ForumsWEPRWhy Do Atheists Celebrate Christmas?

140 29541
thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

I would like to know why atheists feel that they have the right to celebrate Christmas. And even worse, WHAT THE HECK GIVES ATHEISTS THE RIGHT to insist on cutting out the word Christmas from everything? Example: they changed it from CHRISTMAS tree to HOLIDAY tree.
Now how stupid is that? The trees are meant FOR CHRISTMAS! That's what the 'holiday' in holiday tree stands for, CHRISTmas. So, fire on me all you want, I just want some answers.

• 140 Replies
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Why? What do you do for Christmas?

thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

Me? I spend the morning w/ my family, then I go to church.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I spend the day with family and friends....no offense but to me church is a waste of time and all i'm doing is listening to someone tell me things that I could interpret myself....

thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

Church isn't just about being taught about religion, but also to spend time with fellow believers.

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

Me? I spend the morning w/ my family, then I go to church.

I spend the day with family and friends....

Glad you have an understanding =).
You both do the same thing, in different ways. Spreading happiness and joy, spending time with your famlies, and doing what you love. Isn't that what Dec. 25th is all about?

Yay
thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

No, that isn't what it's about, it's about Jesus.

I made some powerful enemies today...

P.S. Can you believe how fast this thread has grown? Over 100 replies in one day.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

And I thought I was gonna get a good argument going to...

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

If Jesus expects you to spend the entire day celebrating his 'birthday' I have one thing to say, does no one else think that's slightly narcissistic.

thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

Jesus had no intention of that happening. Pure awesomeness made that happen.

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

No, that isn't what it's about, it's about Jesus.

Not necessarily, it purely depends on what portion of Christmas's holiday makeup you are celebrating. I don't want to bring up the Pagans again, their names have been mentioned a lot and it's getting redundant. That, and it's been said where the true celebrations of a majority of things we do today on Christmas many times already.

Christmas is just the hallmark of multiple ancient cultural traditions, conjured by the Romans[agh!] when they messed everyone's individuality up :P.
does no one else think that's slightly narcissistic.

Slightly, but Jesus wasn't the one who made up the 'worship me' thing, it was the Church.
German3945
German3945
996 posts
Nomad

I'm talking about how on the 21st, the sun stops goes down in degree in the sky for the last day. On the 22nd, 23rd, and 24th, it stays in the same place. and then on the 25th, it begins to raise in degree again. I'm talking about how many cultures coveted this idea before Christians and used it with religious importance.
The 25th is not about Christ's birth, it's about a sort of rebirth of the sun, and it's about the return of summer and crops.

I already put this up once.
It was completely ignored.
I'd like a response.

Jesus had no intention of that happening.

Yes. "Christmas" was created entirely by humans. Christ never sent a single message saying that he wanted his birthday celebrated and heavily coveted, and not a single word in the bible alludes to it.

Christmas, in more than the past century, has become about sharing happiness, love, and candid emotions for your friends and family.
RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

I already put this up once.
It was completely ignored.
I'd like a response.

I saw it :3.
German3945
German3945
996 posts
Nomad

I saw it :3.

The religious people tend to conveniently "not see" my nicer points.
thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

Know why it was ignored? 'Cause no-one likes Astronomy!

German3945
German3945
996 posts
Nomad

Combat my goddamned point.

On the 21st, the sun stops goes down in degree in the sky for the last day. On the 22nd, 23rd, and 24th, it stays in the same place. and then on the 25th, it begins to raise in degree again. I'm talking about how many cultures coveted this idea before Christians and used it with religious importance.
The 25th is not about Christ's birth, it's about a sort of rebirth of the sun, and it's about the return of summer and crops.

Also, "Christ wasn't born on the 25th and wasn't born on year 0" was completely ignored as well. Answer this too.

Showing 91-105 of 140