no proof for any God/Gods.
3.Nothing can be omniscient and omnipotent.
Any other reasons can be stated for I am interested in some of your reasons or reasons not to be.

• 660 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Oh and if anyone else can help I'd really appreciate it.

I would, but I just spent 8 minutes scrolling through every comment on page 30 looking for your name and I never saw it. Could you copy & paste it here?
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Why is is that Atheist never get possessed? The answers I'm going to get are because the devil won't waste time on a lost soul or sum other related bull****. Bet u guys 10 bucks

Here it is Kasic. My guess would be that because possesion is fake, but that's just me.
TheAtheist
TheAtheist
132 posts
Peasant

I would, but I just spent 8 minutes scrolling through every comment on page 30 looking for your name and I never saw it. Could you copy & paste it here?

Why is is that Atheist never get possessed? The answers I'm going to get are because the devil won't waste time on a lost soul or sum other related bull****. Bet u guys 10 bucks
AtheisticFighter9 3 days ago

@AtheisticFighter9 I claim those 10 bucks. My answer has nothing to do with lost souls, nor does it involve devils having to exist. Salvador Dali is a good example of an unbelieving sybarite who had to be exorcised. People become &quotossessed" in all cultures not just Christianity. Since the 1960s there has been a huge wave of possessions that has followed the expansion of unbelief. Atheists join Satanic groups for the sexual kicks as they don't believe in Satan or God yet get possessed. Frequent.
Porphyrygrampus 3 days ago
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Here it is Kasic. My guess would be that because possesion is fake, but that's just me.

I still can't find it, and I've looked through page 30 two times now.

What part of the page is it on, in fractions or something for the scroll bar. Just this comment alone doesn't tell me really what he needs help with arguing...
TheAtheist
TheAtheist
132 posts
Peasant

That was only the beginning of the argument btw. Thank you guys for taking interest.

TheAtheist
TheAtheist
132 posts
Peasant

I still can't find it, and I've looked through page 30 two times now.

Page 30 should be the beginning. My screen name Atheistic Fighter 9. The Fundamentalist Fascist party member is Porphyrygrampus. That's all I can really tell you man. It should be there.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Page 30 should be the beginning. My screen name Atheistic Fighter 9. The Fundamentalist Fascist party member is Porphyrygrampus. That's all I can really tell you man. It should be there.

Okay, well, I found it, I think. I have no idea whatsoever how youtube does anything, as I found the posts on page one. Page 30 had posts from 9 months ago. I also don't understand because the conversation continued from 3 days ago, to 2, to 1, then to 2 days ago again.

There's also a large multitude of topics you cover, which are you looking for help on?

1) Morality of Atheists vs Theists
2) Bible Belt Statistics
3) Stalin/Mao etc as examples of Atheism is evil
4) Possession of Atheists vs Theists
5) Some random story of you walking to a lake in the woods?
6) Other
TheAtheist
TheAtheist
132 posts
Peasant

The random story about the lake and the woods was a lie to fool him into believing that I actually believed in something. I did that so I could see if he was really agnostic or not and how he questioned things. Stalin and Mao you have no chance with that guys because he is so stuck on stereotypes and I've explained to him over and over again how that isn't right. He still refuses to believe. I seen a video on YouTube somewhere where a guy showed a map of the united states and that there was more violence and uneducated people down in the bible belt than anywhere in the US. Morality of Atheist is something I need help with though and possessions.n

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

possessions

Alright, from what I've seen of his posts I doubt you can change anything, but tell him,

"The burden of evidence rests on the claimant. If you're claiming that demons exist, what would be a supernatural phenomena, then you have to provide evidence for them. It is not my responsibility to disprove something which is not recognized as real. If you want to say that she did not have a mental disorder and instead want to claim possession, then prove that demons exist."

Morality of Atheist is something I need help with though

Show him this article.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/atheism-rare-among-prison-population

There's others out there, but I'm getting tired.

If Atheists were as moral as Theists, then proportionally they would be represented in prison the same as Theists. This is not the case at all. VERY few prisoners are Atheist, most are Catholic, which is in direct conflict with claims of religion being morally superior.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

If Atheists were as moral as Theists, then proportionally they would be represented in prison the same as Theists. This is not the case at all. VERY few prisoners are Atheist, most are Catholic, which is in direct conflict with claims of religion being morally superior.

