ForumsWEPRAfter Death?

101 19741
Santi_
Santi_
1,900 posts
Nomad

Well, what I want to know is what people think think will happen after they die. Do you believe heaven and hell, an endless limbo, reincarnation, etc.?

• 101 Replies
loco5
loco5
16,287 posts
Peasant

well what happens after you die is that you rot and then you feed the plants, and then you leave a pretty, white, skeleton.

anything else?

devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

loco why are you so naive? you feed the WORMS first. then the plants. :P My skeleton will probably be prettier than all of yours. It...will.....SHINE!
But yeah, you die. period. But the one I wouldn't want to be in would be limbo. That would suck.

Santi_
Santi_
1,900 posts
Nomad

Um, intersesting? Good job going for the creepy factor, I guess

DairyHick
DairyHick
134 posts
Nomad

I will fly through a very narrow and smelly corridor. At the end I will meet Gandalf the White and Yoda the Green Midget. There I will learn the ways of the force and I will be reborn on earth as a turtle.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Our consciousness and everything that makes us, us consists of the various function of our brain. We can even change the "us" by changing the brain. Sp if the brain stops functioning the "us" will no longer exist as what is generating the "us" is no longer generating it.

Like how you have a program on a harddrive. If we were to break that hardrive changing the part that makes up that program, that program will no longer exist.

I recently watched this video on consciousness and the brain.
Steven Novella, M.D. at The Amaz!ng Meeting 6

stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

I will fly through a very narrow and smelly corridor. At the end I will meet Gandalf the White and Yoda the Green Midget. There I will learn the ways of the force and I will be reborn on earth as a turtle.
That's very... creative. Anywho, I think that when you die, you die.
DairyHick
DairyHick
134 posts
Nomad

Our consciousness and everything that makes us, us consists of the various function of our brain. We can even change the "us" by changing the brain. Sp if the brain stops functioning the "us" will no longer exist as what is generating the "us" is no longer generating it.

Like how you have a program on a harddrive. If we were to break that hardrive changing the part that makes up that program, that program will no longer exist.

This of course is a mere theory that attempts to explain the link between human consciousness and its brain.
Darktroop07
Darktroop07
3,592 posts
Shepherd

This of course is a mere theory that attempts to explain the link between human consciousness and its brain.

I think Mage wins the topic cause the theory is actually backed up by proof meanwhile the idea of an afterlife no back-up info their.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

As pointed out in the video the arguments for dualism are practically in the same vein as the arguments for creationism. In fact look at your own sentence, How many times has the words "only a theory" been used as if it denounces evolution. Your doing the same thing here with the link between the brain and consciousness.
DairyHick
DairyHick
134 posts
Nomad

I think Mage wins the topic cause the theory is actually backed up by proof meanwhile the idea of an afterlife no back-up info their.

First of all I have yet to see proof that has been generally accepted by the community on this. If you have a link or anything that could clear this up then please don't hesitate to show me.

Secondly, I am by no means supporting the theory of an afterlife. I simply don't want to see this thread come to a dead after only looking at a fraction of the question itself.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

I think one would be reincarnated, perhaps as an animal, perhaps not even on earth. Of course, man invented the idea of the afterlife or reincarnation because man didn't want to consider the alternative;
NOTHING AT ALL
Absolutely nothing, no awareness OF nothing. What could be worse?

DairyHick
DairyHick
134 posts
Nomad

NOTHING AT ALL

This is perhaps the right answer. It is most definitely the answer that I personally believe in.

I just like to point out other theories that have been appointed by the community. "limbo, reincarnation ect.." I would gladly discuss these topics with anyone.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

First of all I have yet to see proof that has been generally accepted by the community on this. If you have a link or anything that could clear this up then please don't hesitate to show me.

What sort of evidence would you accept?
DairyHick
DairyHick
134 posts
Nomad

What sort of evidence would you accept?

I'm sorry but I would rather not get into this question as evidence is very subjective.

After all its evidence, it acts as a mere phenomena that doesn't disprove the statement. For example, A person has sampled over 10 millions crows, noticing that they are all black he therefore makes a statement saying that all crows are black. This might still be wrong as the 10 million and ones crow he samples might be white. This also works vice versa. As a person might only see a single while swan and thus boldly concludes that all swans are white, whereas this might be true.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

I'm sorry but I would rather not get into this question as evidence is very subjective.

So basically you would deny what ever I presented you? And no evidence is not oh so subjective.
With your example while the conclusion that "all crows are black" could be wrong, (which science leaves room for that to happen) the evidence is still there that crows are black and that is not a subjective finding. If at some future point a further discovery is made of a non black crow we can then use that evidence and adjust our finding to say most or some crows are black instead. The evidence that crows are black is not subjective in this matter and has not gone away.
Showing 1-15 of 101