ForumsThe TavernZombie survival tips

459 159341
Nundu
Nundu
7 posts
Peasant

K, so, this is a general discussion where people share tips about surviving the Zombie Apocalypse. The only requirements here are to remember how far the nearest weapon/grocery store is, or how populated the place you live in is. The larger the spot, the more the zombies. So, you can discuss your basic plan about how to survive, but first, ask yourself some questions, like:
1: What kind of resources do I have?
2: What kind of weapons are available to me now?
2: Where will I go?
Tell about what your main weapon would be (it doesn't have to be a gun), or where you'll go, or if you can improvise.
My main weapons would have to be a shotgun (easy handling, can take out numerous zombies in one shot) or a rifle, and my melee weapon would be a crowbar or an axe, and secondary would be a kitchen or jack knife.

• 459 Replies
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Well yeah. But lets say you shoot one in the heart (or a artiry) and it starts bleeding out. Isn't it impossible for it to move because the blood stops circulating.

Zombie blood doesn't usually circulate to begin with.

Without blood flow, how will the muscles recive the oxygen and nutrients needed to move.

In the stories the way a zombie can still continue to function despite this is left a mystery. In other words the writers just ignore this problem and carry on.

I like to think the virus does something to maintain these structures to some degree.

And also, if a zombie was shot in the stomach, or hadn't had some brains in a week, won't the stomach acid get out and cause the same problem of blood loss?

There have been zombies who have had their stomachs removed and are still able to function just fine.
EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,223 posts
Nomad

I am so glad that you'll all be dead in a zombie apocalypse, and if I'm not I'll make myself dead with a bullet to my brain. The ideas on this thread are absolutely horrific and suicidal.

Rambo survivalists: You will die. Run and gun and you're one and done. Survival isn't about who has the bigger and more impractical gun. The best option isn't to prepare for an encounter, it's to prepare for avoiding one entirely. Let's go over a bit more practical methods of survival, interaction, and avoidance techniques, beginning with weapons.

If you ever need a weapon that can kill at ranges beyond 100 yards, you're stupid. You'll never be at those ranges and need to shoot, save the incredibly rare instance of being in a firefight with other people shooting back. That crosses off, right there, the majority of high powered rifles. If your weapon is so loud you can't fire it indoors without blasting your eardrums out, it's too **** loud. Shotguns, .50 caliber pistols and rifles, and .45 pistols are gone. Fire those in a closed space, and consider your hearing history, thus killing you. Ammo availability is perhaps the most important. You simply will not be able to attain enough practical ammunition (in America for the intentions of this writing) for anything except .22LR, 9mm, 5.56mm, or 12 gauge shells to be useful. In other parts of the world, even these are often highly regulated. You are not going to find .50BMG almost anywhere not already infested, and even if you did, the second you picked a .50BMG up you would regret your choice of weapon (already exceeding 30 pounds in the case of most .50BMG rifles). .45 ACP is very common, but firing one indoors will put unprotected ears in harms way, and sound will save your life more than sight ever would. Orion's recommended weapons: Multi-shot semi-automatic .22LR rifles, 9mm pistols, or if you're a lucky *******, an AR-15. As for exotic weapons: No. Just no. What are you, stupid?

Melee weapons: If you're ever in a situation where a 5 inch knife or a baseball bat wouldn't work, you're already dead. Most people simply aren't physically fit or skilled enough to safely use bladed weapons like machetes, and even if they were, against more than two zeds you're dead. Plain and simple. While melee weapons never run out of ammo, they do run out of energy, and when under constant stress, energy is already going to be lacking.

Moving on to necessities: Food, water, and shelter will all be paramount to any survival attempt. You would be absolutely shocked at just how hard it is to find these basic needs. Clean water will be rare at best, and food will be tough to come by. In cities, where food may seem abundant, it is likely already looted or spoiled. Water is even rarer. It would be unwise to keep more than a gallon of water with you as well, seeing as water is heavy and cumbersome, yet so needed. Being in a rainy climate or in a forest with many streams is preferable, but not likely for most people. Getting creative would be wise, and plundering and shooting others for water may be the best course of action in most scenarios. Shelter is easy but tricky: Too big or too small, and it will be dangerous and uncomfortable. Houses are dangerous because of many windows and often a lack of visibility. I would recommend and attic for city shelter, and a tarp and string for non-city shelter.

