ForumsWEPRAfter Death?

101 19736
Santi_
Santi_
1,900 posts
Nomad

Well, what I want to know is what people think think will happen after they die. Do you believe heaven and hell, an endless limbo, reincarnation, etc.?

• 101 Replies
DairyHick
DairyHick
134 posts
Nomad

humans are 1 of the apes

That is only of course If you are a firm believer in the Charles Darwin's theory of evolution. However, saying that Humans are apes would be like saying that zebras are horses". <--- In terms of evolution (Ceteris paribus of course).

Death is the end us. The notion that you even have a spirit that is separate from your material being does not make scientific sense

Please don't generalize what doesn't make sense to you as "the scientific community". Does it make sense that one object can be in multiple locations at once? <-- (quantum mechanics) Does it make sense that as we travel faster, time slows down?? <--- (General relativity).
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

That is only of course If you are a firm believer in the Charles Darwin's theory of evolution. However, saying that Humans are apes would be like saying that zebras are horses". <--- In terms of evolution (Ceteris paribus of course).

Actually, it is part of the classification. It would be more like saying "A Robin is a bird".

Please don't generalize what doesn't make sense to you as "the scientific community". Does it make sense that one object can be in multiple locations at once? <-- (quantum mechanics) Does it make sense that as we travel faster, time slows down?? <--- (General relativity).

Those at least have mathematical backing. Does your hypothesis have any mathematical backing?

Your visit of Yoda and the others make just as much since as there being a soal, highly unlikely.
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,487 posts
Blacksmith

What? Wouldn't life after death make everything you did useless?

depends on if you did useless things, like making stupid comparisons between religion and beer (yes I still remember that)

Alright, lets go to reality, the world without a life after death. Lets say you saved an orphanage on fire, saving a hundred people. In the real world, that is saving a hundred people's lives. You would make a lasting impact.

after death, you will be rewarded for it. if there is nothing after death, then the belief that what you did was useless could also apply.

Nothing you do is permanent. Shoot the Nazi commander in the head? Pointless, he is just laughing at you now.

you ended his crusade before things got worse, that counts for a lot. besides, he may be laughing now, but you get the last laugh when you see him burning for it.

When nothing is set, what is the point of life?

it means the pains you experienced in this life can be relieved in the next. what you said could also apply to no afterlife by saying, "If there is nothing that will reward you for your service in life, then what's the point of living?"

Unless of course you do something with your life. Even just having a child would allow your legacy to go on...

the legacy will only continue until your line has ended. if there is an afterlife, then your legacy lives forever. who wouldn't want that?

I have no fear of death, though I would dislike dieing and quite enjoy living.

try saying that when you have to knock on his door, then I will believe that.

Does it matter what is after death? Only if you let it effect your life. There is nothing after death, why should that matter?

it's kinda like a failsafe, if theres nothing after death, then you can thank your religion for preventing you from doing anything stupid. if there is, then the guy who didn't believe will get his punishment for doing anything that was bad, and there will be nobody to blame but himself.

that is my reply. feel free to oppose.

-Blade
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

If there's a death, what's the point of life if everything you've done no longer matters? You may have revolutionized science, only to die and have that deed made useless to you. Also, even if there's no afterlife, people need to believe that there is something better than this world. This petty, corrupt with it's murderous inhabitants. And what will you do when Death comes to collect? Perhaps your lying, shot, in an alleyway, no possible help, about to die, and you have nowhere to go afterwards. You may think t unfair that you had to die, but had you believed in an afterlife, at least you'd have somewhere to go. Instead, you lie in an increasing puddle of your own blood, all your deeds laid bare, and for what?

DairyHick
DairyHick
134 posts
Nomad

Those at least have mathematical backing. Does your hypothesis have any mathematical backing?

and what would by my hypothesis? that's right I have none. I simply like to explore the alternatives. :P

Your visit of Yoda and the others make just as much since as there being a soal, highly unlikely.

huh????
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

depends on if you did useless things, like making stupid comparisons between religion and beer (yes I still remember that)

It was an accurate comparison and I stand by it, no matter how much it offends the beer to be brought down to that level.

after death, you will be rewarded for it. if there is nothing after death, then the belief that what you did was useless could also apply.

Rewarded? No modern religion rewards you based on how you live. They just "reward" you based on what you believe. Even if you did get rewarded, then wouldn't it all be pointless? Back to the saving the orphanage, what if sending them into the afterlife would give them a better "life"? Would it not only be futile to save an immortal life, but actually a negative thing?

you ended his crusade before things got worse, that counts for a lot. besides, he may be laughing now, but you get the last laugh when you see him burning for it.

