ForumsWEPRAfter Death?

101 19739
Santi_
Santi_
1,900 posts
Nomad

Well, what I want to know is what people think think will happen after they die. Do you believe heaven and hell, an endless limbo, reincarnation, etc.?

• 101 Replies
DairyHick
DairyHick
134 posts
Nomad

the evidence is still there that crows are black and that is not a subjective finding.

To say this you would have to have sampled ALL species of crows, which you could never possible do. Excuse me, you could have sampled all crows, but how could you possibly know for sure?

food for thought.
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

food for thought.

not realy, it's just more easy to say all crows are black then to have to discribe the precisely species evrery time.

and when a crow specie becomes white i think we no longer call it a crow but give it a other name. because crows are black and not white or green, red, purple or whatever.

tbh i find this whole discussion just about being difficult where it is not needed on your part.
DairyHick
DairyHick
134 posts
Nomad

not realy, it's just more easy to say all crows are black then to have to discribe the precisely species evrery time.

You could to that... I'm merely presenting counter arguments...

and when a crow specie becomes white i think we no longer call it a crow but give it a other name. because crows are black and not white or green, red, purple or whatever.

I can almost speak with absolute certainty that if a crow specie does become white, while everything else (its bone structure, organ alignment, behavior...) is the same. The science community will still regard it as a crow. Think of people, dogs, cats...

tbh i find this whole discussion just about being difficult where it is not needed on your part

When is a discussion ever TOO difficult?!?!?!?!?
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

It will still be classified as a crow, just a more specific type. Indian crows are brown.
DairyHick
DairyHick
134 posts
Nomad

Indian crows are brown.

Haha!.... <--- am I the only one who thinks that is funny?
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

Death is the end, I don't believe anything comes after death. I'll be a pile of ash somewhere after death.

Although that said, it leads onto ghosts and poltergeists, because if they are real, does that indicate something happens after death?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I'm currently reading a book on the Supernatural, and of course, although there is little empirical evidence, with accounts backed up mostly by oral accounts, there's speculation of what becomes of us after death. Perhaps our emotions linger in a place, the book shows a few examples of places where people immediately feel a deep sense of gloom upon entering. Turns out they were places where suicides occurs.

Who knows? No one will since no one comes back from the dead, near death experiences apart. And then there's the case of reincarnations where people can remember vividly their past lives, and can confirm it, the most famous being that of Buddhist monks.

I'll find out when I get there in the end, which hopefully is decades off.

Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

The case for poltergeists in particular though isn't helped by reports such as this:

http://www.geister-und-gespenster.de/spuk/spukorte/Poltergeist_Rosenheim.htm

Apologies, its in German but you can use an online translator and get the gist of what it's talking about.

Basically the telephone acted up at their office, and because no reasonable explanation could be found, it must be a poltergeist. Then the lights started to fail or fuses popping out of fuse boxes, so again, must be a poltergeist.

We see it repeated again and again where people, rational people most of the time, end up explaining things they don't understand as the works of spirits or poltergeists. Is it not just possible that there are energy fields that we don't yet fully understand, or even that these people sometimes read far too much into unremarkable events, then embellish on it at a later date?

partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

The science community will still regard it as a crow. Think of people, dogs, cats...

dogs and cats are not like crows.
dogs and cats are like birds.
humans are 1 of the apes

all different kind of dogs got it's own name. all cats got it's own name and so do all birds got their own name.
when a crow doesn't look like 1 of the crow family anymore. then it will probably be seen as a new specie.

like a tackle isn't a bulldog or chihuahua.
a Egyptian Mau isn't a Havana Brown or Persian.
a human isn't a chimp or gorilla.
so why for the crows? here is a list of all pigeon breeds by far not all those birds are called pigeons even tho lots are if you look at the bone structure, organ alignment, behavior...

i know there are crows whit white like the pied crow. but not 1 that has no black at all.

It will still be classified as a crow, just a more specific type

probably depends on who gives the new name then i guess. some give it a compleet new name and others keep the name crow in it.
so we both are right and wrong =)
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

To say this you would have to have sampled ALL species of crows, which you could never possible do. Excuse me, you could have sampled all crows, but how could you possibly know for sure?

To say there are black crows would only require finding one black crow. We can predict that there are only black crows if all we ever find are black crows. However this is a prediction that can be overturned by finding one black crow, this does not negate the evidence that there are black crows.

Anyway What I'm still wondering is why would you want proof (evidence) for consciousness being the result of the brain if your not willing to accept the information?

I'm currently reading a book on the Supernatural, and of course, although there is little empirical evidence, with accounts backed up mostly by oral accounts, there's speculation of what becomes of us after death. Perhaps our emotions linger in a place, the book shows a few examples of places where people immediately feel a deep sense of gloom upon entering. Turns out they were places where suicides occurs.

There are environmental factors that can cause such feelings in people. If an average person can walk into such an environment and feel a sensation of gloom, imagine what it could do to someone who is already feeling depressed and suicidal? Besides it's already demonstrated emotions are the result of chemical interactions in the brain.

when a crow doesn't look like 1 of the crow family anymore. then it will probably be seen as a new specie.

A new species is generally defined when a group can't reproduce or does so with difficulty with another group.
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

A new species is generally defined when a group can't reproduce or does so with difficulty with another group.

what about all the different dogs they have no problem doing it whit eatchother. getting cross breeds and such.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

what about all the different dogs they have no problem doing it whit eatchother. getting cross breeds and such.

A breed isn't the same thing as a species. The term "breed" has no scientifically accepted definition.

from wiki
"A breed is a group of domestic animals or plants with a homogeneous appearance, behavior, and other characteristics that distinguish it from other animals or plants of the same species."
fortiez40
fortiez40
4 posts
Nomad

Death is the end us. The notion that you even have a spirit that is separate from your material being does not make scientific sense

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

There must be a reason that skulls smile.
Are those who don't believe in anything after death willing to consider the alternative? Everything you've ever done, anything you could've done, laid bare before you, and then nothing. Nothing would make a difference, you would cease to exist, your legacy soon after. Your willing to consider that, look Death in his unseeing eyes, and walk into the abyss? Absolutely nothing? No second chance, no better place.
Of course, it doesn't matter, does it? You're simply trying to disprove people's belief, that there is nothing.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

There must be a reason that skulls smile.

"Smiles" can't happen without lips, correct?

Are those who don't believe in anything after death willing to consider the alternative? Everything you've ever done, anything you could've done, laid bare before you, and then nothing.

What? Wouldn't life after death make everything you did useless?

Alright, lets go to reality, the world without a life after death. Lets say you saved an orphanage on fire, saving a hundred people. In the real world, that is saving a hundred people's lives. You would make a lasting impact.

Now lets go to a word where there is a good afterlife. You know all the people you just saved in the orphanage? It was useless, since saving them was pointless. Nothing you do is permanent. Shoot the Nazi commander in the head? Pointless, he is just laughing at you now. Give your life protecting something of value to you? Pointless, nothing attempting to save it and losing your life. When nothing is set, what is the point of life?

Nothing would make a difference, you would cease to exist, your legacy soon after

Unless of course you do something with your life. Even just having a child would allow your legacy to go on...

Your willing to consider that, look Death in his unseeing eyes, and walk into the abyss? Absolutely nothing?

Are you afraid? Is that your problem?

I have no fear of death, though I would dislike dieing and quite enjoy living.

Of course, it doesn't matter, does it? You're simply trying to disprove people's belief, that there is nothing.

Does it matter what is after death? Only if you let it effect your life. There is nothing after death, why should that matter?
Showing 16-30 of 101