Medicine: Forget about it. Grab some advil and get going. Antibiotics will be long gone by the time you get to a place where they are stored. In a post-apocalyptic scenario, the survivors are often the late-arrivers and recluses, and obviously everything is gone by that point.

Luxuries: These are best used in trade and as comfort. It might amaze a person just how much you can get for a carton of cigarettes or a bottle of liquor. Admittedly, when in extreme chronic stress, the temptation to down it yourself might be a bit strong, and very few people would resist it. Assuming you do, you can barter quite a bit for the simpler, more chemical luxuries people use to unwind. Sometimes, when death and threat of death is all around, passing out is the best sleep a person will get, and they'll literally give away the shirt on their back for it, or better yet, the ammunition in their magazine.

Transportation: This is pretty simple. Cars break down, animals run away and need feeding, and your feet get sore. When in doubt, use a bicycle. Fast, easy to maintain, and one can even put their items on it that they don't immediately need on their person.

Clothing: Climate appropriate. Don't wear shorts in the winter of Minnesota and don't bundle up in a hot and humid Florida summer. However, a few precautions might want to be heeded. Boots, gloves, and a brimmed hat can do amazing things. It shouldn't be needed to be said exactly why, as it's pretty obvious.

So I'll compile a summary checklist that may or may not be missing some items and include a few things not mentioned:
-Small, easy to maintain firearm that is quiet and ammo is plentiful
-Small melee weapon
-A water bottle or two
-A metal or plastic plate with metal or plastic fork
-Some canned food
-A multitool
-Advil, Tylenol, or another over-the-counter pain reliever is good for those dehydration headaches you are 100% guaranteed to suffer
-Cigarettes
-Vodka
-A bike
-Boots
-Gloves
-Wide brimmed hat
-A tarp or otherwise light and portable shelter
-A lighter (reusable and tough lighters work well) (matches get wet (unless waterproof))
-Something to sleep on (see: tarp)
-A backpack to put it all in

That should get you started. Just remember to avoid zombies and stay away from cities. Don't shoot from more than 100 yards, as that's silly, and don't shoot weapons that can be heard from a mile in all directions.

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,711 posts
Blacksmith

Except the fact that everyone else in your town wants to do that too!

my brother knows how to use a bow. we get the machetes, fill some bottles with water and put some food and other usefull things in our backpacks. we search 1-3 survivors and go first to the bike store to get new bikes with bike bags. then we go to the hunting store in our town to get bows, arrows and arrow bags (my brother can teach us how to use the bows). after that we go to a store to get seeds of different plants like corn, tomatoes, potatoes and so on, but only seed from plants where we can get more seed. we take some drinks and other things we need. the next step is to find a safe place where we can start a farm and build our own tree house village. while some are farming at 12 a. m. others protect them from above. we can live by hunting (i know how to make some traps and my brother knows how to use a fishing rod). zombies can not climb on trees, right?

Read above.

in that case i form a group with the survivors we met and make a tree house village, following the plan above.

or i make this:

i go with my brother, backs full of anything we need but not to heavy, to a safe place. if we find zombies we act like zeds before they can see us (shawn of the dead, ftw!). we dont need weapons if the zeds dont attack us. depends all on the zed-type. if we find empty cars or corpses on the ground (you know, the type that is not yet a zed) and loot them. if we find survivers we act normal so we dont get killed and after we found someone who know how to "drive" a big boat, we go to an island, killing all zeds with traps if there are any. then we start farming, collecting rain if we find no sweet water and forming/creating our own small village. we get the boat on land and make a house out of it so we have a storehouse for our food.

Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

i go with my brother, backs full of anything we need but not to heavy, to a safe place. if we find zombies we act like zeds before they can see us (shawn of the dead, ftw!). we dont need weapons if the zeds dont attack us. depends all on the zed-type. if we find empty cars or corpses on the ground (you know, the type that is not yet a zed) and loot them. if we find survivers we act normal so we dont get killed and after we found someone who know how to "drive" a big boat, we go to an island, killing all zeds with traps if there are any. then we start farming, collecting rain if we find no sweet water and forming/creating our own small village. we get the boat on land and make a house out of it so we have a storehouse for our food.

if we find zombies we act like zeds before they can see us (shawn of the dead, ftw!).

Yeah, best thing to do incase they have a sense of smell or sight.

we dont need weapons if the zeds dont attack us.

Same thing is true when your neighbors try to kill you for food I believe?

if we find survivers we act normal so we dont get killed and after we found someone who know how to "drive" a big boat, we go to an island, killing all zeds with traps if there are any.

Especially if the Survivors want to kill you for your stuff. And I am sure there are some people on the island already too.
Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

in that case i form a group with the survivors we met and make a tree house village, following the plan above.

It takes only one raider and 1 minute...
xfirealchemistx
xfirealchemistx
370 posts
Nomad

I am so glad that you'll all be dead in a zombie apocalypse, and if I'm not I'll make myself dead with a bullet to my brain. The ideas on this thread are absolutely horrific and suicidal.

Rambo survivalists: You will die. Run and gun and you're one and done. Survival isn't about who has the bigger and more impractical gun. The best option isn't to prepare for an encounter, it's to prepare for avoiding one entirely. Let's go over a bit more practical methods of survival, interaction, and avoidance techniques, beginning with weapons.

While I agree with you that most of these plans are dumb the most realistic scenario is to stay in one place for as long as you can because being out and about among zombies is dumb? A house small (brick) WITH burglar bars is the BEST solution to surviving a zombie attack. The best way to survive is to prepare BEFOREHAND. But of course using a knife or baseball bat isn't the best way to survive because you expend too much energy.
xNightwish
xNightwish
1,609 posts
Nomad

I would go live in a Bioschock : Infimite style town. I would have no problems.
Or I would live underwater and grow a farm there.

But if it happened now, I would run down, get a knife, collect family and push a closet over the staircase so they can't get in. And I can climb over the roof to be to the neighbors and die.

GeminiDelta
GeminiDelta
437 posts
Nomad

Most people simply aren't physically fit or skilled enough to safely use bladed weapons like machetes, and even if they were, against more than two zeds you're dead. Plain and simple. While melee weapons never run out of ammo, they do run out of energy, and when under constant stress, energy is already going to be lacking.

A spear is lightweight, can kill zombies at a nice long range, and a basic stab barely takes any energy. If there's multiple zeds, all you have to do is walk backwards and stab as necessary. Or if you're surrounded, just keep stabbing and make a wall of zombies. I think the game "Body ladder" (Or whatever it's called) is pretty nice in supporting this fact.

I can tell you're a pessimist, but you don't have to put down everything people say. I agree with you about the medicine.

Water-A rural house with spring water on tap. Just use the bike-generator idea to keep the electricity going, and the excercise will keep you fit.

About walls: Too many zeds and down goes the wall. Ditches are much better in the fact that zombies fall in and can't get out. the deeper the ditch, the more zombies can fit in. I can't dig a 2ft wide, 10ft deep hole around an acre of land in one day, but when I got time where food and water are good, there's no zed (Because it's a **** RURAL area. Thinly populated!), then i'd happily spend a few hours digging. As for when nature calls: latrine over the ditch. easy, though smelly.
xfirealchemistx
xfirealchemistx
370 posts
Nomad

The most important thing is not to act like it's an FPS. Because it isn't. And any attempts at acting as such will probably end in failure. Like Orion said. You can't really benefit from killing zombies; they don't provide any food or water

I agree wholeheartedly.

I can tell you're a pessimist, but you don't have to put down everything people say. I agree with you about the medicine.