Worse? Worse for what? Causing finite harm? Sending people to paradise? Nothing he did would amount to anything, either.

And wouldn't it be sadistic to watch him burn? I can understand killing someone in a godless world, ending what they would do, but when their is an afterlife everything he did was pointless, what harm would he do?

Why would there be a hell? Does even a Nazi, who did finite crimes, deserve to be tortured literally forever?

it means the pains you experienced in this life can be relieved in the next. what you said could also apply to no afterlife by saying, "If there is nothing that will reward you for your service in life, then what's the point of living?"

Do you do nothing unless you think you will receive a reward? Do you have no altruism in you?

So lets say you save the orphanage and don't get any credit, in this life or the next. Would it matter? Would you say "Screw this, I am not savin' no orphans unless someone pays me!" while watching them burn?

the legacy will only continue until your line has ended. if there is an afterlife, then your legacy lives forever. who wouldn't want that?

Want what? Everything you did in your life would be futile. Everything you did in the afterlife would be even more futile. Would you rather leave a long, futile, legacy, or a short and fulfilling one?

try saying that when you have to knock on his door, then I will believe that.

Many people have, why should I not be one of them? My time won't come for a while, and I am sure you won't know when it happens, but I will be sure to take it like a man. Dieing is frightening, the whole reason fear was put in was to keep you from dieing. Death, however? It is only as scary as the day before you where born.

it's kinda like a failsafe, if theres nothing after death, then you can thank your religion for preventing you from doing anything stupid.

You mean like running into a communications center with a bomb? Or shooting up an abortion center? Religion seems to cause a lot more stupid things than it prevents.

if there is, then the guy who didn't believe will get his punishment for doing anything that was bad, and there will be nobody to blame but himself.

Do you only do anything you do for these selfish reasons? "I only help if I get rewarded. The only reason I don't do bad is because I am afraid of punishment" is something someone who doesn't deserve an afterlife would say.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

It is a fact, among the modern scientific community, that homo sapiens is to be classified among the African great apes. And if a single white crow would be found, it would simply be qualified as a crow with a pigment disfunction. If however an established population of white crows would be found that significantly differs genetically from the originating black crow populations, it could be seen as a different crow species. For as far as I know, 'crow' is not a scientifically correct species name.

Now what does all this have to do with a possible afterlife?

If there's a death, what's the point of life if everything you've done no longer matters?

Why must there be a point to everything? I personally think it's great that there's no set goal, no objective point to eevryone's life, since it enables us to decide about our own personal goals in life; we can do what we want because we're not forced to fulfill any kind of destiny.
You may have revolutionized science, only to die and have that deed made useless to you.

It can be of use to the next generations, who might be able to enjoy their lives more thanks to you. And life is to be enjoyed even more sicne it's the only one.
Also, even if there's no afterlife, people need to believe that there is something better than this world. This petty, corrupt with it's murderous inhabitants.

This apathetic attitude is exactly what leads to this petty, corrupt world. If noone cares for this life, who will change it? Noone, since they'd all just wait for the next to be better. Think again.

And what will you do when Death comes to collect? Perhaps your lying, shot, in an alleyway, no possible help, about to die, and you have nowhere to go afterwards. You may think t unfair that you had to die, but had you believed in an afterlife, at least you'd have somewhere to go. Instead, you lie in an increasing puddle of your own blood, all your deeds laid bare, and for what?

Sh*t happens? Anyway, are you implying that the mere fact of believing in an afterlfie grants you access to one while those who didn't won't ("but had you believed in an afterlife, at least you'd have somewhere to go.")?
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Why not? Why should some fool who likes to pick at people's beliefs be allotted a better world after death? Also, if you keep going on about not doing things for rewards, that is one of the main ideas of religion, yet you go to disprove it. Try fighting on your side, it works better.
I'm sure you wouldn't be so high and mighty if you were stuck with a fatal disease, or a bullet in the chest, a knife wound, a broken neck (not gonna survive that). You'd probably just be regretting your petty, disproving lifestyle, trying to put down people's beliefs because it made you feel better.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Why not? Why should some fool who likes to pick at people's beliefs be allotted a better world after death?

Um, that wasn't my point.....?

Also, if you keep going on about not doing things for rewards, that is one of the main ideas of religion, yet you go to disprove it. Try fighting on your side, it works better.

What I said, I think, is actually more in line with "you set your own personal rewards", contrary to believing some kind old man will reward you and everyone else for godknowswhat.
And every religion that believes in an afterlife cannot be taken seriously when saying they don't do anything for the reward...

I'm sure you wouldn't be so high and mighty if you were stuck with a fatal disease, or a bullet in the chest, a knife wound, a broken neck (not gonna survive that). You'd probably just be regretting your petty, disproving lifestyle, trying to put down people's beliefs because it made you feel better.

