ForumsThe TavernIs black a colour?

115 18632
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

It's argued that black is not a colour, it is the absence of colour.

But if I go to buy a new car, I don't ask for a car that is absent of colour do I? I ask for a black car.

So which is it, is black a colour or not?

• 115 Replies
soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

Everyday black is a color. True black is not a color and is only thought of when thinking scientifically.

Ah I was thinking of terms in everyday black.

It's funny how that was bolded in black.
awesomeplayer312
awesomeplayer312
187 posts
Nomad

Well yea its a color.Or u could say its a shade of a color.

awesomeplayer312
awesomeplayer312
187 posts
Nomad

Well yea its a color.Or u could say its a shade of a color.

BritHennerz
BritHennerz
408 posts
Farmer

According to science, black is not a colour. Light forms all colours and as black is the absence of light then it is also the absence of colour and therefore not a colour.

But to a designer or artists, black is a colour and is made from lots of different colours added together so in the same way it is the absence of colour and loads of colour at the same time.

JoshTheBoss
JoshTheBoss
417 posts
Nomad

The end all argument: Learn physics. Keywords: Light and pigment.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Scientifically, black is not a color, but as the absence of light reflecting off the material's surface. In other words, black things absorb light, while all of the other colors reflect light, each at a different frequency/wavelength.

Artistically, black is merely the number 1 shade on the universal scale. In other words, the darkest any color can get.

By these terms, black is not a color. Only in lehmen terms is it a color.

warriorcats123
warriorcats123
694 posts
Nomad

phhft pitiful humans of course black is a color just barely on your spectrum in our spectum black is in the middle of color at the end of your color but then after that comes glowing version glowing black is a blacker than black black

Xavierthe9
Xavierthe9
155 posts
Farmer

well... i always thought it was a color.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

OMG this is even more crazy than Is clear a color thread umm yea its a color look it up

Sauron23
Sauron23
275 posts
Peasant

Technically no, but many people refer to it as a color.

Volltagge
Volltagge
26 posts
Nomad

Yes it is a color. There's a differance between dark and black ... If it's not a color then the mixture of all colours is called what ?

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

Yes it is a color. There's a differance between dark and black ... If it's not a color then the mixture of all colours is called what ?

You're thinking paint. In light, the mixture of all colors is called white.
Volltagge
Volltagge
26 posts
Nomad

You're thinking paint. In light, the mixture of all colors is called white.

In light the mixture of all colours is transparent and it cant be seen, it can be proven with the rainbow (reflection of the on the rain for example), but white is a colour and can be seen. So is black, not dark (the opposite of light in this case). Mix whatever colours you want in the end you will get "black" not "light". And no I'm not talking about paint, but you on the other hand are talking about "white in light (whatever that means)" , which you cant get whatever colours you mix ...
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

@Volltagge: I think you're misinformed. This post contains answers and links.

Volltagge
Volltagge
26 posts
Nomad

@Volltagge: I think you're misinformed. This post contains answers and links.

Touche
Showing 91-105 of 115