ForumsThe TavernOpinions on piercings and tattoos?

77 18118
IceClaw247
IceClaw247
843 posts
Jester

I didn't find any thread on the subject so thought I'd start one. I don't personally have any piercings or tattoos (I'm 15 fyi) but I plan on getting snake bites next summer. What are everyones views on the subject?

• 77 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

I'm not entirely fond of them, piercings even less so in my eyes than tattoos, but I wouldn't say no to a small tattoo in somewhere inconspicuous for personal reasons. Piercings on the other hand I would disregard, especially ones on the face or ears.

nyscoutsanimeplace
nyscoutsanimeplace
34 posts
Nomad

its like art dude it is pimpness

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Piercings are ugly, and tattoos are the same.

Thanks I was thinking of getting me a big ol' new tattoo, actually. It's awaiting a further bit of doodling to bring together a couple of old drawings of mine, as well as the lady's consent when I'm done, as to whether it's an appealingly tasteful allegory, or rather a pathetically juvenile wannabe-romantic jumble.

But, to each their own, always, certainly Nor then and as said would I want to give any innocent youngsters the wrong idea. Me, I only have myself to blame for any of my silly misdeeds. Maybe the point is precisely to, besides avoiding possible foolishness, be willing to take responsibility for it.

I've heard of negative health effects as well

Such as?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Such as?

Some are not directly related to the art of tattoo itself, but the instruments. Amateur tattoos often carry the risk of infection via the needles, if they have been in contact with blood and bodily fluids. It's a very low risk relatively by the numbers, but still a risk.

Or you might be allergic to the ink. Glow in the dark ink can contain phosphors that cause cancer. These are the so called UV light tattoos that are quite the recent fad in my country.

There are other risks that you should read up on before getting one. I'm only listing those that I've had rl experiences with (friends, not me, fortunately).
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Well, yes, I was assuming clean and sterile equipment, non-infected with Hep B and the likes, and so on.

Heck, I guess I'd better not tell how I got my earrings, or rather my sister (and I guess some others) did for me... LOL Different times, I guess, folks (hey, it's not that terribly long ago), HIV hadn't been heard of yet, etc.

Do be wise in your ways, now. I have been trying to say so, haven't I In fact I'd recommend not to fall for the trappings of supposed "youth culture", nor it's supposed "alternative" variants, too unblinkingly or uncritically. You will have a life to lead for many years to come, hopefully, presumably.

IceClaw247
IceClaw247
843 posts
Jester

I believe piercings are more liable to infection than tattoos, especially surface piercings which are quite likely to be rejected by your body.

Well, yes, I was assuming clean and sterile equipment, non-infected with Hep B and the likes, and so on.

Clean equipment doesn't certify the piercing won't become infected, it's mostly down to the person, if they do not regularly clean it then all kinds of things will get into it.
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Did someone say tattoos? Yummy.

piercings are debatable. Not for their lack of "classiness", but more for the infection chances. Many friends have gotten infected lip piercings, gauges, and so forth.

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

Piercings? Everyone's getting things pierced now...and they're getting everythingg pierced. Like that guy at my school who was proud of his pierced ****. Am I allowed to say ****?
The question is, why would you get that pierced?
As well as that, being of the female species, everyone's expecting me to get my ears pierced, which I don't want to do. YAY LET'S SHOOT HOLES IN MY SKIN THAT I WILL HAVE TO STICK THINGS IN OTHERWISE THEY GO AWAY AND I HAVE TO GET MY EARS RE-SHOT AND BUY TOO MUCH JEWELRY THAT I'LL NEVER WEAR YAY

Tattoos are okay, as long as they're not huge and irritating and featuring stupid things. Like, I don't know, a giant tattoo of Miley Cyrus on your back. That's be ridiculous. And eye tattoos- why anyone would want to get those I don't know. I file that under the same ridiculous category as "contact jewelry''.

IceClaw247
IceClaw247
843 posts
Jester

As well as that, being of the female species, everyone's expecting me to get my ears pierced, which I don't want to do.

Yeah I still don't get why there is so much peer pressure, if you don't have the latest tech or have "cool" piercings then you can't be friends with us blah blah blah. It's up to you at the end of the day to decide if you want them or not, your body, your decision and you can tell everyone who's expecting you to get your ears pierced to shove off.
Chryosten
Chryosten
17,384 posts
Herald

I'm fine with piercings and tattoos so long as they're minimal. However, I hate it when people do them excessively especially girls. I don't like them at all, and is a turn off for me.

Also, I don't plan on getting a tattoo or piercings anytime soon. I prefer the way it is now.

tegan190
tegan190
783 posts
Nomad

I'm fine with piercings and tattoos so long as they're minimal. However, I hate it when people do them excessively especially girls. I don't like them at all, and is a turn off for me.

Couldn't agree more. I think it's unattractive and I can't imagine why someone would get there entire arms tattoo'd. Not to mention how much harder it is to find a job when you have tattoos.
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

It doesn't bother me much unless it is extremely over the top, but for the most part I don't really care. It's your body and I have no say over that. Do I find it attractive? Not particularly.

Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

Don't why do you want to Draw and punch holes in your body, Ears maybe but don't put INK into your body! :/

Ears for women nothing else.

~~Black~~

Kanuck_Lavinator
Kanuck_Lavinator
15 posts
Peasant

Admire them on others - especially females, haven't considered one for me.

so there

sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

what? Have you never tried to look at a girl's tats before?

Yeah... I never had to drug them though xDDD

I think it's unattractive and I can't imagine why someone would get there entire arms tattoo'd.

Well see that's where opinions come in.. Because I find tattoos (as long as they tattoos are good and meaningful) on girls really attractive. People who get their entire arms tattoo'd... well they love tattoos xD.

Don't why do you want to Draw and punch holes in your body, Ears maybe but don't put INK into your body! :/

It's their bodies, you have no say on what they want to do with themselves I will put as many tattoos and piercings on my body as I want.

Not to mention how much harder it is to find a job when you have tattoos.

It depends on the job... and the location of your tattoos... Usually when you get a crap load of tattoos you know what the consequences of having them are and that certain jobs are just not going to be for you.. But for instance let's say you have a tattoo on your leg at a job where you are always going to be wearing pants... I mean I don't think the boss will mind it that much.
Showing 16-30 of 77