Hah I'd have doubts, and probably would wish there was something. But as much as I may wish there was one, in any situation, I will always know there is none. Take it or leave it. I'm not saying it's bad to believe in an afterlife, just don't despise this life here, as, sadly, some religions seem to do.

Oh, and... how dare you assume my lifestyle is petty? Impertinent little.. why, sorry. It's my fault^^ sorry I have angered you.
Santi_
Santi_
1,900 posts
Nomad

Listen, guys, I started this post just wondering what people think of this topic. I don't want everybody at each other proving the existence of an afterlife, asking for the mathmatical backing of a consiounsness being seperated from ones body, or trying so hard to disprove another person's theory because of evolution...? Seriously. Please, I enjoy the funny comments, especially about the the "green midget". So just enjoy, I guess it's impossible to stop a comment war, but I'm just trying to make peace. I believe in reincarnation and a heaven. For me there's a heaven, if your good, you can stay there, and you can go back to this world anytime you want, if your bad, well, you come back in here with not a lot of wealth, possibly bad health, and a few issues. So enjoy this, just don't try to kill each other is what I'm saying. Then again, not the best to post on my own thread, but, I'm probably not the most regular person. Thanks for your comments and, hopefully, for reading this long comment.
-Santi_

Santi_
Santi_
1,900 posts
Nomad

No offense to anyone.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

If there's a death, what's the point of life if everything you've done no longer matters?

It matters, just not to you. It would be selfish to say that if you cured cancer, it wouldn't matter when your dead since it didn't get you anything.

You may have revolutionized science, only to die and have that deed made useless to you

"Useless to you"? I suppose if your some selfish ******* who only does anything in the hopes of getting something, then you would get nothing. It is more about the people and things you leave behind.

. Also, even if there's no afterlife, people need to believe that there is something better than this world. This petty, corrupt with it's murderous inhabitants.

What world are you living on? This world is buetiful. Especially for me and you, the relatively rich people who can afford to spend time on machines like this.

And what will you do when Death comes to collect? Perhaps your lying, shot, in an alleyway, no possible help, about to die, and you have nowhere to go afterwards.

So be it. It would be impressive for me to get shot in the only alleyway we haven't turned into a park yet, in a town with like five people. I would die, with only the decent life I left behind as a legacy.

You may think t unfair that you had to die, but had you believed in an afterlife, at least you'd have somewhere to go

You mean somewhere to pretend to go? I don't it would help as much to yell "IMAGOINAHEAVEN" over and over in your head until you die. Believing in a god wouldn't help much when you are at death's doorstep, and I assume I wouldn't have much to think other than "WOWWOWOWOW THIS HURTS!" if I had gotten shot and left to die in an alleyway.

Instead, you lie in an increasing puddle of your own blood, all your deeds laid bare, and for what?

For your wife, kids, neighbors, and humanity in general? You act as if once you are dead, the rest of humanity just stops with you.

Why not? Why should some fool who likes to pick at people's beliefs be allotted a better world after death?

Why would some greedy coward afraid of death and wanting rewards deserve a "better world" after death?

Also, if you keep going on about not doing things for rewards, that is one of the main ideas of religion, yet you go to disprove it. Try fighting on your side, it works better.

No. Religion is literally ALL about doing it for rewards. Do something good? Earn some credit in the afterlife. Feed the homeless? Nope, your not doing it out of altruism, your doing it so you can get on Kami's good side.

You mean like that atheist who recently died, joking about his cancer all the way? The one who put down Christians all the time? Who bravely saw his life to the end, knowing that there is no afterlife?

You act like all I do is debate on these forums. You do realize that this is just a hobby, debating on these forums? It would be like me saying "Ha, you will regret it when the burning orphans turn on you, while you are lying there being strangled you will REGRET living your life, collecting stamps!"
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

@HahiHa.
Nah. I got mad because people keep trying to pick apart the mere idea of a better world. It's not your fault.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

As for you, 314d1, you may as well shut up. I gor bored reading your latest post after the first several words. Stop putting people down and get a life, before you lose it in an aptly named accident.
Thanks.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

As for you, 314d1, you may as well shut up. I gor bored reading your latest post after the first several words. Stop putting people down and get a life, before you lose it in an aptly named accident.

This coming from you? I only managed to read from your retarded piece of **** on principle. You don't know what you are talking about, your only a coward afraid of his own death and a brat not satisfied with the good things he has, wanting not only not to die, but to get even more than he already has. A coward, a brat, and a fool, words that accurately describe you.
Showing 31-45 of 101