ForumsWEPRAfter Death?

101 19738
Santi_
Santi_
1,900 posts
Nomad

Well, what I want to know is what people think think will happen after they die. Do you believe heaven and hell, an endless limbo, reincarnation, etc.?

• 101 Replies
soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

I had a very in-depth discussion about this topic in my mind. Nobody knows anything about what will happen at all, because if you know, you're dead. It all comes down to what you believe in and how you see the world.

I'm not too sure about anything people believe, whether it's heaven or hell or reincarnation or something else.

Also, if we are just beings made from evolution, then our minds will probably, in short, turn off when we die, and then..... I don't know.

After thinking about this for a pretty long time, I asked my brother about it and he said that what happens after death could be the same as it was before we were born. I pretty much agree with him on that.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

It all comes down to what you believe in and how you see the world.

No. It doesn't. No amount or type of belief, perception, faith, et cetera is going to have any impact on what takes place when you die. And that is.... nothing. Nothing happens. We die. Perception, feeling, everything is stopped. Kind of like before you were born, only you will have a decomposing body which hopefully you will be kind enough to donate to research or have tossed somewhere that plants and animals can benefit from your expiration.
Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

"There is nothing frightening about an eternal dreamless sleep. Surely it is better than eternal torment in Hell and eternal boredom in Heaven."
â" Isaac Asimov

I've often heard people say that the one part of atheism that they either don't understand or are 'scared' about is the commonly-held belief amongst atheists (certain people excluded - one doesn't have to believe in a god or gods to believe in souls or reincarnation or the like after all) that one ceases to exist upon death. I've always found this to be rather strange - I mean, none of them seem particularly scared of the fact that they didn't exist before they were born, and it's not like they're going to around to realize that they're dead.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Precisely Avorne. I also tend to feel that the idea of an 'afterlife' of some sort detracts from the value of our lives. If life is simply some sort of sick test by whichever deity you pretend to talk to then it is only an 'appetizer' if you will. It isn't ultimately important and it certainly isn't something as cherished when you think that something better is coming next.

Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

I think it would be impossible to truly enjoy life if all one ever saw it as was just a waiting room for something greater. Treating life like the appetizer to some sort of main course means that you pay less attention to the aesthetics of the food before you, to the delicate interplay of flavours and to the skill with which it was prepared. We lose perspective on the finer things in life and on the history behind them.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Not only does it change how you see your own life, but also how you treat others. If you see your life as preliminary phase for whatever afterlife, you apply the same on others.

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

So you guys pretty much believe the science approach to what happens after you die, which is what I think the most sound way to think of it, considering the food discussion. And MR, I'm talking about what people would believe, it depends on religious beliefs and other things as well.

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,710 posts
Blacksmith

my mom used to say:
because our soul will be send back to earth after we have lived whit god for a while.
that souls are going in a cycle. on earth while you live you make decisions that determine if you go to heavon or hell. and then after being their you return back to earth for a new "test"

its a system to get more people into heaven. if you got to hell and you found a portal to reincarnate, you have a second chance to get to heaven. but you cant remember anything from your past life so you cant cheat. i got it from the comic and game "reincarnation".

Santi_
Santi_
1,900 posts
Nomad

Seems like everything is going smoother since 341d1 left. Thanks guys.

Santi_
Santi_
1,900 posts
Nomad

Anyone want to comment?

numino
numino
214 posts
Peasant

In my opinion it all comes down what you hold your beliefs to be, if you have a religion then you have a belief of an afterlife. I believe there is an afterlife, although there is no way I can prove or can anyone disprove such an event or place. This sort of issue will always be subjected to discussion with no conclusion at the end. Its all about your beliefs.

Showing 91-101 of 101