ForumsThe TavernDo you think being a mod would sound fun?

212 24449
invalid777
invalid777
2,074 posts
Nomad

Well, okay. You know that there are those people who spam the site (Don't comment on that, Cen). You know tere are people who are always yelling at the mods, etc. But is it really that bad? You still get to have a fun time on ArmorGames, and the users who use AG well respect them. So do you think it's really that bad?

• 212 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Having to give up time out of your life to deal with children on the Internet doesn't sound all that fun. But I guess if you really like AG then you wouldn't mind that much. I suppose that's why all of them accepted it.

auggy2627liveca
auggy2627liveca
347 posts
Shepherd

Well no one really knows except the mods. All I know if I were asked to be a mod I wouldn't accept. You have to give up a lot of time to be on AG, and they don't even get paid. They're also seen sometimes as 'bad people or party poopers' because they lock up topics and ban people. Only certain people can be mods.

EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

I used to want to be a mod, then I took an arrow to the knee...

Seriously though, I used to want to be a mod. At this point, however, not only is it not possible, but the job is significantly less fun than it sounds. I don't feel like cleaning up people's **** because they feel like being retarded. Too much work, too much responsibility.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

You have to wake up at 5:00AM to the alert of advertisement bots terrorizing the game comments due to the alarm implant wedged between your tympanic membrane, take cold showers, eat cold cereal that isn't Reeses Puffs, do the daily cleaning of Raze2 and Shell Shock Live comments after you're done, which by the way I haven't done half of yet so thanks for reminding me, 8:00AM exercises, 9:00AM Arts and Crafts, attend Strop's Ninja Tips for Aspiring Moderators, watch the forums from 10:30 to 12:00, eat cold lunch that isn't a smoked ham sandwich, clean out Nemo's pen, rescue Aquaman, lecture Aquaman, continue your daily moderator maintaining routine (mine in which case would be keeping my beard sexy and intact before sharpening my weapons), answer questions and/or continue to watch the forums from 2:00-4:00, rescue Aquaman, punch Aquaman, attend ArmorGames Beta class from 5:00 to 7:00, eat hot soup, and then freetime, depending on which time zone you belong to.

No, being a moderator is not fun, rather it consists of strenuous monotony. We still do it anyways because we like you. For some reason.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Who....in..the world is Aquaman!

Pois0nArr0w
Pois0nArr0w
2,053 posts
Nomad

He's one link up from the bottom of the superhero food chain.

The bottom is Captain Planet.

Alexistigerspice
Alexistigerspice
1,502 posts
Farmer

I think it would be fun being a mod. I'm already on here as often as I can be and I love this site more than ANY other one on the interwebz. As a mod I would probably enjoy it even more knowing I could help get rid of spam/ spammers and such.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

I wouldn't mind being a mod, but you'd constantly be nagged to solve this problem and that problem not to mention you'd be frowned upon if you left AG like Asherlee did. I'd rather not. Twould be even worse to be an Admin! Then you'd have to solve site problems and ads and lots of other annoying, once-seemed-trivial things.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

honestly, i woudlnt want to be a mod XD

i dont like responsibility and i dont care about this site THAT much XP

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

I would hate being a mod. Constantly getting messages about spam. People in the support and suggestions asking a question that has been answered 50,000 times. Cleaning out tons of spam from the games. It would be too much work and I am too lazy.

Twould be even worse to be an Admin!

At least they don't have to hunt down spam. I would rather be an Admin then a mod.
stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

I think it would be fun being a mod. I'm already on here as often as I can be and I love this site more than ANY other one on the interwebz. As a mod I would probably enjoy it even more knowing I could help get rid of spam/ spammers and such.
Haha, Alexis, I would love it, too, but seeing as my family likes to take "bonding trips" all the time for no reason, I wouldn't be on lots of times.
invalid777
invalid777
2,074 posts
Nomad

Who....in..the world is Aquaman!

The ruler of the rectangles.

~

I think what Cen is doing is actually pretty good; closing down his messenger and staying in the forums more. That might work out better with most of the mods.

Problem is, now Frank has to be one of the mods who leaves his messenger open. . .

As a mod I would probably enjoy it even more knowing I could help get rid of spam/ spammers and such.

And calling them "Spammy spam spam in a spam can". . .