Double true

About walls: Too many zeds and down goes the wall. Ditches are much better in the fact that zombies fall in and can't get out. the deeper the ditch, the more zombies can fit in.

But the only thing that will happen with a ditch is the zombies will come anyways and fill up the ditch and new zombies will be able to just climb/shuffle over the zombies that fell in. I'd rather have a wall than a ditch. A wall can hide you a ditch can't.
GeminiDelta
GeminiDelta
437 posts
Nomad

But the only thing that will happen with a ditch is the zombies will come anyways and fill up the ditch and new zombies will be able to just climb/shuffle over the zombies that fell in. I'd rather have a wall than a ditch. A wall can hide you a ditch can't.

Not if the zombies have a good sense of smell. I'd like to be able to see the zombies. any obstructed view risks the zombie "Attacking when you least expect it." If you can't see the zombies, you never know where they are. And just burn the zombie-filled ditch with some wood, newspaper, and a match. Clears them out nicely and gives a fire for cooking stuff on.
d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

Clears them out nicely and gives a fire for cooking stuff on.

....I don't recommend cooking food on a fire that has been started from dead zombies.

any obstructed view risks the zombie "Attacking when you least expect it." If you can't see the zombies, you never know where they are.

I doubt it's too hard to find a ladder or two to see over the wall.
loco5
loco5
16,288 posts
Peasant

don't forget, not all zombies have to be idiotic slow shuffling ones, what if you were faced with ones that can climb, could mutate into different versions, could go into a full sprint, didn't rot?

thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

I will fortify my self in some tall building, my main weapon will be any standard power semi auto rifle meele will b some blunt weapon (like hammer or bat) sidearm will b any handgun with enough power to penetrate there skull and small arm will be a machete.
I will get all the water bottles and food from any nearby store. And will enjoy rest of my life sniping zombies from above.

GhostGS
GhostGS
323 posts
Nomad

i'd be on the road a lot as nothing drags me down. drifting from one settlement to the next (this is in the future where there are settlements among the wasteland of the dead)

weapons would be a shotgun as just one bullet won't do it but one slug usually does. the size would be small, maybe a sawn off, some type that i can find easily. i'd have just one. i'd also carry one .40 S&W pistol and a .22 rifle in case i have to deal with human enemies.
i would have some form of a military knife and a small hatchet. one last weapon that i would carry upon myself is a long whip that is made out of sharp hardened blades that can create a lot of chaos. if anyone watches bleach, i took the idea from renji's sword.
other than that i would hope to find other stragglers to join me on my travels. hopefully a group of around 3-5 other people. try get a van working or a car or make do with horse drawn carts.

always have cold meals in dense areas of forest or urban landscapes. would always have something hot in wide open spaces with some trees. climb the tree after dinner when i've used the fire for barely five minutes.
have plenty of water and scavenge or forage for food never carry too much permanently.
would always wear what is known as junners, a "the Guard" polo shirt with a red and black winter jacket over it.
i carry on me some extra clothes in case it got colder during winter, always carried a lightweight, but warm blanket, and only hold two photos of my friends and family. i would always wear my watch my father gave me.

always have a safe house in some particular place so you can be safe or to store some of the bulkier items in your possession. mine would largely contain my arsenal as well as some reminders to the past. i would still have my camera that i use regularly when i visit my safehouse. this house would be a small house in one of the reasonably sized settlements near my old home. this town would largely contain some of my old friends, however few there are.

mostly im on the road searching what i have been missing since the outbreak. something that feels will never be found. the photos remind me what im looking for all the time.

Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

I will fortify my self in some tall building, my main weapon will be any standard power semi auto rifle meele will b some blunt weapon (like hammer or bat) sidearm will b any handgun with enough power to penetrate there skull and small arm will be a machete.
I will get all the water bottles and food from any nearby store. And will enjoy rest of my life sniping zombies from above.

Assuming you live near a tall building, then you must live in the suburbs which means, you will be fighting half of your town's population for those waterbottles. Good luck friend!
Showing 61-75 of 459