ForumsThe TavernEnd of the World...is it going to happen?

158 24410
TheDracomancer
TheDracomancer
56 posts
Farmer

The numbers 2012 is not unfamiliar to us...It's already December of this year and it's the so called "end of the world" next year according the the Mayans and Nostradamus...

Who believes it's going to be the end of the world and if it really is...what will all of you do?

• 158 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

the so called "end of the world" next year according the the Mayans

Just as the calendar you have on your kitchen wall does not cease to exist after December 31, the Mayan calendar does not cease to exist on December 21, 2012. This date is the end of the Mayan long-count period but then -- just as your calendar begins again on January 1 -- another long-count period begins for the Mayan calendar.

I'm not buying it.

http://thinkingoutloud.gr/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/demotivational-posters-mayans.jpg
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Sorry. I'm not buying the end of the world theory.*

Alexistigerspice
Alexistigerspice
1,502 posts
Farmer

Why are all these threads popping up everywhere? The end of the world is supposedly going to be on 12/21/12. In case no one's noticed, that would be next year. And has anyone thought about the fact that maybe the Mayans just got tired of making calendars and just decided to stop at that date?
I doubt the world is going to end any time soon. The only way it could end so quickly without pretense would be if aliens came from some faraway galaxy wielding weapons beyond our comprehension and zapped the planet into nonexistance.
^^This is honestly more likely than whatever people think is going to happen on 12/21/12.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

that pic made me laugh. thats what i have been saying
guy: the mayans say the world will end in 2012
me: no no, they just ran out of rocks.

aparently, it marks the date when they make another temple or pyramid or whatever u wana call it. its supossed to worship the gods or something similar.

but i belive the bible, to which i re word this
"we will not the when the end is upon us."

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

darn i messed up the quote.
"we will not know when the end is upon us"
much better

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

and another thing, of corse it will happen (when the sun explodes or alians or zombies or whatever) we just have no idea when

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

The only way it could end so quickly without pretense would be if aliens came from some faraway galaxy wielding weapons beyond our comprehension and zapped the planet into nonexistance.

Given the recent spate of natural disasters and climate change, I can't blame them for jumping onto a myth to explain it.

Another one, albeit less funny:

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/mgr/lowres/mgrn28l.jpg
johnmerz
johnmerz
536 posts
Shepherd

lol This topic has been done to death already. Another Doomsday/Apocalyptic thready? Really?

Oh, and I agree with pickpocket that we honestly don't know when the world will end.

xNightwish
xNightwish
1,608 posts
Nomad

Why is everyone saying that 2012 is fake. We aren't even talking about 2012, we are talking about End of the world, which will happen, someday.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Why is everyone saying that 2012 is fake. We aren't even talking about 2012, we are talking about End of the world, which will happen, someday.

Maybe it's because the OP is asking about the 2012 End of the World Prediction and not whether the world will eventually end?

The numbers 2012 is not unfamiliar to us...It's already December of this year and it's the so called "end of the world" next year according the the Mayans and Nostradamus...

Who believes it's going to be the end of the world and if it really is...what will all of you do?
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

Nah, good ol' Terra is going to last at least a few more millenniums, if not more.
Either humans are going to mess up everything, or Sol will get too old and go supernovae on us. I have a feeling the first option is going to happen, but alas, that's yet to be discovered

cornholiobungholio
cornholiobungholio
122 posts
Nomad

I don't see why or how the world is going to magically end on that date. I've seen the movie and the world explodes lava for no reason.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

^
^
^
exactly
it probably wont, but if it does, and if i knew that it would, i would doing everything i was afraid of doing before. cauz if the world end well, your dead anyway

CabzIndustries
CabzIndustries
35 posts
Nomad

I think the world will eventually end when our sun burns up and becomes a red giant destroying the earth

Spetsnaz2077
Spetsnaz2077
4 posts
Nomad

Why would the Mayans or Nostradamus be right about the end of the world? How would they know? Also, the Mayans never actually predicted the end of the world, that's just a misconception.

Showing 1-15 of 158