I, personally, would probably enjoy being a mod. After all, you get to ban users for not behaving like civilized humans.

Or maybe it's just that Cen always does that to me.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Whatever Cen does, he probably has a good reason, and he's not the type to randomly do someone in even when he's that stressed.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Hey, haven't banned you yet, Invalid.

I have to say it is fun to be a mod. Then when people have stopped congratulating you (I think that took a good five minutes, people were never that interested in me), you realise what you said yes to.
Not to mention the mean look of the other mods as they take forth those pants made of ham and makes you run through the woods.
Not to mention that while people think we just press a button to delete a message or give a merit, we are actually out, naked, on a field, swinging a semi dead cat above our head and praying to the dark lord of moderation (or in Frank's case, usually the dwarfish overlord of manner and proper reward), which generally gives us a really bad reputation in the area where we live (unless you are Strop, then it is just a reputation).

In a more serious tone (but not much), it's not easy being green. Uh. Moderator. There is a reason most sane moderators take a hiatus for a year, or stop doing mod jobs besides little things every once in a while.
To go by this with quotes:

You still get to have a fun time on ArmorGames

No. Besides one game while I was writing my assignment, I rarely play flash games anymore. I hadn't written a game comment for over two years by then.
As for the forums, apparently the blue text disables you ability to make jokes as well.

the users who use AG well respect them

Rarely.
It's not respect, it is either fear, some sort of distant friendship or being looked down upon. I have yet to see anything else. Mods usually respect each other, but from there on, not much.

they don't even get paid

The admins feed us dried fish and stale milk.

I used to want to be a mod, then I took an arrow to the knee...

"I used to want to be a moderator, but then I came to my senses".

eat hot soup

Wait, you get hot soup??!

As a mod I would probably enjoy it even more knowing I could help get rid of spam/ spammers and such.

"Hi guys, I have just banned fifteen spammers and advertisers and cleaned all the spam from this new game!"
"Are you sure, there are three pages of spam on that game, and the users are complaining about the advertisers being everywhere and no one doing anything about them."
"Darn it to heck."

you'd be frowned upon if you left AG like Asherlee did

I doubt anyone is frowning upon Asherlee taking a hiatus. It is probably the more sane of the moves, and she already had a while of moderating under her belt.

Constantly getting messages about spam.

Two things on this:
Either you get annoyed you don't get enough reports when you are online.
Or.
You get annoyed that users are reporting stuff you take care of easily before even going to your comments, because it is easy to spot.

People in the support and suggestions asking a question that has been answered 50,000 times.

Not to mention people trying to help by linking to the help page instead of the FAQ thread. The help page isn't helpful.

I would rather be an Admin then a mod.

Apparently there is no such thing as promotion, even if we currently need an active community admin.
Also, I am sure the pay is better.

I think what Cen is doing is actually pretty good; closing down his messenger and staying in the forums more. That might work out better with most of the mods.

It is better for me, at least.
With the comments open, I got progressively more annoyed (and thus more snarky, mean spirited and likely to snap at people that might perhaps deserve it, but shouldn't be snapped at anyway). This way, I just pretend I am actually taking a break, while still doing the same thing I usually do.
Apparently my brain is easy to cheat.

After all, you get to ban users for not behaving like civilized humans.

Sadly not the case.
We can ban people for breaking the rules, but sadly not being a civilised human being is only grounds for a warning.

Or maybe it's just that Cen always does that to me.

Nah, I just frown upon your ability to come up with something that is outrageous or insulting, no matter how helpful the rest of what you are writing might be.
Not to mention going to my art thread and commenting on the first short post I have made in half a year gives negative brownie points.

Whatever Cen does, he probably has a good reason, and he's not the type to randomly do someone in even when he's that stressed.

However tempting that might be.
Nemo generally considers me too soft, because I would rather use days on explaining the rules to someone than just banning them and get it over with.

Either way, long post is not very short.
Might as well take this opportunity to mention my apprentice/intern ship next semester, which might very well mean my motivation to log on here will be quite low for that period of time, at least in regards of active moderator duty.
Not that I think any of you will miss me, but it just gives me further reason to keep my comments closed, ahaha.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

You can't really make more friends if you keep your comments locked right?

Showing 1-15 of 212