ForumsWEPRWhy Do Atheists Celebrate Christmas?

140 29542
thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

I would like to know why atheists feel that they have the right to celebrate Christmas. And even worse, WHAT THE HECK GIVES ATHEISTS THE RIGHT to insist on cutting out the word Christmas from everything? Example: they changed it from CHRISTMAS tree to HOLIDAY tree.
Now how stupid is that? The trees are meant FOR CHRISTMAS! That's what the 'holiday' in holiday tree stands for, CHRISTmas. So, fire on me all you want, I just want some answers.

• 140 Replies
HiddenDistance
HiddenDistance
1,310 posts
Peasant

no-one likes Astronomy!

Tell that to Neil DeGrasse Tyson...
balerion07
balerion07
2,837 posts
Peasant

Christ never sent a single message saying that he wanted his birthday celebrated and heavily coveted, and not a single word in the bible alludes to it.

Ya lets just ignore the magi and the gifts of gold frankincense and myrrh. It was celebrated from the beginning.

Christ wasn't born on the 25th and wasn't born on year 0

By the very definition of Anno Domini meaning "In the year of our Lord" Christ was born in year 0. We simply cannot truly know the exact current year. Heck there is a missing century out there.
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

Ya lets just ignore the magi and the gifts of gold frankincense and myrrh. It was celebrated from the beginning.

Yes, let's pay attention to the men who have no proof that they existed. It's what everyone does.

By the very definition of Anno Domini meaning "In the year of our Lord" Christ was born in year 0.

Which is based around...um...his 'birth'. No other calender out there happened to be on zero.
HiddenDistance
HiddenDistance
1,310 posts
Peasant

Just for amusement & wanting to see the reaction to the passage:

Jeremiah Chpt. 10, verses 2-5; King James ver.

002: Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
003: For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the ax.
004: They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.
005: They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,522 posts
Farmer

The pagans were using the trees as idols; not for presents :P

ComradeGamer
ComradeGamer
383 posts
Nomad

Also, "Christ wasn't born on the 25th and wasn't born on year 0" was completely ignored as well. Answer this too.

I do know christ's birthday was, but cant give you the year he was born. He was born in January 7th, the Romans changed the date for some darn reason.
thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

Since when is January 7th a year?

rafterman
rafterman
600 posts
Nomad

The year? 4 bc.

ComradeGamer
ComradeGamer
383 posts
Nomad

Since when is January 7th a year?

I said I cannnot give you the yearrrrrrr.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

would like to know why atheists feel that they have the right to celebrate Christmas. And even worse, WHAT THE HECK GIVES ATHEISTS THE RIGHT to insist on cutting out the word Christmas from everything? Example: they changed it from CHRISTMAS tree to HOLIDAY tree.
Now how stupid is that? The trees are meant FOR CHRISTMAS! That's what the 'holiday' in holiday tree stands for, CHRISTmas. So, fire on me all you want, I just want some answers.

Oh, how ignorant you are. Christmas isn't even a christian holiday technically. Oh, wait, does that mean you should not give presents or celebrate family? Christmas is a pagan holiday renamed after Jesus. I don't celebate the birth if christ, I celebrate family and togetherness.
German3945
German3945
996 posts
Nomad

[quote]By the very definition of Anno Domini meaning "In the year of our Lord" Christ was born in year 0
Which is based around...um...his 'birth'. No other calender out there happened to be on zero.[/quote]
Right, the point is that he was not born on Christmas, so you are never celebrating the birth of christ on the 25th. The 25th is simply a symbolic day for the earth regarding the sun, and it is celebrated with peace and tranquility.
hiyacherry
hiyacherry
426 posts
Nomad

You know buddists celebrate Christmas so my Whole family celebrates Christmas its a festival for everyone and Jesus probably wasn't even born on the 25th of December and the christians didn't invent christmas they stole the date from a roman festival called Satannalia where they celebrated the sun because they thought if they didn't that the sun wouldn't come back (this was because of the longer winter days). Plus the christmas tree the christians stole it from another festival called yule(thats were the chocolate logs come from.) So I don't think you should be the ones complaining.

Atheists RULE

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

You Christians are way over yourself assuming you are one of the younger religions on planet Earth.

From a strictly religious aspect. This whole &quotut Christ back in Christmas" thing, does come off as seeming a bit like a little kid taking something that doesn't rightfully belong to them. Then cry and throwing a fit when someone even seems like there going to try and take it away.
thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

So Christians think too much of themselves? What of atheists, the youngest religion yet(Besides Googlism)?

Nurvana
Nurvana
2,522 posts
Farmer

XD Technically however Christmas does belong to the christians. We're not asking for what's not ours, but ti's just disturbing that some people would be so malicious that they would take something that is so innocent and mount a full-frontal attack on it.

Showing 106-120 of 140