ForumsThe TavernLeft-Handed

86 12615
Santi_
Santi_
1,900 posts
Nomad

Well, I'm left handed, and a bit ambidextrous. So I'm wondering who else is, and how things are different for you?

What I hate is if I'm writing in pen, then the side of my hand usually gets covered in ink.

• 86 Replies
Darktroop07
Darktroop07
3,592 posts
Shepherd

I can write good with both hands but I have made my left hand stronger but my right hand is better at writing why cause a-lot of people think your right hand is stronger.

psychoraven
psychoraven
311 posts
Peasant

Your dominant hand will always be your dominant hand BUT you can train yourself to become 'good' with both hands

AfterBurner0
AfterBurner0
896 posts
Nomad

I'm kinda like 60% right handed 40% left. I write with my right hand all the time. But when I try with my left hand, it's a challenge but it's still readable. I've played baseball for 8 years and I've always batted left and yet I throw with my right.
-

If you are at home plate, looking at the pitcher, you should be on the left side of the plate from the umps view. If you are on the right side of the plate, you bat leftie. Weird, isn't it?

Yeah that's always confused me. I mean, I thought it was considered left hand, but you're on the right side of the plate, with your right side facing the pitcher, how is that not right handed?

That's because it's supposed to be from the pitchers POV, if you look from there it all makes sense. I believe it should be from the ump, simply because it makes sense and he's kinda in charge of most of the game.

-
Actually, it's called batting left handed even though you're on the right side of the plate because your LEFT hand is on above your right when you're gripping the bat. Even though you're on the left of the plate, it's called batting right handed because your RIGHT hand is above your left while holding the bat. That's a fact, I've played baseball for 8 years.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Actually, it's called batting left handed even though you're on the right side of the plate because your LEFT hand is on above your right when you're gripping the bat. Even though you're on the left of the plate, it's called batting right handed because your RIGHT hand is above your left while holding the bat. That's a fact, I've played baseball for 8 years.

Ah. I thought it had something to do with which hand controlled the path of the bat or something.

Your dominant hand will always be your dominant hand BUT you can train yourself to become 'good' with both hands

Yeah, I suppose you could, but you wouldn't have a reason to for most things. Almost everything is designed to be right handed or usable either way.
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

@Everyone's baseball dilemma, if you are batting left handed, all the control is in your left hand. I play cricket, so this isn't really applicable, but there would also be more power in your left hand without the leverage of the backswing.

thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,826 posts
Nomad

I played cricket and i bowled with left and batted with both left and right with a slight difference that my top score with right hand batting is 30 runs and with left hand its 75 runs

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Wut. I think it'd be simpler to just turn the keyboard around.

Then I'd need to get used to up being down, right being left, and vice versa.
Santi_
Santi_
1,900 posts
Nomad

Wow, it's good to see so many people on AG being left-handed. And here I thought I was one of the few ones who were slightly ambidextrous.

A similar event happened to my cousin. My aunt (his mom) told him to only write with one hand because he's ambidextrous, which I think is rediculous.

Koru7
Koru7
1,405 posts
Nomad

I'm left handed!!! i also hate when the pen or pencil smudges onto the side of my hand. but my pens are usually quick drying.

I think it should be a general hand thread though....

My pinkies and my ring finger lean opposite then my other fingers.

jezz
jezz
3,337 posts
Farmer

In my old gym class at school I was put in a 'special left-handed group' when we practised sports such as javelin, archery or even some tennis or volleyball exercises. Of all the 50 odd kids in my gym class, only 3 were in the 'special' group. 3. We always had to wait until last to pick up our lefty equipment because they were in separate bags. We had to wait until all the right-handed people had thrown their javelins to throw ours. When we had to work in pairs, the 3 of us took it in turns because we weren't allowed a right-handed partner.
So. Much. Discrimination!

Santi_
Santi_
1,900 posts
Nomad

In my old gym class at school I was put in a 'special left-handed group' when we practised sports such as javelin, archery or even some tennis or volleyball exercises. Of all the 50 odd kids in my gym class, only 3 were in the 'special' group. 3. We always had to wait until last to pick up our lefty equipment because they were in separate bags. We had to wait until all the right-handed people had thrown their javelins to throw ours. When we had to work in pairs, the 3 of us took it in turns because we weren't allowed a right-handed partner.
So. Much. Discrimination!

Race, religion, beliefs, education, health, and wealth. All of these are used to "discriminate". Now hand type?
*sigh*
Welcome to America, Population: Insane/Genocidal
JK
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,386 posts
Shepherd

Actually, it's called batting left handed even though you're on the right side of the plate because your LEFT hand is on above your right when you're gripping the bat. Even though you're on the left of the plate, it's called batting right handed because your RIGHT hand is above your left while holding the bat.

Makes sense. Tried to search something on this but came up with nothing, and I remembered my coach telling me about the pitchers point of view. But whatever *shrug*
Welcome to America, Population: Insane/Genocidal
JK

She's from the UK, lol.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

I switch my hands often. Like now, I didn't notice I was using the mouse with my left. It's really awkward though, I click with my middle finger, and scroll with my index. So, it's like opposite. I wonder how I don't get mixed up and click the wrong buttons. I guess I'm used to it. I like my keyboard though, it's split in half down the middle. So, since it's like each of my hands has exactly their own job.

awesomeplayer312
awesomeplayer312
187 posts
Nomad

I'm ambidextrous..but i'm more left handed.It's cool though because if my left hand gets cramped up i use my right hand.The thing that really stinks about being left-handed is that if u use pencil or pen and ur writing it gets smeared all ova ur hand and paper.

Mvp1234
Mvp1234
54 posts
Nomad

I'm left-handed but I can do many other things with my right.

Showing 31-45 of 86