ForumsThe TavernEnd of the World...is it going to happen?

158 24406
TheDracomancer
TheDracomancer
56 posts
Farmer

The numbers 2012 is not unfamiliar to us...It's already December of this year and it's the so called "end of the world" next year according the the Mayans and Nostradamus...

Who believes it's going to be the end of the world and if it really is...what will all of you do?

• 158 Replies
1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

Someday it will...

But not 2012. Who believes that?

stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

But not 2012. Who believes that?
What? I quit my job for nothing? Just kidding. But that sucks. I was so sure the world was going to end on 2012, I didn't study for the test. ****.
cornholiobungholio
cornholiobungholio
122 posts
Nomad

Really...think about it...by the time our world ends we would've already colonizied more planets so if Earth dies, which it eventually will, it won't matter as much. It will be like...losing Pluto as a planet Play any game set 100 years in the future and more colonizied planets.

notataco
notataco
189 posts
Nomad

Well considering the fact that theories for life on other planets is at a minumum and that the nearest earth like planets are millions of light years away i dont see any planets being colonized unless the sun doesnt die out for close to an infinite amount of years

devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

2012 is just something to keep the conspiracy theorists content for a while. Once it passes, they'll move on to the next thing. I am actually anticipating that date just so all the sane people can say I told you so.

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,710 posts
Blacksmith

Really...think about it...by the time our world ends we would've already colonizied more planets so if Earth dies, which it eventually will, it won't matter as much. It will be like...losing Pluto as a planet Play any game set 100 years in the future and more colonizied planets.

Well considering the fact that theories for life on other planets is at a minumum and that the nearest earth like planets are millions of light years away i dont see any planets being colonized unless the sun doesnt die out for close to an infinite amount of years

i heared they found a twin of "our" planet earth.

jroyster22
jroyster22
755 posts
Peasant

Time tells all. We won't know until it happens!

_DC_
_DC_
17 posts
Nomad

he Mayan calender just recycles on 2012. Additionally the Mayans studied the stars and followed certain ones to make calenders , so there would be no way to figure when our world will end by looking at other planets and stars.

AequitasBU
AequitasBU
112 posts
Nomad

No, even NASA has released a video disproving all the top theories.

madodo
madodo
7 posts
Nomad

Only God now when the end will come

rick073
rick073
2,754 posts
Peasant

ok. i do not believe any of this, i do not believe that the world will end just because the mayan calendar ends. the world will end because we are absolutely s***ing on it right now. either that or the sun goes out...

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

There was actually this pretty cool article in "Discover" magazine about what to do to survive until the end of the UNIVERSE! First, they have to survive a bunch of Ice Ages and a couple giant asteroid strikes. In a billion years the Sun will get 10% hotter and boil away the oceans and the atmosphere and making the temperature above 700 degrees F. By that time we should have been able to move to Mars (Past the satellites and stars/They're moving us to Mars) We could make the move early by terraforming it by shooting a bunch of greenhouse gasses into it, making an atmosphere and melting the ice caps there. In a billion years, we'll probably be able to do stuff like that, and make a spaceship to go there quickly. In another 4.5 billion years the Sun will red giantatize, and we'll have to move again, probably to Europa, a moon of Jupiter. (Remember, the Sun will be getting hotter, so anywhere really cold now won't be later.) Then Titan, a moon of Saturn with an atmosphere.
thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

Durn it!! Pressed the Submit button by accident.

After the Sun gets too hot and heats up all the planets in the solar system to unlivable temperatures, (including Pluto!) hopefully we'd have been able to invent spaceships with fusion or "matter/anti-matter annihilation" engines. (Come on, 5 billion years is more than enough time!) We have found a lot of earth-sized planets orbiting stars. If we find some orbiting red dwarfs, (most common star!) we could live there for trillions, TRILLIONS, of years. But, after about 100 trillion years, all the red dwarfs will be dead. Then we'll have to live because of brown dwarfs, "balls of hydrogen too massive to be considered planets but that never achieved the heft to become full-fledged stars." When they collide, (and they do) the basically make a new star. We could live off them for another "10 billion billion years" (the double is intentional, I think). We might even be able to create new stars! Another thing is we could figure out how to harvest energy from dead stars, especially neutron stars, the collapsed bit of giant stars. We could go on of almost forever. And after that we could figure out how to mine energy from black holes...

...BUT...

There is a huge problem. DARK ENERGY! Basically it makes the Universe expand, pushing the galaxies REALLY far away from each other. In a 100 billion years, before all that galaxy hopping and trillions of years, and brown dwarfs and stuff, the distance between galaxies would be too far to span, and we'd have to make to with only the energy and stars/dwarfs in the one galaxy. Called the Big Chill, apparently. We'd die out eventually... After that the matter in the universe would get sucked up by black holes and then after 10^100 years (aka "really long&quot black holes would disappear and it'd be an empty universe....

...BUT...

Something worse could happen. In only 20 billion years dark energy could get more powerful, making its presence known on even smaller things like PLANETS! It would start tearing apart galaxies, then stars, then planets, then ATOMS!!! Then (as in every sci-fi movie) THE VERY FABRIC OF SPACE-TIME!!!! And we'd all die. But scientists don't know which one of those will happen, if they even happen at all...

...BUT...

If it's a Big Chill, we'd have 10,000,000,000,000,000,000 years to find out how to escape the universe and get to another one. Scientists believe that there could be 10^500 more universes out there (apparently "according to string theory&quot We could make wormholes and go around those universes for like infinity minus one years.

(This is all from the Discover magazine btw)

Of course all of that happening depends on humanity not screwing itself over in the next 200 years or so, and since the chances of that look less likely that any of that wormhole stuff, I'd say we're pretty much screwed.

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

Oh yeah, and I used to TD;LR, then I took an arrow to the knee.

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

Wow, today is a fail day. TL;DR*

Anyone believe any of that stuff thaboss just wrote is possible?

(Sorry for the quadruple post!!)

Showing 16-30 of 158