ForumsWEPRWhy Do Atheists Celebrate Christmas?

140 29540
thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

I would like to know why atheists feel that they have the right to celebrate Christmas. And even worse, WHAT THE HECK GIVES ATHEISTS THE RIGHT to insist on cutting out the word Christmas from everything? Example: they changed it from CHRISTMAS tree to HOLIDAY tree.
Now how stupid is that? The trees are meant FOR CHRISTMAS! That's what the 'holiday' in holiday tree stands for, CHRISTmas. So, fire on me all you want, I just want some answers.

• 140 Replies
P0is0nArr0w
P0is0nArr0w
11 posts
Nomad

I thought this was what we celebrated...

But in all seriousness, I agree with what thelistman said on the first page. Except, from a student/child's point of view. Or something. Bah, I just like the holidays :P

German3945
German3945
996 posts
Nomad

I know, I'm saying that if Jesus wasn't born, we'd still have a number of things, probably, that we use today in 'Christmas'. And no, Santa Claus would probably exist still too, he has very little to do with Christ or any of that. I was supporting your statement or adding to it, whatever you want to say, not arguing XD.

Oh i know, i wasn't going against you

just trying to exercise a different point which hadn't been addressed yet.

But yes, we'd have everything that has to do with Christmas -- even the date, pending the survival of older religions -- if Christ hadn't been born and seen as an important individual.
Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

I don't know about other places but the secularisation of Christmas round where I live (Yorkshire, England) has very little to do with Atheism. It's mostly Christians and retarded councils who trya nd be Pc and not offence anyone etc. There was the story of a town that banned Christmas lights so Islamic immigrants weren't offended everyone complied except the Muslims who rightly said it was stupid too ban Christmas lights. Personally I celebrate christmas for the ickle baby Jesus and always sing Happy Birthday >_> nah... it's because I love presents. (and family togetherness)

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Personally I celebrate christmas for the ickle baby Jesus and always sing Happy Birthday

Huh... So how many of you sing happy birthday to Jesus on Christmas?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I thought this was what we celebrated...

Sorry for the double post but just looked at your link.

Atheist Children Get Presents Day

buy atheist children get presents day mugs, tshirts and magnets
Christmas; Hanukkah.

A winter celebration for non-believers where you gather together with friends and family and score some good loot off your parents.
I asked my mom to get me a new ipod for Atheist Children Get Presents Day.

See Giftmas!
Thyll
Thyll
476 posts
Nomad

Am I missing out on something incredible by not drinking Egg Nog

Yes. Oh, god, YES!
Gawd, I hate the stuff too!

You... You are the scum of the earth, sucking at the teat of the devil.
Agreement is me. Egg nog is the pinnacle of disgustingness.

How dare you! Egg Nog is the sweet liquid of the god/s, Egg Nog runs this world. It is the reason for the season! Why do you think it is a time of peace and family?
Here's how it works. A celibate priest gets an urge, falls to temptation (or "the dark side" or whatever you want to call it, since religion seems to really piss you off), and abuses children and gets caught. It's horrible, it's immoral, but that's no reason to diss other Christians. How the hell does that work?

I must agree here. Sure, Catholics might, but so will every other group out there. Muslims, atheist, Asians, Caucasians, men, woman, police, civilians.
Some fathers take advantage of their daughters. So, = All fathers are evil creatures of satan?
RUssian153
RUssian153
32 posts
Nomad

Athiests are ignorant of the facts around him.
Don't try to argue with them. In a sea of fools, hard, but I manage.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Athiests are ignorant of the facts around him.
Don't try to argue with them. In a sea of fools, hard, but I manage.

Are you serious?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Here's an interesting video on putting "Christ" back in Christmas.

The Reason For The Season

Pau11Wa11
Pau11Wa11
527 posts
Nomad

yeah everyone has the right to celebrate every holiday

Nurvana
Nurvana
2,522 posts
Farmer

MageGray, on your link:

The first caller was horribly wrong. There may not be an ALL Christ christmas, but to say that NOTHING about christmas is about Christ is terribly uneducated. That statement ends at the very name; CHRISTmas!

HiddenDistance
HiddenDistance
1,310 posts
Peasant

Be damned if I'm going to read 9 pages & change on this topic.

I'll just fire in my answer on the OP:

Because it's a reason to have a party? That's pretty much it. Any excuse to celebrate is a good reason to celebrate as far as I'm concerned.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Because it's a reason to have a party? That's pretty much it. Any excuse to celebrate is a good reason to celebrate as far as I'm concerned.

I like that answer.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I like the answer above, and since CHRISTmas has nothing to really do with the christian religion other than symbolism and that wanted to one up on pagans. I'd say they have every right to celebrate it....besides Christmas isn't even really about religion anymore anyway to everyone I know its gift giving, receiving, partying, and plenty of eggnog.

thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

Well then I feel sorry for you and the people you know.

Showing 76-90 of 140