ForumsThe TavernIs black a colour?

115 18635
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

It's argued that black is not a colour, it is the absence of colour.

But if I go to buy a new car, I don't ask for a car that is absent of colour do I? I ask for a black car.

So which is it, is black a colour or not?

• 115 Replies
awesomeplayer312
awesomeplayer312
187 posts
Nomad

Let's just say its a color or a shade of color or something.

TheGr8est
TheGr8est
703 posts
Nomad

If you look at it technially, its a color just like any other.
But if you look at it literally, its not because

It's a proven scientific fact that black is the absence of light, not a color.

Since there is reason for arguement from both ends, it causes a paradox, and that is why the person that started this forum decided to use the "color" black, and not orange or brown (which, I actually think, should be banned from being colors for the sheer fact that they blind my eyes).
CheapCheep
CheapCheep
240 posts
Nomad

Is black a color?!?

That's like asking if mayonaise is an instument!!!

LOL Just kidding, I love the color black.
>_<

phsyco123
phsyco123
64 posts
Nomad

no black is not an actual color but people reefer and use it as one

Salcin
Salcin
26 posts
Peasant

Black is a colour, why should it not be that? The world are full of differents colours that we use to make all humans on this planet happy what they see. If everything was grey no would be happy, just one boring colour. My favorite colours are grey and blue.

superbob111
superbob111
465 posts
Nomad

if u say black isn't cuz its a mix of color then ur wrong
that means yellow grenn isn't a color

victor520
victor520
39 posts
Peasant

Yeah, I agree. Black is a color because it is a mix of all the other colors. Also other colors are mixes of other colors too. So if they are considered colors, then why can't black be considered a color too?

gbnxc
gbnxc
190 posts
Nomad

I dont think its a color.. its more lack of color just like darkness is defined as the absence of light

McSwagga
McSwagga
52 posts
Nomad

black and white are not colors...well,they are but black has all the colors and white is absence of color

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

The TRUE answer to this question is that yes, black is a color in our planet through our eyes. Just because it is the absence of light scientifically does not make it somehow not a color, we see that absence as its own color, just like any other color.

Just as it annoyed me when in some "scholarly book" it said how you don't read the black text on the page, you read the white around it, because black is the absence of light or something like that. Of course I read the text on the page!

Rhodes1013
Rhodes1013
98 posts
Nomad

black is a shade of color so call it a color or not just spell color right its color not colour

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

black is a shade of color so call it a color or not just spell color right its color not colour

The spelling given in the title is not wrong, it's British. Therefore, do not be a nationalist. At least you are also correct in spelling it color (which is the way I spell it).

The TRUE answer to this question is that yes, black is a color in our planet through our eyes. Just because it is the absence of light scientifically does not make it somehow not a color, we see that absence as its own color, just like any other color.

Just as it annoyed me when in some "scholarly book" it said how you don't read the black text on the page, you read the white around it, because black is the absence of light or something like that. Of course I read the text on the page!

You're thinking everyday black. The black that is scientifically not a color is true black.

I've posted my opinion with reasons before, but I'll post it again for those who won't read the whole thread:

Everyday black is a color. True black is not a color and is only thought of when thinking scientifically.
1zth
1zth
192 posts
Nomad

what is wrong with u guys of course its a color

2TheMan
2TheMan
3 posts
Peasant

The wikipedia says

Black is the color of objects that do not emit or reflect light in any part of the visible spectrum; they absorb all such frequencies of light. Although black is sometimes described as an "achromatic", or hueless, color, in practice it can be considered a color, as in expressions like "black cat" or "black paint".

So black in practice is a color!
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

*sigh* It has been mentioned multiple times in this thread, apparently without success... here goes nothing.

As Patrick2011 said just before, there are two ways to look at the problem, so you cannot simply say that it is a colour or not as it depends from the viewpoint.

Additive colours: If we handle colours as light, then black is not a colour and white is the sum of all colours. This is simply due because of the wavelength property of light, where black is the absence of light and the addition of all specific colour wavelengths result in white light. Just physics.

Subtractive colours: This is the more artistic perspective. Black dyes, paints etc. are clearly colours, simply extremely pigmented colours. Here black is the addition of all paints and white is the absence of pigments.

Technically, you don't "read" the white of the page but it is still the only thing you see. You read the small figures that are formed by the circumjacent white. Our brain is able to recognize those figures indirectly, without actually "seeing" them.
Showing 76-90 of 115