ForumsForum GamesHow FishPreferred Are You?

284 82568
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Mark your calendars! Clear your schedules! Defragment your hard drives and install those updates!

It is time for How FishPreferred Are You?

As you may know, Gantic will not be available to do his usual schtick this year, thus it falls to me to continue this weird tradition of quantifying your similitude to some vague standard through a series of convoluted and seemingly arbitrary tests.

Sign-up is open until 10 spots are filled, or until September 9, whichever is sooner. You may wager any number of Gantic Points you like, but they will be disregarded because Gantic Points have no relevance to this game.

ROSTER:
1ʭ Hardstrike
1ʭ MattEmAngel
1ʭ Yellowcat
1ʭ hafaroman
1ʭ Coral42
1ʭ Boofuss
1ʭ Moegreche
1ʭ PLGuy
1ʭ Swarmlord2*

*Additional entry, because Hey, why not?

• 284 Replies
PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

Antiparticles are created everywhere in the universe where high-energy particle collisions take place. High-energy cosmic rays impacting Earth's atmosphere (or any other matter in the Solar System) produce minute quantities of antiparticles in the resulting particle jets, which are immediately annihilated by contact with nearby matter. That kinda fits to the gif.

Or another hypothesis: that black thing is a black hole xD That would explain why it is pulling matter and repulsing anti-matter. Also why the annihilation happens - antimatter from black hole and matter contact.

Edit: OK that's not valid I'm refreshing my info about black holes... Black holes can't loose matter and they don't consist of anti-matter. But that could lead to the reverse gif thing - black hole should gain mass and matter and not loose it.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Or another hypothesis: that black thing is a black hole xD That would explain why it is pulling matter and repulsing anti-matter. Also why the annihilation happens - antimatter from black hole and matter contact.
+10p, but antimatter isn't repelled by gravitational forces.
Swarmlord2
Swarmlord2
2,081 posts
Marquis

The best I can find is that an emission of Hawkin radiation involves one particle escaping and another falling back into the black hole.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

The best I can find is that an emission of Hawkin radiation involves one particle escaping and another falling back into the black hole.
+10p
PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

I agree that has to do with Hawkin radiation. Vertical particles in space are being created and destroyed immediatelly - by hitting eachother they annihilate themselves. I've said before how they are being created from energy. So on this gif electron is being pulled into the black hole after, so:

Right at the Event horizon (the boundary of a black hole) vertical particles pair appear. 1 of the particles get sucked into the black hole and I was right at start - it is anti-matter. The other particle manages to escape - matter is shooting outside of the event horizon due to black hole evaporation. The force that repels matter particles is Hawkin radiation. So wikipedia lied me once again. That being said black holes can get smaller and smaller until they eventually disappear. An article said that it must be small enough to start with for these events to happen. Bigger black holes tend to grow.

Also what I was saying about creation of particles appears to also be right - vertical particles are being created thanks to energy from black hole's potential gravitational energy. Also 1 more thing. I presented this thing on 1 example but actually it doesn't matter if this is matter or antimatter that escapes. Why? The black hole is loosing mass due to loss of energy and this is the point.

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

IDK about the error. Instead of a graphic mistake with one particle (2nd from the bottom) that doesn't cause a contraction of the black hole...
1=0=-1 seems like the mistake but it doesn't really make a calculation... It was originally 0=1-1 which refers to the pair of vertical particles 0=matter-anti-matter. Or maybe is it? xD 0 stays in the middle and =1 and =-1 are flying in both directions making a calculation 1=0=-1

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

The other particle manages to escape - matter is shooting outside of the event horizon due to black hole evaporation.
Also what I was saying about creation of particles appears to also be right - vertical particles are being created thanks to energy from black hole's potential gravitational energy. Also 1 more thing. I presented this thing on 1 example but actually it doesn't matter if this is matter or antimatter that escapes. Why? The black hole is loosing mass due to loss of energy and this is the point.
+20p
PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

Yahoo! xD I'll try find the errors next time.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Correct.

Yellowcat
Yellowcat
2,869 posts
Treasurer

I started physics 3 weeks ago, this is all too complicated for me. (Except the first one, that was ok)

Yellowcat
Yellowcat
2,869 posts
Treasurer

Thing 2: I'm not sure if this expands on what Swarmlord said, but I'll give it a try. This is obviously showing lift. The curved part on the top deflects the air and causes it to have a higher velocity, therefore lower pressure to due Bernoulli's principle. The difference in pressures between above and below the wing creates lift.The error could be that this particular shape is not very efficient in creating lift, and would probably not work very well as a wing. (With some research) it could also be that the airflows above and below the wing do not necessarily ‘meet up’ at the end of the wing, which they do in the gif.

Yellowcat
Yellowcat
2,869 posts
Treasurer

On Thing 1, there appears to be some sort of letter in the yellow dot, what is it, if anything?

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

This is obviously showing lift. The curved part on the top deflects the air and causes it to have a higher velocity, therefore lower pressure to due Bernoulli's principle. The difference in pressures between above and below the wing creates lift.
+20p

The error could be that this particular shape is not very efficient in creating lift, and would probably not work very well as a wing. (With some research) it could also be that the airflows above and below the wing do not necessarily ‘meet up’ at the end of the wing, which they do in the gif.
+20ʭ

On Thing 1, there appears to be some sort of letter in the yellow dot, what is it, if anything?
It's just a ┌┐ shape.
Swarmlord2
Swarmlord2
2,081 posts
Marquis

Some ideas for problems. I don't think that the waves in thing 3 should cross over as they interfere with each other. The interference should occured once each part of the wave reaches the centre, so they should continue to move to the centre and not past it, being cancelled out as they come with into contact with each other. Thing 4 perhaps isn't meant to have those ripples in the black hole at all, as the black isn't a surface to be impacted but an area where light can't escape from, the schwarzschild radius. These are both just guesses.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

If the black hole was big enough to pull the top line into it, or growing fast enough to do so, the sun and planet would also be moving towards the black hole.
The grid is there for a reason. The yellow and blue things are not within range.

If a photon path curves, it should be a uniform curve.
If the gravity of the black hole was strong enough to bend the line towards it, it should have just created a single straight line into it in the last frame rather than a path around it.
These seem contradictory. Anyway, the trouble I had in making this one was that I could represent it as a regular curve or as a scribbly one, and the thing that's wrong would be the same either way. I thought the scribbly line should give a clearer idea of the problem, but now I'm not sure.

Some ideas for problems. I don't think that the waves in thing 3 should cross over as they interfere with each other. The interference should occured once each part of the wave reaches the centre, so they should continue to move to the centre and not past it, being cancelled out as they come with into contact with each other.
Consider it artistic license, as it was the only way I could really show that they were interfering.
Showing 121-135 of 284