To further add to this, that's how they are as the convicts go into the system. Not conversions after the fact.

There are a number of medical conditions that could easily explain what she was going through. It was a pastor, not a doctor who made the judgment that what she was going through was not some form of epilepsy but demonic possession. To further compound this even if it had been a trained doctor, diagnoses and treatments for such aliments were crude at best during that time.
She went through extensive exorcisms, which ultimately lead not to her being cured, but to her death due to malnourishment and dehydration from the exorcism process.

This is what it says on wiki about her early life, all with citations so you don't have to rely on wiki and get the lame "you can't trust wiki" excuse.

'Anneliese Michel was born on September 21, 1952 in Leiblfing, Bavaria, Germany to a strict Catholic family. When she was sixteen, she suffered a severe convulsion and was diagnosed with epilepsy. Soon, she began hallucinating while praying. In 1973, she suffered from depression and began to hear voices telling her that she was "****ed" and would "rot in hell".'

This is all consistent with epilepsy.

The pastor (Ernst Alt) reported saying he didn't see her experience seizures. This statement would have to ignore previous and clear demonstrations of seizures earlier in her life. This again puts into question the qualifications of this man to make such a judgment on her mental health.

If you scroll down this has quite a bit on the case.
http://www.randi.org/jr/200509/091605church.html#1

One thing to note from the above link.
"In spite of all this heavy intervention, the attacks did not stop. In fact, Anneliese would often fall into paralysis and unconsciousness even more often than before."
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

Yes I finally understand why people choose to be atheist. I will now respect their views. But what is a reason to be atheist like the topic title says?

Is it because they like to find things out themselves with science instead of beleiving in a faith that might seem a little crazy that there is a God and a Jesus that performed miracles and that God created us and the world.

I think that our world is so old now that people may have recorded things a long time ago of many of these religions but they all got misinterpreted, changed and more people started forming beleifs of many religions.

What I am trying to say is that people would pass stories down the family but it would change everytime they said the stories so many people could be beleiving in faiths and religions that are not true.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

There has to be a God.
Oh wait a second, that's why there is.

1) Please don't spam.

2) Are you going to support your claim in any way whatsoever? "God exists because he exists because the bible says he exists because the bible is the word of God it is correct because God exists" = never-ending circle of fail logic.

But what is a reason to be atheist like the topic title says?

What is the reason you don't take seriously claims of green aliens on mars, unicorns in old forests, or claims of rainbows which poop out leprechaun gold? Because they don't add up. They don't make sense. They contradict themselves. There is no evidence for them. Why would you believe something like that, simply because others believe it and it has been believed in for a while?

I think that our world is so old now that people may have recorded things a long time ago of many of these religions but they all got misinterpreted, changed and more people started forming beleifs of many religions.

And why exactly would beliefs thousands of years older than what we know today be more accurate? We have a vast amount more of tools, knowledge, and history to look back on. If they saw us today, they would call -us- gods. Flying objects? Explosions which wipe out everything in sight? Mastery of lightning? We're doing what they considered to be gods -because- we have these understandings about our world, far more so than they ever did. Why would an uneducated Shepard 5000 years ago who listened to myths and folktales be more correct than a modern scientist who can prove what he's saying?
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

And why exactly would beliefs thousands of years older than what we know today be more accurate?

It would be more accurate because it would have just happend that day or a week ago so they would have the first hand account of what happend and they would be telling the story right. Not passed down for millions of years and changed so that all of these religions appear.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

It would be more accurate because it would have just happend that day or a week ago so they would have the first hand account of what happend and they would be telling the story right. Not passed down for millions of years and changed so that all of these religions appear.

My mistake then. I thought you were referring to the religious beliefs of people long ago, not just the stories we have today which were supposed to have happened back then.

Quoting my World Mythology professor, "Simply because a myth may not have happened does not mean it did not happen." Meaning, that at base elements, myths portray every day occurrences and often contain a base in reality, which were then embellished over time and repetition.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Oh wait a second, that's why there is.

I suggest that you ask questions to your minister, parents, theists, atheists and then make your own judgement.
If you don't ask questions and accept what your minister, preacher, priest, or rabbi tells you then you'll get frustrated and confused.
We all have a mind and no one should be forbidden to use it and think.
That's all can say to you.

From my personal experience, I wasn't happy with the church's answers and I wanted to know more. In the end I decided that I didn't believe in God.
Showing 571-585 of 660