ForumsThe TavernLeft-Handed

86 12612
Santi_
Santi_
1,900 posts
Nomad

Well, I'm left handed, and a bit ambidextrous. So I'm wondering who else is, and how things are different for you?

What I hate is if I'm writing in pen, then the side of my hand usually gets covered in ink.

• 86 Replies
toemas
toemas
339 posts
Farmer

i am also left handed but right with my right hand

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

When I was 10, and I had to write on the white board, it came out all...
night-marish to say the least.

lol the dreaded white board. i remember having to solve a math question on 1st grade and i KNEW the answer was 10. because of the hight and me not being able to determine which hand i should use the 10 i wrote somehow transformed into a 101 and the teacher got so mad and punished me (and i was too scared of her to say anything )

anyway, does anybody know why people are left/right handed? i know its the side of the brain that determins it but what determins that? is it genes? i cant think about anything else but im the only in my family who was born ambidextrous. and after all that kindergarden drama i now use my left hand to write. there isnt a single person in my family who is left handed.
Santi_
Santi_
1,900 posts
Nomad

I also get annoyed at ergonomic implements like scissors which are biased for the right-hand.

*sigh*
Join the club. Well, I agree. It's probably the fact that I can never get used to playing my trumpet. I put all of my weight on my left hand, and as a result, it cuts into my skin. Yeah, had to get some stitches once, and I didn't realise I was bleeding all over the classroom.

anyway, does anybody know why people are left/right handed?

Same here. Maybe it's because I'm too lazy to Google it, go on Wikipedia on the entire history of how scientists/doctors found the reason people are left-handed.
jkl3848
jkl3848
242 posts
Peasant

My dad is a lefty, but he eats with his right, and does a few other things with his right. I think he is ambidextrous too.

emochick324
emochick324
3,042 posts
Nomad

left handed beacause you had a twin at first but it died so boom,now theres a gapso you use your left hand

yes i googled it

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

left handed beacause you had a twin at first but it died so boom,now theres a gapso you use your left hand

Um, no. Just no. This doesn't even make any sense anyways.

If I remember correctly, it depends on which part of your brain you use more or something like that. Artistic people are more commonly left handed because the right hemisphere is where the more artsy stuff is, while the more logical/rational/concrete part is the left hemisphere. Left controls the right side of the body, right controls the left side of the body.
blakebos
blakebos
10 posts
Nomad

Yeah my Art teacher is left-handed. So I think your on the right track with the left brain right brain thing.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,823 posts
Chamberlain

well i write and eat with my left hand and pretty much everything else i do is with my right hand

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

well i know what kasic said is true but still... what determins which side of the brain you use more?

Santi_
Santi_
1,900 posts
Nomad

So I'm guessing no one has an answer to thebluerabbit's question?

Tobisper
Tobisper
407 posts
Nomad

I use my right hand to write and my left to cut meat or stuff.

Showing 76-86 of 86