ForumsForum GamesHow FishPreferred Are You?

284 82580
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Mark your calendars! Clear your schedules! Defragment your hard drives and install those updates!

It is time for How FishPreferred Are You?

As you may know, Gantic will not be available to do his usual schtick this year, thus it falls to me to continue this weird tradition of quantifying your similitude to some vague standard through a series of convoluted and seemingly arbitrary tests.

Sign-up is open until 10 spots are filled, or until September 9, whichever is sooner. You may wager any number of Gantic Points you like, but they will be disregarded because Gantic Points have no relevance to this game.

ROSTER:
1ʭ Hardstrike
1ʭ MattEmAngel
1ʭ Yellowcat
1ʭ hafaroman
1ʭ Coral42
1ʭ Boofuss
1ʭ Moegreche
1ʭ PLGuy
1ʭ Swarmlord2*

*Additional entry, because Hey, why not?

• 284 Replies
LordLazyLeopard
LordLazyLeopard
783 posts
Constable

I know I'm not a part of this, but I had a quick thought as to thing 3. Is it supposed to indicate laser cooling?

LordLazyLeopard
LordLazyLeopard
783 posts
Constable

Also, assuming your brain hasn't exploded already, I happened upon this video which has a significantly higher chance of exploding your brain, if you're interested. It's about quantum stuff, which might explain why that's the case... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcqZHYo7ONs

Swarmlord2
Swarmlord2
2,081 posts
Marquis

I think that I may be out of ideas

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Is the problem that the black hole just forms from nothing?
No.

I know I'm not a part of this, but I had a quick thought as to thing 3. Is it supposed to indicate laser cooling?
No.
Swarmlord2
Swarmlord2
2,081 posts
Marquis

Is the problem that the other objects are not shown to distort space, as the black hole does?

Hardstrike
Hardstrike
543 posts
King

Can I get some bonus points if I say please, just so I can proceed to next round?

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

@MattEmAngel - black hole doesn't appear or grow FishPreferred tells it here:

I don't recall specifying a timeframe for this gif. In any case, you can consider this thing to show four hypothetical sizes rather than something growing in real time.

So we have 4 different situations like 4 different galaxies, maybe there is a mistake just on 1 of them...

@Hardstrike There's only pure insanity left to discover here xD We told every possible mistake on thing 1 and nobody found it.

Hardstrike
Hardstrike
543 posts
King

That's exactly why I keep out of this. I absolutely dont have anything to add because this is entirely out of my area.

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

@Hardstrike It's also out of my area - at least I read alot about black holes instead of playing flash games xD I don't know about proceeding to the next round but I guess that FishPreferred would inform us about elimination in this round.

I think I found out what's wrong with thing 4: Black holes aren't shrinking this way that much. The truth is that rarefied particles of interstellar gas (and probably some other parts of interstellar cloud) and photons give black holes more energy than it loses as a result of Hawking's radiation. This is why in the end of the day black holes aren't shrinking, but they are growing.

The best part is - all according black holes is just a theory. We probably won't be able to reach them safely for thousands of years. Now we aren't even able to see them - as solids perfectly black they don't reflect any light, all we see are distorted views around black dots. It is even possible that they don't exist and something else than collapsed stars produce such a strong gravitation.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

@Hardstrike I'm not planning on eliminating anyone in this round.

The truth is that rarefied particles of interstellar gas (and probably some other parts of interstellar cloud) and photons give black holes more energy than it loses as a result of Hawking's radiation. This is why in the end of the day black holes aren't shrinking, but they are growing.
That's a valid point, but who is to say that there aren't energetic particles falling into it from somewhere outside the picture?
Swarmlord2
Swarmlord2
2,081 posts
Marquis

Is the thing that is wrong that there is nothing wrong?

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

Is wrong on thing 4 that something that stays in the middle after matter and anti-matter particles annihilate? I'm pretty sure that there should be nothing left. Before I thought that's just 0 but maybe not.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Is the thing that is wrong that there is nothing wrong?
How would that be wrong? They all have something wrong. It's just a matter of how unintuitive their wrongness is.

Is wrong on thing 4 that something that stays in the middle after matter and anti-matter particles annihilate? I'm pretty sure that there should be nothing left. Before I thought that's just 0 but maybe not.
1 Are they annihilating? I thought they were moving apart.
2 Particle-antiparticle collisions produce gamma rays if I'm not mistaken. Possibly something else, but definitely energetic photons.
Swarmlord2
Swarmlord2
2,081 posts
Marquis

Is the problem with 4 that these particles don't have a charge, yet are labelled as such? I don't know much about this, but worth guessing.

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

I need to reread about Hawking's radiation then... It's theory from 70's so there are many different hypotheses made from that time and 1 is opposite to other (yeah I said already about 3 different hypotheses) So I'll keep with that with gamma rays... other said that collisions cause complete annihilation. 1 thing is certain - jets which emit gamma ray were observed in the space f.e. near black holes.

Showing 151-165 of 284